• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Wrong Again - Am I Losing It?

Wrong Again - Am I Losing It?

I know I am not perfect, and so I do make mistakes - unlike most politicians. Not that politicians are perfect, or don't make mistakes, just that they never seem to realise or admit they are wrong. Fortunately, I do.

But in the last few weeks, I seem to have been wrong more times than usual, especially in such a short period of time.

In my defence, much of what I was wrong about were guesses, and stated as such. I did get quite a lot right, but there were more "failures" than I expected.

1) I forecast there would be no 2022 dated UK coins issued with King Charles' portrait and titles. - Wrong!

653414641_2022charlescoins-1200x700-qeii_memorial.thumb.jpg.8a358d92f6156cd97d546dac2653744e.jpg

Although it is now certain that there will be 2023 dated UK coins issued with King Charles' portrait and titles, and that these are almost certain to appear as early as January 2023, so I will have got that right, despite a statement by The Royal Australian Mint suggesting they would not adopt Charles' portrait before 2024, and "Historically, coins bearing a new Sovereign’s effigy were released approximately 12 months after coronation of the Sovereign."

2) I forecast, with more certainty, there it was very unlikely that 2023 dated UK coins issued with King Charles' portrait and titles would be issued for circulation during 2022. - Wrong!

2022-MOCKUP-charlesiii50pencecrownobvandreversecrop.thumb.jpg.2f4855d96d1aa04326d5a9c296ff44c7.jpg

According to the Royal Mint:

"On 3 October 2022, we are honoured to be releasing a special collection of memorial coins to mark this poignant moment in British history. Featuring one of three reverse designs, each new coin in the collection features the official coinage portrait of King Charles III. The UK 50p coin will also enter general circulation." And elsewhere they have stated this be be before the end of the  year.

3) I expected @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer to receive at least 20,000 x 2022 silver bullion Britannias during September, as we have in recent months. Perhaps this was our fault for failing to tell them in time that we wanted 30,000 per month. We also expected to receive all our orders for 2022 gold bullion sovereigns, and gold bullion Britannias during September. Instead we only received about half what we wanted. I think I can claim that we were the victim of "force majeure".

4) I was wrong the we could rely on the absence of any Privy Council notices or proclamations in the London Gazette, to allow us to conclude that no new coin designs had been approved, and therefore were not imminent. Perhaps there were some proclamations, but they have not yeat been published, or perhaps the Royal Mint are expecting approval imminently. We may find out in due course.

5) I hastily stated that Bulgaria was not in the EU. I should have checked my facts first!

6) I was wrong not to have shorted the pound sterling shortly before the mini budget, but I am afraid I underestimated the stupidness, stubbornness, and intransigence of the new Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Exchequer. I was right when I read the budget summary that the pound would go down, but I also thought I was too late.

7) I was also wrong on at least one other view about 2022 / 2023 dates and Queen Elizabeth II / King Charles III on coins. However, the information I have is privileged, so I may not, and will not reveal it here.

Watch this space!

😎

Chards

Anything to do with any new Charles coins may surprise people. I think that Charles is not only going to modernise the royal family, but a lot of things such as coins etc. may be ‘modernised’. Some things may take time, but I see this as a way for Charles ensuring that the royal family is still relevant in today’s world and will therefore be able to keep going.

Mind you, if I thing I made a few mistakes, it sounds lik King Charles III has been relegated to the backside of Australian coins:

"From next year, King Charles III’s effigy will begin popping up on the back of newly minted coins."

Source: 

https://www.perthnow.com.au/business/future-of-aussie-money-revealed-after-queen-elizabeths-death-king-charles-coins-printed-from-2023-c-8218385

Another journalistic weirdness:

"Meanwhile, collectors are scrambling to get their hands on coins with Queen Elizabeth’s face, as prices skyrocket after her death."

I have noticed a few other media outlets talking about coins with the Queen's face or the King's "face", rather than "head" or "portrait".

😎

Chards

Thanks for the images @LawrenceChard Has anyone looked closely at the 50p? It looks odd in terms of the angled design it is not parallel to the coin (suppose it was never designed for a 50p)  Why did they just not use the design as it was intended a coronation crown?  Suppose it gives them another bite at the cherry come KCIII coronation next year.   

The 50p coin looks clumsy 

2 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Thanks for the images @LawrenceChard Has anyone looked closely at the 50p? It looks odd in terms of the angled design it is not parallel to the coin (suppose it was never designed for a 50p)  Why did they just not use the design as it was intended a coronation crown?  Suppose it gives them another bite at the cherry come KCIII coronation next year.   

The 50p coin looks clumsy 

I think it is just because it has not been photographed straight.

I think it looks good on the heptagonal fifty pence shape.

😎

Chards

5 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I think it is just because it has not been photographed straight.

I think it looks good on the heptagonal fifty pence shape.

😎

If you look closely the bottom two shields are not parallel to the coin, it’s  impossible to fit this  4 sided design into a 7 sided coin. Suppose they’re trying to make it work with the largest circulation coin

BTW have you seen the RM updated RRP prices on their website?  Holy cow £1,195 for a Gold 50p and £2,900 up from £2,685 the other day  for the £5 Bu sovereigns……Wowzers they know how to charge! 

4 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

If you look closely the bottom two shields are not parallel to the coin, it’s  impossible to fit this  4 sided design into a 7 sided coin. Suppose they’re trying to make it work with the largest circulation coin

BTW have you seen the RM updated RRP prices on their website?  Holy cow £1,195 for a Gold 50p and £2,900 up from £2,685 the other day  for the £5 Bu sovereigns……Wowzers they know how to charge! 

Of course, a straight sided square design cannot have sides parallel with an equilateral curve heptagon. They do look symmetrical to me though.

No, I had not seen those before you mentioned them. They do seem to adjust their prices very lumpily, although often very slowly.

I think they do many things which can only work successfully when you have a monopoly of some sort.

😎

Chards

15 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

And for a period I thought I had missed the point of your pointed comment! 😎

No malicious intentions, just pure play on the post title. Plus... you do seem to have all the 9 types of  sense of humour.

Whereas I lack wit-wordplay so I don't get your comment.🤔

10 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

I stopped buying from the mint when the BU sets exceeded the £25 mark.

I love how the 1970-1997 sets can still be bought for about £12-£15.

40 minutes ago, Groundup said:

No malicious intentions, just pure play on the post title. Plus... you do seem to have all the 9 types of  sense of humour.

Whereas I lack wit-wordplay so I don't get your comment.🤔

I had to Google "types of humour", and although 9 seems to be a common answer, there were also sites which stated there to be 4, 5. 6, 9, 11, 20, 25, and presumably many more.

Now I feel compelled to spend the next hour or so researching the topic.

I take your comment about me having all 9 types as a compliment, but now I am worried that I may be missing  quite a few other types.

My comments about your "point", were because your original post consisted solely of ".", otherwise known as a point, period, full stop, dot, etc.

While much of what I write or say is serious, I also love to have fun and enjoy humour, which I feel is better shared.

😎

Chards