• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Airport Checks with Gold Coins

nunoelias

Hello,

Justed wanted to ask if someone here has ever travelled by airplane while carrying gold coins.
I am an Expat in Germany and bought some bullion here (bc cheaper than at my home country), but I wanted to bring them home.

Are there special procedures to consider in EU space for example? Is there a chance they will confiscate the goods or apply a fine?

Thank you!  :) 

It depends on the laws of the country you're taking the gold into.  You will probably have to declare it above a certain amount, and the country will have laws that determine what constitutes investment gold (not subject to taxes) vs what is chattels (usually subject to taxes such as VAT).

For example, in the UK, quite a few different types of coins can be legally taken into the country as investment gold (there is a list on the HMRC website) and I think that the legislation in the EU is similar.  However, in Australia or New Zealand (for example), only gold or silver of a certain purity can be taken as investment bullion, and other types are eligible for GST; this incidentally means that Krugerrands, AGEs and sovereigns all collect VAT in New Zealand.

Chances are that if you're in Germany and moving somewhere else in the EU, the legislation will be the same as Germany.  However, you will have to do your homework about the country you're taking the gold into. 

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

6 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

It depends on the laws of the country you're taking the gold into.  You will probably have to declare it above a certain amount, and the country will have laws that determine what constitutes investment gold (not subject to taxes) vs what is chattels (usually subject to taxes such as VAT).

For example, in the UK, quite a few different types of coins can be legally taken into the country as investment gold (there is a list on the HMRC website) and I think that the legislation in the EU is similar.  However, in Australia or New Zealand (for example), only gold or silver of a certain purity can be taken as investment bullion, and other types are eligible for GST; this incidentally means that Krugerrands, AGEs and sovereigns all collect VAT in New Zealand.

Chances are that if you're in Germany and moving somewhere else in the EU, the legislation will be the same as Germany.  However, you will have to do your homework about the country you're taking the gold into. 

I see.  I suppose that If I take just 1 ounce gold coin,  plus some few silver 1 ounces,  it's not really an issue? 

We are talking about little more than 2000€, shouldn't be an issue...  I mean there are people who carry more expensive watches :D 

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, nunoelias said:

I see.  I suppose that If I take just 1 ounce gold coin,  plus some few silver 1 ounces,  it's not really an issue? 

We are talking about little more than 2000€, shouldn't be an issue...  I mean there are people who carry more expensive watches :D 

Thank you!

I don't know.  If you're just taking it through customs, it's probably above the value where you have to declare it, but in the EU it won't attract VAT.  I wouldn't recommend trying to sneak it through customs.  The silver is eligible for VAT if you're taking more than the tax-free allowance into the country.  You will have to do your homework.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

Dear fellow stackers, good morning!

Thank you all for your inputs :)   I also did some research in the meantime, with the help of ChatGPT hehe

Here is a usuful link for people who are travelling within EU space:

https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.eu/customs-4/prohibitions-and-restrictions/eu-cash-controls_en

Apparently the value threshold for declaring gold coins is 10k or above.  Regarding silver, there is no mention to it.

Have a great day!

Edited by nunoelias

On 25/11/2023 at 19:41, dicker said:

I have posted on this before.

Gold definitely shows up as different from any other materials on Airport X-rays.

Twice I have travelled with 1oz Gold coins and they want to know what they were at security.  Once they knew what they were they couldn’t care less.  

Most customs officers do not know what to do with gold.  You have to tell them what the law says.  In the case of Australia you need to declare anything over AUD$10k.  There is no maximum but it must be Bullion Investment - 99.5% for gold and 99.9 silver.  If you carry anything significant then you could be asked to evidence ownership.  That is when receipts and invoices come in handy.   They do not know how to read them or if they are relevant to the stash you are bringing in but it is always useful to carry a pile  of invoices or receipts and give it to customs if they ask for prove of ownership.  They will go away to photocopy the pile and check the customs regulations and come back to thank you for your patience.  At least that was my experience.  I was once leaving Australia with a significant gold.  They could not find the form to declare that it was over 10 k so they asked me to just go away.  Asa long as you know more than they do about the law and project confidence (with respect) you should not worry.

