• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 proof britannia

stevelo1973

34 minutes ago, knighthawk said:

Thanks.

Am I right in assuming that proof coins aren't circulated / mass produced and are more of a collectors piece? Or is it a test run for next year's coins?

Sorry again if this is the wrong place to ask.

Just a special collectors piece really. High premium and (supposedly) perfect condition. 

As for the mass produced, they can make as many as they fancy (not sure what mintage they decide on for this one), but the more they make,  the less desirable they are to investors/collectors

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, knighthawk said:

Thanks.

Am I right in assuming that proof coins aren't circulated / mass produced and are more of a collectors piece? Or is it a test run for next year's coins?

Sorry again if this is the wrong place to ask.

They are limited edition pieces struck to a much higher standard of strike and quality. They cost a lot more in premiums, some become very desirable collectors items due to the limited mintage and desirability. Most proof coins end up on a scrap pile in 20 years - but some end up doing quite well, just hard to pick the winner every time! 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

10 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Knighthawk this helped me explain to my daughter the three main types coins when she first started collecting silver coins.

Thanks for the video, I understand what the differences are now.

The design on the proof coin that the thread is for is really nice, not sure I'm willing to pay a premium for it though. If it's made available in bullion I will probably get some.

38 minutes ago, knighthawk said:

The design on the proof coin that the thread is for is really nice, not sure I'm willing to pay a premium for it though. If it's made available in bullion I will probably get some.

The bullion design is, except for very few exemptions, always the classic 1987 Nathan design. On very rare occasions the proof design can be reincarnated on a special BU coin.

Chances are good that you can pick the silver proof coin for much less in a few years as they don't tend to hold value (notable exception the 2014 proof Britannia)

Just now, augur said:

The bullion design is, except for very few exemptions, always the classic 1987 Nathan design. On very rare occasions the proof design can be reincarnated on a special BU coin.

Chances are good that you can pick the silver proof coin for much less in a few years as they don't tend to hold value (notable exception the 2014 proof Britannia)

Good to know, thanks :)

On 02/07/2018 at 19:03, SILVERFINGER said:

I wouldnt get off her until the neighbours complained about the smell.

Am I the only one who finds it a bit disturbing that he can think of an effigy on a coin in this way? :D   ;)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Well I’m happy to say that after returning my marked coin, the RM sent me a better coin, with a much lower COA...that had also fallen out the capsule, thanks to the huge gap! Whoever decided to run with a mismatched box is an absolute idiot!

What I have learnt:

- Don’t be worried to exchange as it’s a pretty easy, yet slow process

- Don’t return/exchange to the address on the packing slip, instead contact the RM and they will give you a Freepost address

- Expect the RM support team takes at least 3 days to get back to you via email, so calling is quicker

- They made a damn good looking coin this year ?

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

6 hours ago, STONE said:

"that had also fallen out the capsule"   :wacko:   That's it, I am done with the RM. Doing returns from the other side of the planet makes my teeth hurt...

How hard or expensive would it be for them to put a tiny bit of sellotape/masking tape on the capsule to stop this happening, you all need to let them know, perhaps they dont realise this is happening.

10 hours ago, STONE said:

"that had also fallen out the capsule"   :wacko:   That's it, I am done with the RM. Doing returns from the other side of the planet makes my teeth hurt...

You're the second person I've heard saying they're giving up on the RM, I must say I'm not surprised given their utter ineptitude and lack of respect for their products and their customers :(

12 hours ago, creative said:

- Don’t return/exchange to the address on the packing slip, instead contact the RM and they will give you a Freepost address - Expect the RM support team takes at least 3 days to get back to you via email, so calling is quicker

Glad all went well in the end :) I would only ever send my returns via SD myself (with refunded postage agreed with the Mint beforehand) for peace of mind/insurance/tracking.

4 hours ago, SILVERFINGER said:

How hard or expensive would it be for them to put a tiny bit of sellotape/masking tape on the capsule to stop this happening, you all need to let them know, perhaps they dont realise this is happening.

