• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Has the secondary silver market hit the market saturation point.

44 minutes ago, Spark268 said:

I have got a cracking solution to this wonderful thread.

how about two trading sub forums? Like the graded versus ungraded we have now.

Free Market Trades

Trades more or less as it is now. Prices rise and fall based on free market supply and demand.

Price-Controlled Forum

This is where prices are limited to spot + 40 %, it is acheived to limiting quantities to 10 oz per month maximum, with one exception for the chap who wants to offload the monster box.

The ability to trade is based on your nationality, ethnic origin and where you went on holiday in the rolling 12 month period, based on the stereotypes associated with that specific region. These stereotypes will be determined based on an annual forum poll.

there - everyone should be happy !

I don't think anyone asked for a solution. The question was has the market reached a saturation point regardless of where it has come from. 

31 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The free market will always determine the true price of all goods and services that are not subsidised.

Very true 

5 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

ill be devils advocate , here is my words of wisdom-???? @Fenlander1. @James32 stop laughing , ---   two years ago silver was just over £20 a ounce ,  2 years later it is still less ( in m y eyes that is a bad investment  a total waste of money and time ,  the spot price of silver when it does go up its pennys in the pounds , you would be better off buying tins of beans 2 years ago , HOWEVER - the light at the end of the tunnel is this (in my opion which counts for f all ) i buy silver coins for this reason , the pretty pictures on the coins ,  coins on ebay sell every couple of miniutes ,  a darth vader coin will have many bids and normally go for £40 , the people bidding on it , dont care about the spot price of silver  and neither do i ,  when you buy a coin and sell a coin , its sold as the value of a pretty coin , not the spot price , ( you all know my opion on spot price of silver  totall rubbish not real ) so its sold on the strenth of people wanting a pretty coin to collect,  @Fenlander1 recently did a 75 coin deal for a ounce of gold ,  he didnt do this for the scrap spot price of silver , he did this  for the pretty pictures on it to sell to collectors ,  the fella selling the monster box would get his money back and maybe a profit if he sold them as coins to collectors , not on the spot price ,  (however that involves a lot of arsing around )         feel free to comment , mouth off , tell me to f all , all opions are welcome ( I HAVE SPOKEN )

Moat sense I've heard from you yet. Tears of pride streaming down my chin.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

5 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

ill be devils advocate , here is my words of wisdom-???? @Fenlander1. @James32 stop laughing , ---   two years ago silver was just over £20 a ounce ,  2 years later it is still less ( in m y eyes that is a bad investment  a total waste of money and time ,  the spot price of silver when it does go up its pennys in the pounds , you would be better off buying tins of beans 2 years ago , HOWEVER - the light at the end of the tunnel is this (in my opion which counts for f all ) i buy silver coins for this reason , the pretty pictures on the coins ,  coins on ebay sell every couple of miniutes ,  a darth vader coin will have many bids and normally go for £40 , the people bidding on it , dont care about the spot price of silver  and neither do i ,  when you buy a coin and sell a coin , its sold as the value of a pretty coin , not the spot price , ( you all know my opion on spot price of silver  totall rubbish not real ) so its sold on the strenth of people wanting a pretty coin to collect,  @Fenlander1 recently did a 75 coin deal for a ounce of gold ,  he didnt do this for the scrap spot price of silver , he did this  for the pretty pictures on it to sell to collectors ,  the fella selling the monster box would get his money back and maybe a profit if he sold them as coins to collectors , not on the spot price ,  (however that involves a lot of arsing around )         feel free to comment , mouth off , tell me to f all , all opions are welcome ( I HAVE SPOKEN )

This .. actually…. Makes sense🤣

Aaaahhh😉

I’ve made quite a bit from silver on spot price changes … buying Perth mint kgs bars in bulk at low spot and selling high. In 2020-23 period you could make $200 a kg on this. Pure spot change. 

I can’t believe I’m saying this … but… I agree with @treetop1280  I buy the coins for the pretty ..sigh… pictures and don’t really expect profit. 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

3 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

I’ve made quite a bit from silver on spot price changes … buying Perth mint kgs bars in bulk at low spot and selling high. In 2020-23 period you could make $200 a kg on this. Pure spot change. 

I can’t believe I’m saying this … but… I agree with @treetop1280  I buy the coins for the pretty ..sigh… pictures and don’t really expect profit. 

of course you do , we all do ,  its toys and trinkets for grown men ,  iv just but a alladin disney coin , why ????? because of the pretty picture , and i know i will get my money back , if i want to sell it on ebay ,   because there are 100s of people will impulse buy a alladin silver coin ,   why ?????? because  people like daft alladin coins made of silver ???????

4 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

of course you do , we all do ,  its toys and trinkets for grown men ,  iv just but a alladin disney coin , why ????? because of the pretty picture , and i know i will get my money back , if i want to sell it on ebay ,   because there are 100s of people will impulse buy a alladin silver coin ,   why ?????? because  people like daft alladin coins made of silver ???????

You are a numismatic focused trader and haven’t found the market to be saturated .. I see🤔

Aaaahhh😉

10 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

can’t believe I’m saying this … but… I agree with @treetop1280  I buy the coins for the pretty ..sigh… pictures and don’t really expect profit. 

Finally might be getting somewhere.

If we are going down the road where we no longer can expect some gains on an investment basic econmics tells us that Silver is no longer a good investment metal even on the secondary market where traditionally small gains were possible.

@treetop1280has highlighted the issue perfectly as he has no knowledge of past trends only recent events and can see that as an investment option silver has become a hobby metal not an investment commodity.

Basic economics is not that hard to grasp chaps come on.

18 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

no not at all ,    i go by ebay , as its a world market - not by the forum , example iv been after a donald trump coin for 6 months couldnt get one , all going for £40 , i managed to get one last week ,  adding to this @James32 and @Fenlander1 are gold men ,   so why would @Fenlander1 want a load of silver coins , - its for the pretty pictures to sell , and he will make a profit , why would @James32 buy a load of elton john coins , because he knows people will buy them for the picture of elton john on a silver coin , when elton john passes away , -  i know for a fact when this happens i will ask him to buy one , and if he says its £35 , then £35 it is ,  and i will gladley pay , why ????? because i want a pretty coin with elton john on

That’s what a numismatic focused trader is! What means you aren’t buying for weight. Semi numi bullion I class as numismatic. 

funny you should say that… I had some trump coins but never bothered to sell them as prices too low 🤣 although I think they’ve gone milky now. 

Aaaahhh😉

oh big surprise  silver is starting to drop , lol ,  will it get back to the price it was 2 years ago ???????? everything else in the world has gone up , as we all know , yet silver has not , so to put this to bed , buying silver on the strengh of the spot price is  not a good idea ,  buying a silver coin with a stormtrooper on is a good idea , ( work that out metal nerds -, ( sometimes the fool can be right ) 😀