• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2019 Peter Rabbit 50p

Isn’t it so funny that a silver proof is still available from the Mint yet they are for sale on EBay...

I agree that 30k is high for a quick price surge and resale, but for those who want to collect it for the long haul, it is a good number.

I’ve passed on this one. I don’t need like the coin. I think I preferred the mock up with Farmer McGregor in the background going ape-sh*t.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does have predecessors that can be picked up on ebay if you just want a rabbit, so hardly a surprise. Nice to have a quiet release by comparison for a change (and not being put into circulation by the way).

6 minutes ago, muenzdachs said:

it is not 99.9 % gold, just 91.67 % - added by other metals (e.g. cooper) - therefore the red colour of the coin and not the yellow/gold colour as on the 99.9 % fine gold coins

But the sovereign is 22 carat gold and it is not usually referred to as "red gold" in the Royal Mint's advertising literature.

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Bet there will be some ***** that will someone find a complaint about them selling less than royal mint. COmplainers and haters everywhere.

Again you prove your own point.

Your constant reference to "*****" is not clever either, very childish. You know what I mean.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• Founder & Administrator

@Marc please be careful of your language on the forum, the use of such words is against forum rules.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Wow, the silver proof still not sold out...not a ridiculous mintage either (OK it was 'hopeful' to say the least, but..it should still all be sold by now - the Mint's recent issues are putting just about all sections of the market off imvho, from flippers to collectors - this is bad for all of us). @GoodAsGold said as much eh, though didn't expect it to be this bad?

Had this been a circulation coin (very low ideally) and a slightly lower mintage it would have been a winner for all of us, instead the Mint screw everybody (not saying it was intentional, but we are a bit of a crossroads imvho for not just collector sentiment but for the general public). A major fustercluck for me.

Really glad I got my gold, as at that mintage I will never sell for a loss, but absolutely bamboozled by the silver - it's (almost) like they actually want to destroy confidence in their silver releases...:(

3 hours ago, kimchi said:

Wow, the silver proof still not sold out...not a ridiculous mintage either (OK it was 'hopeful' to say the least, but..it should still all be sold by now - the Mint's recent issues are putting just about all sections of the market off imvho, from flippers to collectors - this is bad for all of us). @GoodAsGold said as much eh, though didn't expect it to be this bad?

Had this been a circulation coin (very low ideally) and a slightly lower mintage it would have been a winner for all of us, instead the Mint screw everybody (not saying it was intentional, but we are a bit of a crossroads imvho for not just collector sentiment but for the general public). A major fustercluck for me.

Really glad I got my gold, as at that mintage I will never sell for a loss, but absolutely bamboozled by the silver - it's (almost) like they actually want to destroy confidence in their silver releases...:(

I have just had a look on eBay, and there appear to be 47 gold Peter Rabbit coins listed!  This is nearly 10% of the total release.  Surely this cannot be a healthy sign.  

Hi all, my first post to the forum. I have collected the Beatrix Potter silver proofs since they came out in 2016,  We (My family) have at least 2 of each as well as the latest release.

Is it me or are the Royal Mint really milking this series? I'm based in Singapore and the postage is £12.50 a shot, although I don't pay the VAT.

I received my 2019 editions this morning and while they are quite nice they are nothing to shout about.

This time around I also got one of the gold proofs and I'm not saying it's an ugly coin but it's certainly not the nicest coin I have. I was however surprised that it was #500 of 500, not sure if I were to sell it whether that makes a difference?

I am running out of space for these coins, the humidity here is a killer for anything made from paper / cardboard etc so I have them in a dry cabinet, if not then the packaging will eventually disintegrate!

IMG_1063.JPG

18 minutes ago, MurphysLaw said:

Hi all, my first post to the forum. I have collected the Beatrix Potter silver proofs since they came out in 2016,  We (My family) have at least 2 of each as well as the latest release.

Is it me or are the Royal Mint really milking this series? I'm based in Singapore and the postage is £12.50 a shot, although I don't pay the VAT.

I received my 2019 editions this morning and while they are quite nice they are nothing to shout about.

This time around I also got one of the gold proofs and I'm not saying it's an ugly coin but it's certainly not the nicest coin I have. I was however surprised that it was #500 of 500, not sure if I were to sell it whether that makes a difference?

I am running out of space for these coins, the humidity here is a killer for anything made from paper / cardboard etc so I have them in a dry cabinet, if not then the packaging will eventually disintegrate!

Hi, it is good to hear from you.

I think the Royal Mint is milking ALL its series!  If they were to produce less coins, they would have more time to spend on the designs.

To me, the 2019 Peter Rabbit is very similar to the 2016 issue, only the 2016 had more detail as it was a close up, whereas the 2019 is a three-quarters length portrait.  I think the Royal Mint missed an opportunity with the Stephen Hawking 50p.  If they had made the coin in high relief the black hole would have looked superb, but I fear they are too busy rushing to think about these things.

On 26/03/2019 at 19:21, Zhorro said:

I have just had a look on eBay, and there appear to be 47 gold Peter Rabbit coins listed!  This is nearly 10% of the total release.  Surely this cannot be a healthy sign.  

I was very surprised to see this but I don't think it's an unhealthy sign necessarily, it looks like the flippers were all over this with probably more of the public getting involved (people I know who have never been interested in coins and PMs have started flipping for a bit of extra income after all the hype in the Daily Mail etc). Also, despite the glut they have still been selling for more than Mint price, with only one only slightly over and one slightly under (seller's mistake that imo, there is never any reason to lose money on these unless it's a firesale) in the last day or two.

We shall see though!

1 hour ago, MurphysLaw said:

Nice to meet you! :) I don't have my gold proof in hand yet but am disappointed to hear this, I thought the design looks lovely in gold online with the extra detail you don't see on the silver. I agree the silver is pretty underwhelming. The best year for me in silver is the first, or the 'carrot munching' edition (technical term! :P). There's been quite heated debate on here at times about the value (or not) of certain CoA numbers. There are many canny folk on here who wouldn't pay any extra or even care about the number, but equally if I had 'the last coin of the issue!' I would certainly give it a go as marketing it as something special and trying to get a premium. There is someone somewhere who will pay for that imo, nothing to lose by at least trying to find them!

On 31/03/2019 at 18:30, HelpingHands said:

Has anybody received their gold one from the Coin Connection yet?

Got 2 yesterday from the Coin Connection both on behalf of others. Will be selling one on someones behalf and grading the other. So if anyone is on the hunt then let me know.

On 29/03/2019 at 10:23, MurphysLaw said:

IMG_1063.JPG

The 500th gold coin will probably be worth it in my opinion, as some people will like to purchase these type of number, as with everything it's only an opinion. Like your collection. 👏

On 05/04/2019 at 22:39, Numistacker said:

Got 2 yesterday from the Coin Connection both on behalf of others. Will be selling one on someones behalf and grading the other. So if anyone is on the hunt then let me know.

Yes - I received my Peter Rabbit and Steven Hawking coins from the Coin Connection on Thursday - very pleased with price and service

Archived