• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Caution when using PayPal, Solachesis is not a happy bunny.

I recently found a 1/2 Pahlavi in an online numismatic coin shop, so I jumped at the opportunity and wanted to check out ASAP, so I used PayPal.

Ive used PayPal for many years with no issue, and always used it for eBay. However, after making the payment, I get an email saying: 

As part of our security measures, we review certain payments more closely to ensure our platform is being used properly and to minimise the potential risk for us and our customers. One of the payments that you sent is currently being reviewed.

I see the item bought has "Iran" in the purchase name, perhaps automatically flagged due to sanctions?

Anyway, it's been pending for 3 days now, and I'm not impressed. I don't have the option to cancel it and then make the payment by bank transfer to the seller instead, so now I'm sat in payment limbo.

Not using PayPal again, considering the recent backlash for their authoritarian policies they tried to implement, I'll probably be deleting PayPal after all this.

Rant over, anyway, buyer beware when using PayPal 

Paypal I dont use anymore. They have turned in the woke thought police. Also they can fine you up $2500 also now. Loads have closed their accounts. Initially there was stink about the fine but they've quietly reintroduced it....

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

2 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Paypal I dont use anymore. They have turned in the woke thought police. Also they can fine you up $2500 also now. Loads have closed their accounts. Initially there was stink about the fine but they've quietly reintroduced it....

Oh they've reintroduced that? Crazy. 

I have. A pile of old Iranian coins that I have tried to list on eBay, the algo picks them up every time. Somone once said list them as Persian but that didn't work either. Unfortunately I think it's law that any American company can't deal with goods from a country on the embargo list. 

I ditched PayPal a few years back because they started meddling in politics and freezing the accounts of certain youtubers.  I have never regretted the decision since it didn't really add any value anyway.

The recent furore over the $2500 "fines" just made more people aware of their political meddling.  There's a saying "get woke, go broke" and I think a number of high profile companies are smarting from such transgressions lately.  Personally I think companies should steer clear of politics and remain as neutral as possible as otherwise they will always end up alienating some part of their customer base.

57 minutes ago, PhilOdgny said:

I ditched PayPal a few years back because they started meddling in politics and freezing the accounts of certain youtubers.  I have never regretted the decision since it didn't really add any value anyway.

The recent furore over the $2500 "fines" just made more people aware of their political meddling.  There's a saying "get woke, go broke" and I think a number of high profile companies are smarting from such transgressions lately.  Personally I think companies should steer clear of politics and remain as neutral as possible as otherwise they will always end up alienating some part of their customer base.

Corporations collude in thier best interest to make money, fact its happened for years.....  the political spinning is guise for thier mates in corporations to steer their agenda. 

Rothschilds and Rockerfella own the media and corporations and they certainly own the politicians so they get their payday when they retire out of politics...

Go look at the history.....it proves it categorically 

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

On 01/11/2022 at 13:43, Bigmarc said:

I have. A pile of old Iranian coins that I have tried to list on eBay, the algo picks them up every time. Somone once said list them as Persian but that didn't work either. Unfortunately I think it's law that any American company can't deal with goods from a country on the embargo list. 

Ebay and it's algorithms are irritating - it's as dumb as using certain words and certain categories. 

For example their is a commonly used cable in the CCTV industry known as "shotgun" as it resembles a shotgun barrel. List it in the correct category and you'll be stopped dead in your tracks. However deliberately categorise it wrong and you may get to list it... depending on if it's Tuesday, which direction the wind is blowing and what colour socks HM King Charles is wearing.

And don't get me started on carbon monoxide detectors. I swear to God it must be easier to sell intercontinental ballistic missiles on ebay.

Reversed or not, if they give you that much grief for an innocent purchase then probably best to ditch them. I closed mine recently because it's an automated interrogation sequence to do the most basic tasks with them. I only ever signed up to the damn thing in 2004 when using eBay for the first time and they didn't take bank payments yet. Certainly not needed now. Goodbye PayPal.

2 hours ago, bluemoon said:

Reversed or not, if they give you that much grief for an innocent purchase then probably best to ditch them. I closed mine recently because it's an automated interrogation sequence to do the most basic tasks with them. I only ever signed up to the damn thing in 2004 when using eBay for the first time and they didn't take bank payments yet. Certainly not needed now. Goodbye PayPal.

Yeah I'm awaiting the refund to appear back in my bank, and then I'm gonna close my PayPal account

2 hours ago, SilverPlatinum said:

🙁 You are not the only one. PayPal crucified me when I tried paying for Cubans' coins (sold from Europe NOT Cuba)!!!

Here is a link for my story:

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/58614-paypal-crucifying-anything-related-to-cuba

Thanks for sharing, it's ridiculous, you'd at least expect their automated system to flag it if the payment was going to an address held by someone in said country, or a domain name based in that country. I'm not going to use PP again