The long answer is very easy, but the tape would likely leave a residue on the capsule. What's stopping them padding out the coin box with e.g. bubble wrap so there's no chance of it happening? Absolutely none. They are well aware of constant problems leading to constant returns, I can only think the despatch and packaging department want to keep their friends in Returns in jobs...

The short answer is the Mint are incompetent, know about the problems, but just don't care :(

6 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

I totally agree with you and have heard the same tales of woe from many dealers, I would like your post, but it says I been post-whore liking on the forum :lol:

Give me a shout when your 'likes' get refreshed - I'll save up my most witty, insightful and downright brilliant posts for then :)

:P

1 minute ago, SILVERFINGER said:

I will sell you some likes/thanks, £1 for a like and £2 per thanks :D

Cor, that's a lot! The going rate in the Premium Members area is £1 for twenty, with discounts on futures :)

19 hours ago, creative said:

Well I’m happy to say that after returning my marked coin, the RM sent me a better coin, with a much lower COA...that had also fallen out the capsule, thanks to the huge gap! Whoever decided to run with a mismatched box is an absolute idiot!

What I have learnt:

- Don’t be worried to exchange as it’s a pretty easy, yet slow process

- Don’t return/exchange to the address on the packing slip, instead contact the RM and they will give you a Freepost address

- Expect the RM support team takes at least 3 days to get back to you via email, so calling is quicker

- They made a damn good looking coin this year ?

You are a star I wish I knew this after sending my last 2 proof QBs back because they both fell out the caps and had spots.  I've never received any postage back from the RM even though I've phoned up many times to get reimbursed.  I'll be getting the freepost address the next time for sure when when i order this coin and gets delivered looking like terrible.   I prefer to be disappointed now so I wont be disappointed with the quality once I have it in hand ?

On 11/07/2018 at 06:41, BackyardBullion said:

They are limited edition pieces struck to a much higher standard of strike and quality. They cost a lot more in premiums, some become very desirable collectors items due to the limited mintage and desirability. Most proof coins end up on a scrap pile in 20 years - but some end up doing quite well, just hard to pick the winner every time! 

@BackyardBullion I've seen a few people say this about proofs which makes me sad.  Would you say that due to proof Britannias not having a bullion counterpart wit the same design that they should have longevity way beyond that of other proof coins?

36 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

@BackyardBullion I've seen a few people say this about proofs which makes me sad.  Would you say that due to proof Britannias not having a bullion counterpart wit the same design that they should have longevity way beyond that of other proof coins?

I could not possibly say on the future of proof britannias generally. Some (i think the 2014) have done incredibly well but others not so much.

Personally I would buy what you like and like what you buy. If it fails, you still enjoy it so what is the problem. Just dont buy 100 of them as a flipper investment. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

On 02/07/2018 at 02:09, Kman said:

The helmet and background are very well done, if the face was prettier it would be really really nice 

I like it, probably not enough to buy one, but it's one of the better Britannias id say

I don't mind the profile, also this face looks more like a real person than some of the other Greco-Roman inspired classic designs. She even looks like an ethnically British woman IMHO. I like the design quite a bit compared to the past few years' designs.

Unless I am missing something, it gives a number for the 6 coin sets but there is no mintage number for the individual coins when I looked at The RM page....not bothered myself as this is a lazy design and wont be getting one. Maybe pick one up in a year or two once the price has dropped.

edit, beg pudding, 5,100 mintage. Right at the bottom so total of almost 6,500 for these at a mark up of @700% over spot. No wonder people head towards the 5oz if at all. No ta ! Makes the 2017 sovs etc an absolute steal by comparison and loads were complaining about them then....funny old world.....

I collect the proof Britannia's but have only bought a few directly from RM.  Got a call from them the other day about this release saying that over 80% had been reserved.  I doubt it.  I am not prepared to pay that premium with such a high mintage.

Archived