• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The House of Windsor Complete First Year Sovereign Set

SiCole

24 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Seems overpriced by about £17,000 or so. 

Lovely box and presentation though. 

Was going to say its at least a £20,000 box depending on grades. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

12 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

They're grading boxes now? ;) 

For a £20,000 box I would hope so 🙂 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

There was never any gold ban until 1980 though! Wrong country and time !

i saw a raw 1937 set sell for 18500 recently at auction. The memorial is going graded for less than rrp and for the 1980 I have no idea. I’d say £27000 -$3000 basic value. But if the 1937s are high grade it could be much more. … and it a a nice box 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

34 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

There was never any gold ban until 1980 though! Wrong country and time !

i saw a raw 1937 set sell for 18500 recently at auction. The memorial is going graded for less than rrp and for the 1980 I have no idea. I’d say £27000 -$3000 basic value. But if the 1937s are high grade it could be much more. … and it a a nice box 

Yes, the 1937 as a complete set, even raw, seems to have appreciated significantly over the past couple of years, becoming even more out of reach, compared to the other Coronation year sets.

I suppose it’s also because the single Sovereign is always highly desirable as it’s the only way to have a George VI Sovereign in one’s collection, therefore complete 1937 sets are much scarcer compared to other Coronation sets, being more frequently broken up and sold individually.

25 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Yes, the 1937 as a complete set, even raw, seems to have appreciated significantly over the past couple of years, becoming even more out of reach, compared to the other Coronation year sets.

I suppose it’s also because the single Sovereign is always highly desirable as it’s the only way to have a George VI Sovereign in one’s collection, therefore complete 1937 sets are much scarcer compared to other Coronation sets, being more frequently broken up and sold individually.

Gram for gram the Sov is the more expensive.. the double and 5 relatively less so. But not by much. If the gradings are 65 or above then the price is very much open to question. And it is a nice box. 

Aaaahhh😉

31 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

Gram for gram the Sov is the more expensive.. the double and 5 relatively less so. But not by much. If the gradings are 65 or above then the price is very much open to question. And it is a nice box. 

There was a George VI £5 graded PF67 UC auctioned for £97000 in July or sometime close to that. But on the RM website it's stated to be a PF62 £5 which I think could sell for £8000-£10000, and they're asking for £40k+ which is a bit outrageous...

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Thinking more about it, it’s genius business move. Have your other business that sells graded coins grab them cheap when they come up. When you have enough, send to NGC for relabelling with your labels and put in a box and sell for whatever people will pay.

8 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

There was a George VI £5 graded PF67 UC auctioned for £97000 in July or sometime close to that. But on the RM website it's stated to be a PF62 £5 which I think could sell for £8000-£10000, and they're asking for £40k+ which is a bit outrageous...

Yeah I reckon the GVI set is around that £20k mark at PF62. 

Aaaahhh😉

53 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

Yeah I reckon the GVI set is around that £20k mark at PF62. 

This was my thinking too. And approximately £5,000 or thereabouts for the other two sets. For a total of around £30,000. Maybe £35,000 if we’re being generous. The price is still way over the top. 

The memorial proof sovereigns in the same company as the 1937.  

Wonder when they will do a holy trinity set, 

2022 Jubilee 

2022 Memorial 

2023 coronation 

I got a feeling those who have been dumping the memorial will be sick at some point in the future.  Tell me when a proof sovereign did not do well the first of a new monarch? And only leaving it a few months or year doesn’t count.  

14 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Also think about this there was 5001 1937 sets how many memorials 1200 ish? 700 2022 Jubilees….. and was it 1000 2023 coronations…..not had my coffee yet  so might had the mintages slightly off.

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The memorial proof sovereigns in the same company as the 1937.  

Wonder when they will do a holy trinity set, 

2022 Jubilee 

2022 Memorial 

2023 coronation 

I got a feeling those who have been dumping the memorial will be sick at some point in the future.  Tell me when a proof sovereign did not do well the first of a new monarch? And only leaving it a few months or year doesn’t count.  

Shushhhh, don’t let the cat out the bag, I’m still wanting more 🤣

Aaaahhh😉

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Also folks while a think about it Charles is not House of Windsor……as I understand the house passes down the male line so it should have been Charles’s dad Prince Phillip 

QEII was the last in the line of the Windsors wasn’t she? 

I suppose Charles is Mountbatten-Windor?

20 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

They wouldn’t let him pass it down. So it’s still just Windsor. 

Ah it figures.

So then regarding the set here, the effigies are in fact the three Windsor monarchs: George VI, Elizabeth II and Charles III.

The description does make mention of George V and Edward VIII in an attempt to explain why they’re missing from the set.

On 29/09/2023 at 06:43, GoldDiggerDave said:

Also folks while a think about it Charles is not House of Windsor……as I understand the house passes down the male line so it should have been Charles’s dad Prince Phillip 

QEII was the last in the line of the Windsors wasn’t she? 

Charles III is of the House of Windsor. When QEII acceded to the throne the then PM Winston Churchill would not permit the Royal House to become the House of Mountbatten. 

15 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

We are maybe having an effect!

Price reduced...

Screenshot_20231003-173638.png

They’ve mentioned they have several different grades available - not all sets have the same grade - so it’s also possible they’re simply advertising the set costing £44,000 now.