• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Member from the UK

Just wanted to say hello. I am totally new to buying/selling gold. I am planning my first purchase, after some research I think a 10g gold bar. I understand coins are good but don't know enough about them, so kinda nervous with them. 

I hope to learn and grow with you all and please let me apologise in advance for any newbie moments, I'm sure they will be many however, I hope one day I will benefit at least one of you. 

Any advice, tips or guidance is most welcome. 

Thanks for reading my post. 

Edited by JamesOz
Not explained well and spelling, newbie moment.

3 hours ago, JamesOz said:

Just wanted to say hello. I am totally new to buying/selling gold. I am planning my first purchase, after some research I think a 10g gold bar. I understand coins are good but don't know enough about them, so kinda nervous with them. 

I hope to learn and grow with you all and please let me apologise in advance for any newbie moments, I'm sure they will be many however, I hope one day I will benefit at least one of you. 

You might just find this useful:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, JamesOz said:

Welcome aboard james.

Firstly, there's nothing wrong with a 10g bar, that's a very healthy start. If you are only buying because you think they are safer than coins, they are not unfortunately. Please make sure to buy from a reputable source, someone on here with good feedback and activity levels ( unfortunately carded gold is heavily faked) and can easily fool new stackers, due to it being carded and and our unwillingness to remove from packaging. 

Sovereigns or 1/4oz britannias are another option and CGT free, whilst they may make you nervous now, as long as your buy from the correct sources ( your effectively buying their experience too) so there nothing to worry about, as long as you do your due diligence. 

Coins also offer a learning experience, the history and you learning to measure and weigh them etc,it's all part of the fun.

Any help needed whatsoever and don't be shy to ask, there's someone on here with the answer to the question yet to be asked. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

38 minutes ago, James32 said:

Sovereigns or 1/4oz britannias are another option and CGT free

Another point about recent (generally 2021 onwards) Britannias is that they have security features that might give you extra confidence (although, as James32 says, the key point is buying from a reputable source). There are many videos on Youtube which cover this if you search for something like "Gold Britannia security features".

Edit: maybe try this one:

Edited by Anteater

as @James32 said, carded is ok and 10g is a good start but this will undoubtadly cost you over £500.

i'd go for a good quality 1/4 gold brit in a cap..... 

great coin AND so much more detail than a bar and of course you can touch it...

people do tend to leave carded bars in their packaging so the feel of touching what you own isnt the same and brits are very liquid too so easy to move on if you need to and well under £500.00 for nearly 8 grams 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Hello and welcome,

I would recommend more research before deciding on what to buy as your first purchase.  While there are people that stack bars they are in the minority and coins tend to be more popular making them more liquid when you sell.  Whatever you decide though DO NOT buy a gold bar from eBay, a lot of fakes.  Stick to a dealer or one of the reputable sellers on here.  I also agree completely with what other have said regarding the security features on modern Britannia coins.

Good luck whatever you decide

• Founder & Administrator

Hello and welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Awh thanks everyone for the love and advice. I have learnt bars are the easiest to fake, to be honest I would rather spend the little extra to ensure it's genuine. I have been looking at a reputable website (not sure if I'm allowed to post there name, BBP might give a hint). 

However you guys make a great case for coins. I'm glad you said newer is more secure, I thought the older it is the more valuable so avoid new coins. Yep total novice here haha.

What originally put me off was, I watched a backyard bullion video with the LucreZia Delfini coin, I thought that's something I would have probably bought. The thought you now nothing about coins so don't even look. So I'm not sure what to look for in a coin. I think what I've learnt is Britannias and the Original sovereigns are good, not the ones pinching the name, whoever they are. 

Is there way to understand what's good and what to avoid?

Tell you what, you guys have cheered me up, I can't afford the 10g right now and was planning to save a couple of months and was feeling down about it. I have a family so it's not easy to spend/gamble, but I reckon I could afford starting with a coin.

This is so exciting!

Can anyone recommend a first time coin I should buy?

1 minute ago, JamesOz said:

Awh thanks everyone for the love and advice. I have learnt bars are the easiest to fake, to be honest I would rather spend the little extra to ensure it's genuine. I have been looking at a reputable website (not sure if I'm allowed to post there name, BBP might give a hint). 

