• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Damaged 2022 1oz silver Royal Arms from Bullion By Post.

Earthmetal

I just wondered if anyone had experienced damage like this? Not sure if you can zoom in enough but there's really bad grazes on the bottom of Her Maj's neck.

I've only just opened the parcel, not contacted BBP yet.

DSCN0030.JPG

DSCN0031.JPG

DSCN0029.JPG

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

As RM goes it's not bad for a bullion coin. However I hate stuff like this.

If it were me I'd give them a ring/ drop 'em an email, tell them you've got a crappy Royal Mint coin and although you know it's not their fault would they exchange it for you? They can only say no.

If no take your future business elsewhere and dump the coin on ebay.

I've only ever had good experiences with their folk, but your mileage may vary.

I think it looks much worse to the naked eye than is apparent in the photo's it's a proper gouge, not a scuff. And to have two the same is a bit pants.
I realise it's technically bullion, but I think the 2022 Royal Arms coin has a potential collectors/Numismatic premium due to obvious reasons. So, I am disappointed. It is devalued, bullion or not. No-one wants to pay as much for milked/toned/scratched as they do for pristine.

I think it looks much worse to the naked eye than is apparent in the photo's it's a proper gouge, not a scuff. And to have two the same is a bit pants.
I realise it's technically bullion, but I think the 2022 Royal Arms coin has a potential collectors/Numismatic premium due to obvious reasons. So, I am disappointed. It is devalued, bullion or not. No-one wants to pay as much for milked/toned/scratched as they do for pristine.

DSCN9351.JPG

DSCN9352.JPG

Try the nice guy approach with them and take it from there is the best advice I can give.

I've literally just done this with a glazier of my acquaintance as a 1.5 cm long scratch in the glass in one of 50 odd new windows in a building I had refenestrated a few weeks ago has made itself known to me with the sun getting lower in the sky earlier. Result is a new DG being made up tomorrow. :)

5 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Can't really see the issue on the photos but maybe it's me. 🧐

Obviously wouldn't want damage on a proof coin at a proof price but for bullion odd scuffs and marks are typical. 

Really? Oh. I don't have a massive amount but I'm acquiring a decent quantity and none have physical damage, not even the 'bog standard' Britannias. I don't expect to see scuffs/gouges, that must have been caused at the mint by machinery. My rubbish old Nikon is not capturing the issue at all well (new coin-friendly camera required).

3 minutes ago, MonkeysUncle said:

Try the nice guy approach with them and take it from there is the best advice I can give.

I've literally just done this with a glazier of my acquaintance as a 1.5 cm long scratch in the glass in one of 50 odd new windows in a building I had refenestrated a few weeks ago has made itself known to me with the sun getting lower in the sky earlier. Result is a new DG being made up tomorrow. :)

I've just emailed them about it and asked if they could help in any way.

Presuming you haven't paid an arm and a leg premium for it,. It's a 1oz silver bullion coin. You paid for 1oz of silver and got that. Not to sound harsh. Bullion is bullion.if you were to sell it back to a dealer it would be treated as 1oz of silver marked or mint. It's a great reason to never pay over the odds for bullion. Just try and get 1oz coins at the lowest premium or better still just buy gold and percentage premium is so much lower it's not a big deal getting a marked coin 

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Presuming you haven't paid an arm and a leg premium for it,. It's a 1oz silver bullion coin. You paid for 1oz of silver and got that. Not to sound harsh. Bullion is bullion.if you were to sell it back to a dealer it would be treated as 1oz of silver marked or mint. It's a great reason to never pay over the odds for bullion. Just try and get 1oz coins at the lowest premium or better still just buy gold and percentage premium is so much lower it's not a big deal getting a marked coin 

£56.88 for two. So not a big deal, and I do get your point about bullion, but I still think some of these command a small collectors premium, otherwise why bother sending them carefully wrapped and in capsules? And why bother with differing designs and prices, they're all 1oz of silver!

I think you would be wasting your time contacting BullionbyPost.
A very high percentage of Royal Mint silver coins - since 2013 - are scuffed like this.
Sometimes you can be lucky and get blemish free but the RM's bullion is like this and BbP will likely say the same.
Lucky that your coin doesn't show milk spots which is also too common these days.

2 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

£56.88 for two. So not a big deal, and I do get your point about bullion, but I still think some of these command a small collectors premium, otherwise why bother sending them carefully wrapped and in capsules? And why bother with differing designs and prices, they're all 1oz of silver!

I learnt my stacking skills the hard way, you get good bad and ugly coins regardless what you buy, where, no one dealer is better than another for silver coins.

It's silver bullion it's as simple as that. Train your mind to that and you'll never seek to pay over the odds for anything silver. 

10+ years into stacking I just wished I'd stacked gold since day 1 now. 

If condition is your No1 concern stick to coins released at launch in plastic capsules namely Perth mint like lunars and koalas and China Pandas . They should be good enough.

Anything that comes in a tube or monster box this is just one of them things you have to deal with I'm afraid 

If that was how the coin was supplied by the RM then i can't see what the dealer can do. If, on the other hand, the damage was caused by the dealer due to careless handling then i would expect a fair resolution. (We've all seen videos of people chucking bullion coins out of their tubes and clinking them together - mostly in a bid to personally annoy me). Getting anyone to admit that is nigh on impossible...

