• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2019 Australian Kookaburra: What do the critics say?

IndianBullionaire

Hey stackers!

I have watched a couple of videos on the Kooks and people tend to like the older kooks as compared to newer ones, why so?

I read and heard that some people are pointing out that only one leg of the Kook is being shown instead of both them. 

I just want to know because I live in India and getting something like this here is very rare, even though I got to review it a few days ago and here are the pics

49CC3DA9-A504-40D4-92C4-682BAD87D578.thumb.jpeg.a7dd4426e610e2c94356d3b0e6839b3b.jpeg15449310-4C6C-42F2-AB79-9F72BFD29E78.thumb.jpeg.4f490f994122ca928b62a7a0fa327a20.jpeg40C07331-F691-4CE7-BDEA-EC7E443117C3.thumb.jpeg.98110a547fa807901a4c20ad07a03260.jpeg068AB49D-4917-442D-B341-63B36C2583D6.thumb.jpeg.ed61af1d6911e914e69c35a342c6cf9d.jpeg727EE933-FAF2-4C42-B974-966E67C7AD77.thumb.jpeg.b30a541cb17e81cd1859a15d02e84e29.jpeg

I have absolutely no complaints, maybe because this is the first kook that I ever held but yeah, what’s your take on this?

PS: Any indian stacker on this forum who’d want to buy it you can buy it from CoinBazaar.in since in India only they have in stock.

I like the Kook series because they change the design every year.
I have collected the full date run and keep them in a specially designed wooden Kookaburra box - great set.
Not a sign of a milk spot either on any coins.

Kooks were my first coins after Brits when starting out in late 2015. I therefore love the 2016 and 2017 especially - lovely designs and some of the best in the series imo but then I'm biased! The 2018 was a radical change not loved by all and particularly criticised for the single leg so maybe that's where that started (?). 2019 is a return to a somewhat more traditional design which I think was needed.

I love the series but some coins much, much more than others. 2008 is generally regarded as one of the best, quite rightly imo, but 2000, 2009 and 2012 are among my faves.

In fact I love Kooks so much I bought the full cased P20 set through here, it is stunning and one of the nicest things I have ever treated myself to! :)

It's absolutely amazing to look through all the years (well to 2009) all in one presentation! One or two I'm not that fond of (compared to the very best designs) and some are 'average' imho but the best are stunning and the collection as a whole is quite breathtaking! There are also oddities like their choices to change the borders and typesets and whatnot, I find it fascinating.

Btw, the 2018 was the first for the series I think in that the design crossed the 'border'. The lunar dog privy version was also I think a first, in that it removed not just a bit but a huge part of the whole design (the moon!). I have a few of those, love them. I was really glad to see the series move back to something much more traditional this year though, I think it's what the series needed.

@Kookaburracollector surely you are a fan? Please chime in, would love to hear your thoughts!

Anyone looking to collect a series of silver coins, which are interesting (change design every year), very well made (never seen a milk spot), and inexpensive..relatively..would be hard pushed to find better. I can’t think of one that even comes close.

I have a few Eagles,Maples, Britannia’s, Royal Mint Lunar Series and Pandas (next best but can get expensive and lots of fakes out there!) but these don’t come anywhere close to the enjoyment found in collecting the kooks.

Collecting the 1oz series from 1990 is easily done, and shouldn’t cost a fortune...if anything too easy for me, as I like a challenge...fun of the chase and all that!!

This is why I turned my attention to the 1oz Privy Coins...now If you want a challenge...try and get all of these...I am getting close to having a complete collection..but a few remain...this has taken 3 years, and a lot of very enjoyable research..Many of the rarer sets I have had to buy from Australia, which adds to the cost....just had a look at my spreadsheet:-

I have about 94 different 1oz Privy Kookaburras, and they have cost me a little over £3700 GBP, so think long and hard before going down this route..that said..many people would pay that for one rare sovereign....each to their own.

One forum member (I will respect his right to privacy) has a superb collection of kookaburra Proofs, and they are truly amazing should you wish to take that route..see kookaburra photo thread!

The only downer so far has been the F15 privy editions...the last two years have been hard to obtain and are redicolously overpriced for what they are.Those aside..

The kookaburra is a great coin to collect, and I DON’T look forward to the day when I have collected the last 1oz Privy Coin..that’s why I never advertise for the ones I need in the ‘wanted’ section...plus I feel that’s cheating! Don’t ask...

Hope you agree@kimchi

@Kookaburracollector very many thanks indeed for your thoughts and advice, much appreciated, a great post for me, but also inspiring for anyone thinking of starting a collection of beautiful coins which is very possible and also still goes on year after year with the top quality issues from the Perth Mint :) I have no doubt you already have the recent lunar and panda (Chinese Expo) privys like me otherwise I would help you out - love them!

