• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Posting gold and silver Special Delivery

23 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I had an interesting conversation with the lady at the Post Office when posting a five gram gold bar SD to another TSF member earlier today.

She asked me what was in my package. I lied and said it was a legal document but it was obvious from the shape of the package it wasn't.  I complained that it was intrusive of the Post Office to insist on knowing what's in every package (if it's not a prohibited item) and that people might prefer to lie about the contents rather than disclose what they were sending if it was valuable as disclosure might increased the risk of the package being stolen in transit.  She made it clear that if you do not disclose what's in the package your sending the Post Office's insurance cover will not apply in the event of a claim.

I have checked the Post Office's terms and conditions on this and she is right.  You have to disclose what you're sending if you want the SD insurance cover to apply.

I enjoy saying I’m sending gold coins! Started getting odd looks off the PO manager now 🤣

45 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I had an interesting conversation with the lady at the Post Office when posting a five gram gold bar SD to another TSF member earlier today.

She asked me what was in my package. I lied and said it was a legal document but it was obvious from the shape of the package it wasn't.  I complained that it was intrusive of the Post Office to insist on knowing what's in every package (if it's not a prohibited item) and that people might prefer to lie about the contents rather than disclose what they were sending if it was valuable as disclosure might increased the risk of the package being stolen in transit.  She made it clear that if you do not disclose what's in the package your sending the Post Office's insurance cover will not apply in the event of a claim.

I have checked the Post Office's terms and conditions on this and she is right.  You have to disclose what you're sending if you want the SD insurance cover to apply.

I posted something by SD this morning, and was asked what was inside.  I simply said a rare coin and did not mention gold.

What is it with this Inquisition? I don't think I've ever been asked the question for a SD package, occasionally for a 1st or 2nd class.

I often get asked about the value but that's it.

Edited by sovereignsteve

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Never get asked at my local PO but when I’ve used another that’s not too far away, they always ask. When you answer “numismatic items” they look confused and just crack on 

They said they have been obliged to ask since 2014.

I think it's a massive invasion of privacy but will disclose accurately in future (if asked) to ensure the package is covered.

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Brilliant advice thank you Gordy. 

You're very welcome, saves you going out and standing in a queue too... only downside is you need someone to be in for the collection but you can pick the date

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 minute ago, pricha said:

I said simply gold coins once and got into a terrific conversion for about 15 minutes about gold with the bloke behind the counter.  He was a big gold fan I found out 😆 

Ever since 1 in 3 parcels never get delivered 🤣🤣🤣

The PO asking what's inside the package is so they can assess whether the item is prohibited/restricted (batteries/alcohol/perfume etc) and what service/insurance is required (£20/£50/£750-£2500). Asking "What's inside the package?" or "For safety reasons, can you tell me what's inside?" is the pretty much the first part of the script you get trained on, but every PO is different depending on how they want to apply the rules. There's no way to record the said contents of the package for domestic post, that only exists for internationals with the logging of the CN23 customs form. If the customer refuses to say what the contents are then it can be rejected. These questions only really apply to large letters and parcels, as regular letters are ignored for safety concerns (I guess they're unaware of CR2032/button batteries). So you can send your sovereigns 2nd class plain white envelope if you want to be anonymous.

28 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Just say precious metals 

You normally get a dumb look from the post office staff 

If ever asked , I have always said jewellery and so far no problems.  The staff are not stupid, no one win insure for up to £2500 if posting nothing of value.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

58 minutes ago, Spyder said:

If ever asked , I have always said jewellery and so far no problems.  The staff are not stupid, no one win insure for up to £2500 if posting nothing of value.

Staff are not stupid, you have clearly never posted anything in Colwyn bay 

1 minute ago, Leonmarsh said:

There that bloody stupid they couldnt even work out how to turn the computer on to use the horizon system 

16 hours ago, Leonmarsh said:

Remind me never to post anything to that area

Never Chase and Never Regret 

I'd be more worried about the other people nearby overhearing when it should be none of their business ... especially at a local PO where it could be people that know who you are or where you live 🤪

It's like in the pharmacy when they want you to state your name and address in front of all the other customers ... these days I just hand them my photocard driving licence to read it (silently!) from.  Maybe I'm too paranoid 😂