Unfortunately, if the marks appear identical on several coins, then chances are that was how the RM supplied them. 

1 hour ago, Earthmetal said:

Rightly or wrongly they fall under the bullion parameters. Mass produced items and @Paul covers it well.

That's one of the many benefits of buying from the forum, most sellers will state condition of coins and you can judge for yourself with pictures on the sales posts. At least then you don't have to spend the next couple of days saying "hope it's a good one "hope it's a good one"🤣🤣

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

I do understand, thank you.
I guess the issue is that these are the first I've had with damage, so it wasn't expected. I foolishly thought the coin would look like the one in the photo!

2 hours ago, Earthmetal said:

Sounds like you got 1 good one!😎

Chards

3 hours ago, Earthmetal said:

I just wondered if anyone had experienced damage like this? Not sure if you can zoom in enough but there's really bad grazes on the bottom of Her Maj's neck.

I've only just opened the parcel, not contacted BBP yet.

DSCN0030.JPG

DSCN0031.JPG

DSCN0029.JPG

3 hours ago, Earthmetal said:

2 hours ago, modofantasma said:

Can't really see the issue on the photos but maybe it's me. 🧐

Obviously wouldn't want damage on a proof coin at a proof price but for bullion odd scuffs and marks are typical. 

2 hours ago, Earthmetal said:

Really? Oh. I don't have a massive amount but I'm acquiring a decent quantity and none have physical damage, not even the 'bog standard' Britannias. I don't expect to see scuffs/gouges, that must have been caused at the mint by machinery. My rubbish old Nikon is not capturing the issue at all well (new coin-friendly camera required).

If you sent the coin to @DrDave, he could take a great photo of it, but would proobably expect to keep the coin.

That's a bargain price for a professional level of photo.

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

If you sent the coin to @DrDave, he could take a great photo of it, but would proobably expect to keep the coin.

That's a bargain price for a professional level of photo.

😎

I can send a picture of mine for free if thats any help?! 😎

21 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Sounds like you got 1 good one!😎

Sadly not, they're both damaged in the same way.

34 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

At least you have a matching pair!

😎

Now that's a definite ebay selling point.

A rare matching pair of Scuff Privy Seal Chin Marks. They're not making anymore! Next batch she's copping for it on the kisser. Or the jammie doughnuts on her chops!

Got to be 50 quid an ounce all day long!

There's an article written by Martin at SilverTrader on the issue on RM quality control. He writes about his personal experience in dealing with RM.  It seems as though RM UK staff takes no pride in what they do.  Hence, the substandard in quality of their products. 

https://www.silvertrader.uk/royal-mint-quality-control-has-no-standards/

ROYAL MINT QUALITY CONTROL HAS NO STANDARDS

REGARDING ROYAL MINT QUALITY
In my 8 years of trading silver bullion coins and bars it has been my experience that the Royal Mint had the lowest standards or quality control of any of the numerous national or private mints that I’ve had to deal with, Obviously I know that bullion coins are not always perfect: they can and do suffer from dints, scratches, discolouration or milking but in general it tends to be a small percentage of coins that are affected. for example up until 12 months ago if I ordered 1000 coins from any other mint I might in the worst case scenario (if I was very unlucky) find maybe 50 with issues, and normally I would expect about 10 to 20 tops whereas from the royal mint if I only found 300 of the 1000 with issues I thought myself lucky, However in the last 12 months things have got much worse with the Royal Mint when it comes to the 1 oz Silver Bullion coins (2oz and 10oz coins, bars etc still seem to be ok).

It started with the Valiant & Britannia coins and went through the entire Robin hood series where the quality was so bad that I considered myself lucky if I got 200 coins that might be considered decent from a delivery of 1000, so 800 of them with issues, Which brings us to this latest delivery of 1000 Britannia’s where each and every one of the coins is scuffed on both sides: more visible on the Queen’s face but also across the Britannia icon (which is harder to photograph due to the amount of detail on the coin). Clearly this was a production issue as the marks were in the same places on all of the 1000 coins (please view attached photo’s).

What’s made this more concerning, or enlightening as to the root of the issues, is that after returning the coins to the Royal Mint they have returned the same coins back to me stating that these coins meet Royal Mint quality standards! I will summarise my thoughts on this at the end of this blog but first I thought it best to give you the timeline and course of events below to get you up to speed...................

21 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

There's an article written by Martin at SilverTrader on the issue on RM quality control. He writes about his personal experience in dealing with RM.  It seems as though RM UK staff takes no pride in what they do.  Hence, the substandard in quality of their products. 

https://www.silvertrader.uk/royal-mint-quality-control-has-no-standards/

Oh you do surprise me! Pay peanuts etc. Not only are we dumbed down, so is all of industry

1 hour ago, Earthmetal said:

Oh you do surprise me! Pay peanuts etc. Not only are we dumbed down, so is all of industry

Maybe wages has something to do it then maybe not !  I have to ask why would the Perth Mint and Chinese Mint produce far better consistent quality products. I highly doubt they are paid way above those employed at RM.