I agree - it felt a bit like 'cheating' to get the full P20 set all at once. Nothing like the satisfaction I would have gained from assembling a full set of the originals I'm sure, yet at the same time any Kook fan should be able to guess what it was like to open that stunning presentation case for the first time and seeing the first twenty years (reproduced) of coins all in order, wow!!! :o

I also do so hope I will be able to one day get a set of the original issues - it'll take me a long time no doubt but that is my goal now :) My young lad is my 'partner in crime' there - he's only ten so relies on me at the moment, but he has the last five years (plus the lovely 2012 - which I don't, grrr, lol) and will come into his own soon. I am hoping he will keep it up and in return help me out (he is a canny, hard-bargaining little fella already :P) so I'm hoping soon we will start to work together and finally (one day!) finish the set.

Wow, the F15 is no small feat, I don't think I shall be taking that one on! Wowsers on that, well done!!

6 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

My list of kooks available to collect was not complete...I wasn’t going to mention the gilded ones, in case it caused competition for them to increase, and a rise in their prices! 😂 @Gildeon

Just missing two years and my complete collection will be displayed in the photos section. 😎

Instagram: gildeon_67

6 minutes ago, Gildeon said:

Just missing two years and my complete collection will be displayed in the photos section. 😎

If you want any help sourcing these let me know...I know a few trusted dealers in Aus, and also have a great contact (forum member) who lives in Perth..I’m sure he wouldn’t mind helping. Suggest you PM me regards the two missing ones...wouldn’t want everyone knowing 😂 

Australian Kookaburra series beautiful coin but I don’t own a single Kookaburra. When started stacking felt missed out on to many series and to backdate the coins cost an arm and leg. Slowly becoming more collector but have learnt a popular series (Rwanda Africa wildlife) too expensive if you have not started to buy close to the start of the series. I don’t buy any coin in a series I don’t want to complete because their is to much temptation to overspend in backdating and need to keep level head.

The older Kookaburras from the 90s are not so expensive as the Pandas, Elephants or the Rwandas. I don't think it will be very hard to backdate the regular coins, but of course there will be premiums to be paid. If now someone is going for specialized things like proofs, privys, gilded etc. it's a whole different story. 

Instagram: gildeon_67

23 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Its a nice coin, and Kooks are popular :)
I would however advice you to use cotton gloves to handle if you ever want your premium back! lol. 

Just for the picture had to remove the gloves, couldn't find good cotton gloves here so used snow gloves instead lol 

Here is YouTube video with gloves on :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJtrKiima9k

15 hours ago, Abyss said:

Australian Kookaburra series beautiful coin but I don’t own a single Kookaburra. When started stacking felt missed out on to many series and to backdate the coins cost an arm and leg. Slowly becoming more collector but have learnt a popular series (Rwanda Africa wildlife) too expensive if you have not started to buy close to the start of the series. I don’t buy any coin in a series I don’t want to complete because their is to much temptation to overspend in backdating and need to keep level head.

I understand your point. 

2 hours ago, youngmetalstacker said:

Exactly this was my point! Why the criticism though?

Ah I thought you meant the 2019, which as @caloundracats says in profile, and as it's sitting on the branch, only one leg would be visible.

The 2018 many thought, with the bird in flight, you should be able to see at least a little bit of the rear leg, and to be honest I agree, it does look a little odd. It doesn't ruin the coin imo as it's a spectacularly different entry, but every time I see them I must admit I do think about the 'missing leg'!

18 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

My list of kooks available to collect was not complete...I wasn’t going to mention the gilded ones, in case it caused competition for them to increase, and a rise in their prices! 😂

:o

I think we can all guess how you chose your username! :P

19 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Ah I thought you meant the 2019, which as @caloundracats says in profile, and as it's sitting on the branch, only one leg would be visible.

The 2018 many thought, with the bird in flight, you should be able to see at least a little bit of the rear leg, and to be honest I agree, it does look a little odd. It doesn't ruin the coin imo as it's a spectacularly different entry, but every time I see them I must admit I do think about the 'missing leg'!

:o

I think we can all guess how you chose your username! :P

@Fastnick where else on this forum can you discuss ‘legless birds’...buy a few kooks and join the club 😂 

@Fastnick A lovely series to collect, as has been said the proofs are expensive especially 2oz. A tip for anyone here if you do get into the proof versions I wouldn't try to collect the 2oz proof privy versions as that will be an impossible exercise to complete the set. There are literally hundreds of versions of the 2oz proof privy coins out there & now there is no definitive mintage list for them so you wouldn't have clue what you have missing from any of the sets.

Up until around 5 years ago there was a website with them all on it but that has long since gone.

There is obviously a caveat to my statement if you like a particular 2oz proof privy just buy it. They are also a lot cheaper in general than the plain silver proofs.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I got into silver too late to have all the Kooks and for that matter Koalas as well. Therefore I'm going to start and strive to have all 9999 versions of these coins while perhaps going back and getting the rest. I love the 2015 design commemorative. So far I only have the 2018 Kooks and I really like the coin. Definitely a cut above the Kangaroo.

Archived