However you guys make a great case for coins. I'm glad you said newer is more secure, I thought the older it is the more valuable so avoid new coins. Yep total novice here haha.

What originally put me off was, I watched a backyard bullion video with the LucreZia Delfini coin, I thought that's something I would have probably bought. The thought you now nothing about coins so don't even look. So I'm not sure what to look for in a coin. I think what I've learnt is Britannias and the Original sovereigns are good, not the ones pinching the name, whoever they are. 

Tell you what, you guys have cheered me up, I can't afford the 10g right now and was planning to save a couple of months and was feeling down about it. I have a family so it's not easy to spend/gamble, but I reckon I could afford starting with a coin.

This is so exciting!

Bullionbypost are the most expensive dealer in the UK...buying from there unless desperate is the first "NO" although a great company otherwise. 

You have chards.co.uk who are actually active on here.. gerrardsbullion.com..atkinsonsbullion.com..Atsbullion.com..hattongardenmetals.com 

But you can probably get cheaper on here, just do due diligence and read the members feedback with a fine tooth comb.

I'd start with a sovereign tbh.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

7 minutes ago, James32 said:

Bullionbypost are the most expensive dealer in the UK...buying from there unless desperate is the first "NO" although a great company otherwise. 

You have chards.co.uk who are actually active on here.. gerrardsbullion.com..atkinsonsbullion.com..Atsbullion.com..hattongardenmetals.com 

But you can probably get cheaper on here, just do due diligence and read the members feedback with a fine tooth comb.

I'd start with a sovereign tbh.

I'd put forward the London coin company as a competitor for the title of most expensive coin dealer in the UK. 

15 minutes ago, JamesOz said:

This is so exciting!

If youre on a tight budget but still want a nice gold coin on a low premium...... Half sovs or full sovs are the best bet. Current years tend to be the cheapest as they're abundant across all dealers and sellers. Same for 1/10th britannias although the premium on the smaller coins can put people off in the long run but they are a great little coin to curb the buying urge. There's a lot to be said for them.... you don't have to sell a whole ounce if all you need is an emergency 200 quid for example. The world is your oyster and here on the forum you are amongst many friends that like you , have been bitten by the bug. Just try not to slip so far down the greasy pole as @James32 who now has to pimp out his hoover for a quick sucky sucky for 5 dalla

Just now, JamesOz said:

Ok I'm going to look for Sovereigns and britannias, both for recent years. 

I heard other companies use the name sovereign but aren't sovereigns, is it a particular company that does the actual sovereigns? 

Royal Mint sovereigns make the real ones mate, the others are just commercial gold coins and not worth paying much above spot for

Ok I've got it I'm looking out for Royal Mint Sovereigns and Britannias. 

Awh thanks guy. I will look on website mentioned above to familiarise myself, hopefully if I don't get to excited I will wait to purchase one here. 

Thanks again for all the advise everyone.

Ok I've got it I'm looking out for Royal Mint Sovereigns and Britannias. 

Awh thanks guy. I will look on website mentioned above to familiarise myself, hopefully if I don't get to excited I will wait to purchase one here. 

Thanks again for all the advise everyone.

Some crackers up on sale here at the moment, been a glut of them this week.  Some nice silver bits and bobs up for grabs too

Is Silver a good option? I though I heard or read Silver isn't going to be worth it. But I understand there loads of misleading info. 

I tried to get into Crypto that was a joke, every coin I was advised to invest in just plummeted afterwords. Everybody avoid crypto, heard bitcoin is good but I no nothing about it. 

Is Silver a good option? I though I heard or read Silver isn't going to be worth it. But I understand there loads of misleading info. 

I tried to get into Crypto that was a joke, every coin I was advised to invest in just plummeted afterwords. Everybody avoid crypto, heard bitcoin is good but I no nothing about it. 

Lots of opinions on that mate, I concentrate on gold myself and just buy the odd tube of Britannia's, usually just one or two a year.
I do have some other bits like 10oz Queens Beasts but generally I only buy silver very occasionally
I have been doing this a while and never lost money on Gold, I cant say the same for silver though