• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Eagle price question

Aecoin

From what i have seen online from USA stackers their premiums have risen a lot and that is passed on to us unless what they say is wrong 

Edited by Rains

Basically as @Rains says, the us mint are having a mare and releasing very little currently ( supply chain issues with silver blanks) so the price in the US increases, therefore as we have to import, then we bare the brunt +vat.

You can probably secure them on here for £28/£29 if you put up a wanted post

9 hours ago, Aecoin said:

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

On 04/11/2022 at 12:49, Aecoin said:
On 04/11/2022 at 20:19, Rains said:

From what i have seen online from USA stackers their premiums have risen a lot and that is passed on to us unless what they say is wrong 

I would advise you to read this first:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

It does not comment directly on American Silver Eagles, but will still answer your question, and some others which you have not asked.

😎

@Aecoin Did you see this?

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

Here is my hot take:  The (ultimately) doomed U.S. dollar is the catalyst for outrageous premiums on U.S. government bullion in order to deter it's citizens from flocking to a tangible, sound form of money.  Obviously those premiums would extend worldwide.   

Since Covid started the premiums on silver eagles were rising in the US. Now a mixture of supply issues and a bit of sustained sentimental value on eagles gives us the insane premiums here in the UK but also in the US

Let's not forget prior to Covid the folks in the United States were able to buy silver at spot (most probably generic silver) but those days are long gone now. 

We used to envy the folks in the US for being able to get silver much cheaper than us here in the UK but it is now almost leveling off.

Edited by Tn21

Prices here in the US are almost 40 USD for eagles, about 36 oz not including shipping. Many of us only do rounds due to this. I do buy brits and phillies if the price is right, both beautiful coins.  At the moment those are also high so mostly sticking with rounds or bars which prior to this past week were running about 22-25 USD/oz. Fortunately awhile back I won 80 eagles on a reddit contest and had some of my own so I have about 225 of them or so that I am just holding for now. Hope this helps !

On 05/11/2022 at 00:07, MetalMandible said:

Here is my hot take:  The (ultimately) doomed U.S. dollar is the catalyst for outrageous premiums on U.S. government bullion in order to deter it's citizens from flocking to a tangible, sound form of money.  Obviously those premiums would extend worldwide.   

You possibly could be right because linking a PM coin like an ASE i.e. a tangible physical asset rather than a spreadsheet or algorithm in the ether of the financial system, only illustrates that the USA dollar is artificially inflated. If the true dollar is overvalued by say 20% then that might be built in to reflect in the cost of the asset. That's my thinking right now. I just returned from the USA where essentially the GBP was near parity with the USD and I don't believe the GBP is such a poor currency meaning the USD is overinflated and will in the relatively near future return to normal by maybe dropping 15-20%.

On 04/11/2022 at 12:49, Aecoin said:
On 04/11/2022 at 22:19, James32 said:

Basically as @Rains says, the us mint are having a mare and releasing very little currently ( supply chain issues with silver blanks) so the price in the US increases, therefore as we have to import, then we bare the brunt +vat.

You can probably secure them on here for £28/£29 if you put up a wanted post

On 04/11/2022 at 22:53, SilverPlatinum said:

As others have commented, the US Mint are strugglint to meet demand and source enough blanks.

It seems like they have increased their premiums, and it also sounds like their distributors have also increased theirs, yet can still sell all they can source, so why not,wouldn't you?

The real mystery here is why people are still buying them in big quantities.

Do they not realise? Do they not care?

Why not exercise "choice" and buy a similar alternative?

For the North American market, Canadian Maples would be an obvious choice, although I have not compared their prices.

It takes buyers as well as sellers to create a market.

If buyers stopped buying, then premiums would return to "normal" levels.

Read any information source about supply and demand in seconomics, for example: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

Which includes:

"Just as the supply curve parallels the marginal cost curve, the demand curve parallels marginal utility, measured in dollars. Consumers will be willing to buy a given quantity of a good, at a given price, if the marginal utility of additional consumption is equal to the opportunity cost determined by the price, that is, the marginal utility of alternative consumption choices. The demand schedule is defined as the willingness and ability of a consumer to purchase a given product at a certain time."

Although I am sure I have seen simpler explanations amd examples of "choice".

😎

Chards