Germany can be quite strict with gold. I saw an article a few months back where they confiscated the small gold bars from a Chinese woman because she didn't declare it at the airport. This normally only applies for amounts over Euro10,000. Best check about regulations in your home country

On 25/11/2023 at 15:20, nunoelias said:

Justed wanted to ask if someone here has ever travelled by airplane while carrying gold coins.

Yes

On 25/11/2023 at 15:20, nunoelias said:

Are there special procedures to consider in EU space for example? Is there a chance they will confiscate the goods or apply a fine?

I have no idea. I just carried at most one full ounce at the time, often just one or two 1/4 oz. Never been stopped at the metal detector. Had I been stopped, I would have just declared the truth, gold price is £££ per ounce, which is well below the 10K threshold

Edited by adamantio999
grammnar

On 29/11/2023 at 12:14, Geovest said:

Germany can be quite strict with gold. I saw an article a few months back where they confiscated the small gold bars from a Chinese woman because she didn't declare it at the airport. This normally only applies for amounts over Euro10,000. Best check about regulations in your home country

Yes I also only intend to fly with small quantities, not more than 1 or 2 coins at a time. I am also taking the digital invoices just in case. :)

Thank you!

On 03/12/2023 at 15:13, nunoelias said:

Yes I also only intend to fly with small quantities, not more than 1 or 2 coins at a time. I am also taking the digital invoices just in case. :)

Thank you!

You should be okay with your plan. I used to bring back coins from Singapore, mostly maples as they were vat free and lower premiums at the time but was always well under 10k, always had receipts and never got stopped. I tried to send haggis to the States as part of a hamper once but that triggered all the alarm bells and didn’t end well.

On 29/11/2023 at 06:21, Pendragon said:

Most customs officers do not know what to do with gold.  You have to tell them what the law says.  In the case of Australia you need to declare anything over AUD$10k.  There is no maximum but it must be Bullion Investment - 99.5% for gold and 99.9 silver.  If you carry anything significant then you could be asked to evidence ownership.  That is when receipts and invoices come in handy.   They do not know how to read them or if they are relevant to the stash you are bringing in but it is always useful to carry a pile  of invoices or receipts and give it to customs if they ask for prove of ownership.  They will go away to photocopy the pile and check the customs regulations and come back to thank you for your patience.  At least that was my experience.  I was once leaving Australia with a significant gold.  They could not find the form to declare that it was over 10 k so they asked me to just go away.  Asa long as you know more than they do about the law and project confidence (with respect) you should not worry.

With Australia I always wonder if they will treat us as cash ($10k limit) or goods ($900 limit). Luckily we travel in a large pack so come within both limits, but I would be interested how border force would treat it. 
I always travel with it in my pocket and remember you don’t get X-rays coming Into a country (usually) 

Aaaahhh😉

1 hour ago, Scuzzle said:

You can declare your gold coins at face value rather than intrinsic if they have one, a one ounce gold Phillarmonic for example has a face value of 100 Euros, if you only have one you are perfectly entitled to declare it as 100 Euros.  

Exactly my thought… but I wonder if I were to carry 20 brittanias back, and didn’t declare them as face value is only $4000, whether this thinking would be agreed with. Would depend on the day I’m guessing 

Aaaahhh😉

3 hours ago, Agaupl said:

Exactly my thought… but I wonder if I were to carry 20 brittanias back, and didn’t declare them as face value is only $4000, whether this thinking would be agreed with. Would depend on the day I’m guessing 

You might have to take a seat in an office somewhere while a customs agent double checks the letter of the law but eventually you will be allowed on your way, been there done this.

1 minute ago, Scuzzle said:

You might have to take a seat in an office somewhere while a customs agent double checks the letter of the law but eventually you will be allowed on your way, been there done this.

That would be a Royal pita 

Aaaahhh😉

7 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

That would be a Royal pita 

Was only half an hour while a customs agent double checked the law, this why I'm currently trying to expand my gold jewellery, if need be next time I'm going to wear my wealth out of the country, Mr T Jnr coming through.

On 04/12/2023 at 20:50, Scuzzle said:

You can declare your gold coins at face value rather than intrinsic if they have one, a one ounce gold Phillarmonic for example has a face value of 100 Euros, if you only have one you are perfectly entitled to declare it as 100 Euros.  

This may work in the UK, but here in the states this will absolutely not fly if the customs officer is competent.