• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

JP Morgan shorting gold?

Interesting.  I think they've been at it for quite a while, but thankfully not to the same extent as with silver.  I don't see JPM ever being allowed to fail as they seem to be the favoured sons of the FED and would appear to being groomed to be the "One bank to rule them all and in the darkness bind them" when the day comes....

Edited by flyingveepixie

JPM is not the only big boy in the field, but they do get the most public pecking from onlookers. The gold market is huge. While physical gold has an estimated cap of $10-15T there is many times of that in paper gold as some estimate $300T. This compared to the stock market which is estimated at bot over $100T (but this does not include derivatives).

And for everyone in this forum looking to buy the Wonger dip you'd wish JPM good luck. If gold really goes to the moon we would all be looking at "the world's first 1/16 sovereigns".

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

3 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

JPM is not the only big boy in the field, but they do get the most public pecking from onlookers. The gold market is huge. While physical gold has an estimated cap of $10-15T there is many times of that in paper gold as some estimate $300T. This compared to the stock market which is estimated at bot over $100T (but this does not include derivatives).

And for everyone in this forum looking to buy the Wonger dip you'd wish JPM good luck. If gold really goes to the moon we would all be looking at "the world's first 1/16 sovereigns".

All the big banks do it. Its a merry-go-round, the reason why they take turns is to avoid fines, if it was consistent players theyd be found out...

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

From the first link 

JP Morgan Chase did not, as is usual, roll-over its maturing derivatives position in gold. Instead, it delivered physical gold to those standing for delivery.

Not so sure they're shorting gold, they might have been selling/rolling covered calls for the time-value/interest on the assumption that the price of gold wouldn't rise to the (initially) out-of-money price of the call options sold, capture some interest, but where if the price of gold does rise sharply your upside is capped. Closing rather than rolling those covered calls infers they might expect the price of gold to rise, possibly quickly/sharply.

A indication that they might see more potential/reward from upside gold price gains than that of expecting the price of gold to remain relatively flat or decline where writing/selling Covered Calls would have yielded additional interest.

4 hours ago, Bratnia said:

From the first link 

Not so sure they're shorting gold, they might have been selling/rolling covered calls for the time-value/interest on the assumption that the price of gold wouldn't rise to the (initially) out-of-money price of the call options sold, capture some interest, but where if the price of gold does rise sharply your upside is capped. Closing rather than rolling those covered calls infers they might expect the price of gold to rise, possibly quickly/sharply.

A indication that they might see more potential/reward from upside gold price gains than that of expecting the price of gold to remain relatively flat or decline where writing/selling Covered Calls would have yielded additional interest.

I don't think they are either but what made me look into it and start this thread was a snippet from a crypto podcast where that were saying that china is trying to put a short squeeze on JP Morgan as they have a short position on gold to the value of 3 trillion. 

Like the majority of the c**p that comes out of YouTube there maybe a hidden truth there somewhere. 

On 09/05/2023 at 07:49, flyingveepixie said:

Interesting.  I think they've been at it for quite a while, but thankfully not to the same extent as with silver.  I don't see JPM ever being allowed to fail as they seem to be the favoured sons of the FED and would appear to being groomed to be the "One bank to rule them all and in the darkness bind them" when the day comes....

JPM are founding members of the Fed, it is a private company and they part own in. They are nothing more than a shill for the US Government. They will never go under. 

J P Morgan himself bailed out the US banking sector in the early 1900s. I guess that was the foot through the door moment leading up to 1913. I know Teddy Roosevelt was gunning after the large companies with the anti-trust legislation.

I think there is a thought JPM and the FED, B of E, IMF etc know what they are doing mitigating the current debt crisis. There will be a future push for CBDC's with more institutional control of us through unlimited worthless currency. My fear is that these banks and government organisations are inherently incompetent and won't be able to successfully deliver a plan B and the S will HTF.

Edited by Nowhereman
Bad grammar.

Having worked for JP Morgan, I can categorically tell you that they are razor sharp and not incompetent. Governments…well that’s another matter.  

Edited by dicker
Typo

Not my circus, not my monkeys

On 13/05/2023 at 11:24, SidS said:

J P Morgan himself bailed out the US banking sector in the early 1900s. I guess that was the foot through the door moment leading up to 1913. I know Teddy Roosevelt was gunning after the large companies with the anti-trust legislation.

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.723693926.0354/bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

On 13/05/2023 at 20:15, dicker said:

Having worked for JP Morgan, I can categorically tell you that they are razor sharp and not incompetent. Governments…well that’s another matter.  

I worked at Barclays at the sharp end for 30 years.  when I started we were razor sharp Essex barrow Boys, numbers in your head like a book maker, fast and all in.  

when I left we were all knowing information super kings with all the toys to be ahead of the game. but that was ten years ago. the new generation laughed at us with their computer skills and data harvesting

what they are up to now with A.I. etc must be frightening.   either way. bet on the big banks. not the government.  

Edited by CANV