• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Rarest Modern Coin You Own

10 minutes ago, trozau said:

1987 Isle of Man proof 1 Angel (with Papal Visit privy). 1 of 100 COA from Pobjoy Mint.

Nice.

I did ask Pobjoy about the mintage of my coin and any other 1/4 oz gold coins, but they weren't forthcoming, stating that they were minted for private organisations and numbers were therefore commercially sensitive.

I suppose their demise makes it less likely we will ever know.

1 hour ago, Clockpuncher said:

2022 piedfort double sovereign with a mintage of 70.

Technically a pattern proof but a nice modern rarity in my doubles collection!

IMG_0440.jpeg

Very nice! Part of your doubles collection…. 🤔😮even nicer😁😁

6 hours ago, Shinus73 said:

For no apparent reason, 1980.

They made coins after 1980? 😲 😁

I can honestly say, although I do have coinage from the modern era, nothing less than the millions/billions.

I suspect my rarest would be the dateless 2008 20p (mintage unknown) or the circulation only die variety of 2006 10p, in which I have only seen one coin from every single 2006 I've checked over the past 15 years.

On 15/02/2024 at 15:38, JamesH said:

I think this is the rarest one I have. Never seen another bullion 2016 half sovereign knocking about. Marsh has it at fewer than 500 so pretty rare 👍🏼

IMG_0031.jpeg

Cheers for the tip off. Bought one from bbp this morning when they had 3 left. They've now sold out.

1 hour ago, MickB said:

Cheers for the tip off. Bought one from bbp this morning when they had 3 left. They've now sold out.

Nice one. What were they charging if you don’t mind?

On 15/02/2024 at 15:38, JamesH said:

I think this is the rarest one I have. Never seen another bullion 2016 half sovereign knocking about. Marsh has it at fewer than 500 so pretty rare 👍🏼

IMG_0031.jpeg

Well I never! Bought one on Tuesday from my jewellers amongst a batch of 8. First half’s I’ve ever bought and only had them because he wanted rid and did them at 190 for me. Haven’t had a chance to check them in Marsh yet!

IMG_0603.thumb.jpeg.bc3926b52ceb61f6ef992d59751d5d64.jpeg

On 16/02/2024 at 16:21, Wampum said:

This took me years to find, happy now to have in my collection, one of only 60 minted.

2012 sot o.jpg

2012 sot r.jpg

What was this? 

Started collecting in late 2013 only, so I didn't follow the events, issues and mintages pre-2013 first-hand...

8 hours ago, xthomasx said:

What was this? 

Started collecting in late 2013 only, so I didn't follow the events, issues and mintages pre-2013 first-hand...

It is from a set that was Struck on 02nd June 2012,to mark the first day of The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, 

The set had an issue of only Sixty, Double, Sovereign ,and half all in BU.

This is the Double, and was only issued in this set, so there are only Sixty on the market.

The Sovereign and the Half where struck on the 02nd June, so only 60 of those on that day, however it's the same strike as the carded and other's  for that year.

Almost sure it's the first ever BU double Sovereign ever minted, I think the rest for Queen Elizabeth up to that date are Proofs, and there where a few circulation strikes prior, however none in BU.