• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Did I over pay???

Ukbullionfan

Just a quick one guys. I was going to to a date run of sovs but I’m not too sure now l. Anyway I purchase these from BBP yes I know they are usually over the top I just wanted to know if i over paid ? I’ve been offered £330 each for them from a dealer which makes me lose  around £120. I’m not sure if I will sell them but I just wanted to know if I over paid.

2013 Elizabeth II Fourth Head just over  £380 

2014 Elizabeth II Fourth Head just over  £400

39 minutes ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Just a quick one guys. I was going to to a date run of sovs but I’m not too sure now l. Anyway I purchase these from BBP yes I know they are usually over the top I just wanted to know if i over paid ? I’ve been offered £330 each for them from a dealer which makes me lose  around £120. I’m not sure if I will sell them but I just wanted to know if I over paid.

I'm sure there's members on here that pay about £7.40 for a sovereign, but mine recently have been between £360 and £410, so yours are about right i'd say

To some extent buying and selling direct to a dealer is never going to make you feel that good.  I think buying has benefits but selling you're going to get a price that is reasonable for them to be able to make a profit, you'll always get the worse end of the trades.  

Ps i''d quite like a 2014 if you are looking to sell and ill pay more than 330 😇

59 minutes ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Why even bother comparing your purchase price with an offer from a dealer? It's obvious that dealer will offer you just bare minimum. You will continue "losing" in this way with every purchase you make if you keep doing so..!

1 hour ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Great advice already offered. 

In todays market you probably overpaid by £5 and £15 respectively, so not bad for a dealer tbh.

In saying that current pure gold spot value of a sovereign is approximately £355 so the dealer who made the offer whilst low, needs to factor in his upside. Basically only sell to a dealer when you are either in enough profit for ease of sale/safety reasons. Or when the bailiffs are removing the light fittings from your house.

Sell on here and you can expect £370 give or take for generic years 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

5 minutes ago, James32 said:

Great advice already offered. 

In todays market you probably overpaid by £5 and £15 respectively, so not bad for a dealer tbh.

In saying that current pure gold spot value of a sovereign is approximately £355 so the dealer who made the offer whilst low, needs to factor in his upside. Basically only sell to a dealer when you are either in enough profit for ease of sale/safety reasons. Or when the bailiffs are removing the light fittings from your house.

Sell on here and you can expect £370 give or take for generic years 

Thanks for the advice James. Is your hoover working by any chance ? Lol.

Just now, Ukbullionfan said:

Thanks for the advice James. Is your hoover working by any chance ? Lol.

Not really going for generic years personally, but I'd imagine they will literally sell in minutes if you list.

1 minute ago, Zeuk said:

If you do decide you want to sell (and assuming its before i spew all my spare money on more fondle sticks) i'd buy the 2014 for £370, mintys are going from dealer at 375 so it seems a fair price.

Very fair 

1 hour ago, Ukbullionfan said:

You have not done badly for dealer prices, especially for BBP.

That's a good run to do as well, 2009-2015 Fourth Bust Second Reverse, as it is only 6 sovereign.  A couple of the years can be a pain to find but if you buy best value minty's from Chards they are usually QEII's and you can sell any duplicates.  If you do carry on with your run I have a spare 2011 I think, sure I can sort you a good price.  Were I selling those years I would be looking to price at £370-£375, it is on par with the lowest dealer price but the buyer gets to see the coins and know the year before buying.

1 minute ago, Orpster said:

You have not done badly for dealer prices, especially for BBP.

That's a good run to do as well, 2009-2015 Fourth Bust Second Reverse, as it is only 6 sovereign.  A couple of the years can be a pain to find but if you buy best value minty's from Chards they are usually QEII's and you can sell any duplicates.  If you do carry on with your run I have a spare 2011 I think, sure I can sort you a good price.  Were I selling those years I would be looking to price at £370-£375, it is on par with the lowest dealer price but the buyer gets to see the coins and know the year before buying.

Damn you OP lol I’m flip flopping in my mind now. You have came up with some great points there. Grrrrr at my brain.

1 minute ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Damn you OP lol I’m flip flopping in my mind now. You have came up with some great points there. Grrrrr at my brain.

My rule, never sell at a loss.  It is fine to wipe your face but never sell at a loss unless you really need the cash.  Two ways out, hold till spot rises (beware of dips when the recession kicks in but they are likely to be short lived) or complete the run, buy a nice little six sovereign box and stick 10% on the going price and stick it on eBay.

Just now, Orpster said:

My rule, never sell at a loss.  It is fine to wipe your face but never sell at a loss unless you really need the cash.  Two ways out, hold till spot rises (beware of dips when the recession kicks in but they are likely to be short lived) or complete the run, buy a nice little six sovereign box and stick 10% on the going price and stick it on eBay.

You can also cost average, pick the rest up at £370 and the £400 does not matter, though you are looking around £405 for the 2012 right about now, if not a touch more.  

On 05/10/2022 at 21:04, Ukbullionfan said:

A bid price of £330 each is astoundingly low with the intrinsic gold content of a sovereign at about  £358. That's about an 8% discount.

Was it from a jeweller of pawnbroker? It could hardly be from a real bullion dealer. It's such a rip-off price!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards