• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hellooo from New Jersey, USA!! :)

severalethos

Hello everybody! Admittedly, I had thought to join a site like this because I wanted to sell some of my silver for a price that was less than you can find it for anywhere else, but for more than what APMEX would give. EBay takes big chunks out of prices that must already be competitive with online dealers, and Craigslist, it seems, doesn't reach a large enough crowd. After 5 minutes on this site, though, I feel like there's a lot more that The Silver Forum community may have to offer.

My bullion adventures all started when, at the end of 2013, I had the idea to take an old black, beat up 1806 Large 6 Draped Bust Half Cent, which I had found and kept for some 15 years, into a local coin shop and try to trade for 1 troy oz of silver, as, I was pretty sure both were worth about $30. The plan worked and I walked away with the only thing the guy had to offer me.. a 1988 Canada Silver Maple Leaf BU in a plastic flip. I was happy. He seemed happy. It was a great trade. I got started buying more bullion in April of 2014 and I've been going ever since.. Provident Metals, JM Bullion, Amagi Metals, SD Bullion, APMEX, Golden State Mint, Modern Coin Mart, and others..

Here's my current wish list so y'all can get to know me a little better ;):

• MS-70 American Gold Buffalo Bullion or Proof Coin
  • 1/4 oz American Gold Eagle BU Coins
  • 2017 South Africa 1 oz Platinum Krugerrand Proof
  • 2015 Canada 1 oz Gold Growling Cougar .99999 BU Coin (in Assay Card)
  • 2012 Canada 1 oz Gold Maple Leaf .99999 BU (in Assay Card)
  • 2017 Mexico 1 kilo Silver Libertad High Relief Prooflike Coin
  • 2017 1 oz High Relief American Liberty Gold Proof
  • Ancient Egyptian Coins or maybe a Roman Silver Denarius or a Tetradrachm or something similar
  • Isle of Man 1 oz Silver Cat Proof Coins

Cheers,

severalethos

Hi and welcome. It would be interesting to see what you have if that is your wish list. The most exotic I have is a gold proof libertad set however I am predominantly a stacker at heart. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Welcome!

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Hi and welcome. It would be interesting to see what you have if that is your wish list. The most exotic I have is a gold proof libertad set however I am predominantly a stacker at heart. 

Yes indeed! Ancient Egyptian coins? I don't think I've ever seen one, would love to!

A gold proof Libertad set is a delight to behold @Stu, which do you have?

Welcome - where in NJ are you located ?
I worked with a Company located in New Brunswick many years ago so was a regular visitor to NJ

One of the issues we Brits face is we get taxed heavily on Silver and Platinum at the rate of 20% plus fees from shipping couriers / postal system that make smaller purchases non-competitive. More expensive items need to be tracked so shipping is quite a consideration. However there are methods so just wondered how you would send a small packet containing say $800 worth of coins and what shipping method you would use.

3 hours ago, kimchi said:

Welcome!

Yes indeed! Ancient Egyptian coins? I don't think I've ever seen one, would love to!

A gold proof Libertad set is a delight to behold @Stu, which do you have?

The 2015 5 coin set.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Welcome to the forum!

Bleyer Bullion is the South West's local bullion dealer, serving the whole of the UK by phone and online. Bleyer offers friendly, expert consultancy and welcomes face-to-face appointments with UK customers looking for a more personal service. Please visit us at: www.BleyerBullion.co.uk.

On 26/06/2018 at 09:54, Pete said:

One of the issues we Brits face is we get taxed heavily on Silver and Platinum at the rate of 20% plus fees from shipping couriers / postal system that make smaller purchases non-competitive. More expensive items need to be tracked so shipping is quite a consideration. However there are methods so just wondered how you would send a small packet containing say $800 worth of coins and what shipping method you would use.

Thanks for the info, there. I don't readily know how I would send a small packet to GB holding roughly somewhere under 3lbs (avoirdupois) of silver. I am definitely going to look into that, though. Could I maybe label the package as "Numismatics"? Are the import laws any different if the coins are labled as "collectibles"?

11 hours ago, severalethos said:

Thanks for the info, there. I don't readily know how I would send a small packet to GB holding roughly somewhere under 3lbs (avoirdupois) of silver. I am definitely going to look into that, though. Could I maybe label the package as "Numismatics"? Are the import laws any different if the coins are labled as "collectibles"?

Yes there is a dedicated International customs tariff for numismatics & collectibles that is 5% rather than 20%.
This has to be clearly declared on the customs declaration sticker unfortunately 99% of the time this is ignored and 20% is charged plus fees.
The recipient then has to file a claim for reimbursement with supporting documentation to proof 'numi' status.

When I was in the USA you could walk into a UPS or FedEx store and pick up a cardboard wallet or small box.
The shipping cost to the UK was fixed accordingly to the size of the packet with the option to pay for extra insurance.
I guess you could easily place 20 once ounce silver coins flat in one of their cardboard envelopes which would be the cheapest.
Each coin should be individually protected in a flip or wrap as you don't want them sliding over each other during transit.
The cardboard sleeve would possibly accept a single much larger coin like a 10oz but I don't have one to try.

Maybe a small box would be better and I am sure all this info is on-line for you to research.

• Founder & Administrator

Welcome to The Silver Forum @severalethos !

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived