• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Resale of gold coins or bars

Mightymogs

Evening all,

Just wondering, in people's opinions which is a better purchase for future resale.. coins or bars? Bars clearly offer better value for money in terms of being closer to spot, but coins seem to sell well. I'm just wondering which would be better to stack for 15-20 years? I'm pretty sure this will be a chalk and cheese discussion, but you views are appreciated.

Take a look at the forum - discussed many times before.  Consider:

- Tax

- Liquidity

- Any numismatic value

@LawrenceChard Used to have a page titled something along the lines of “Why buy circular bars”.  Worth googling because if it exists still, it answers your question.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I reckon in 15 to 20 years gold in any format will be sought after and hard to get hold of in the physical format. 

coins have the added benefit of being cgt exempt (sovs and brits).

I say get what ever you like and feel comfortable buying, a mixture of both coins and bars can’t do any harm. 

What ever you decide to do I think it is very important you enjoy life/wealth or pass it on. I cry when I read stories on gold being found in the cupboard or behind a piano. 

16 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

I reckon in 15 to 20 years gold in any format will be sought after and hard to get hold of in the physical format. 

coins have the added benefit of being cgt exempt (sovs and brits).

I say get what ever you like and feel comfortable buying, a mixture of both coins and bars can’t do any harm. 

What ever you decide to do I think it is very important you enjoy life/wealth or pass it on. I cry when I read stories on gold being found in the cupboard or behind a piano. 

Wise words indeed 😁👍

17 minutes ago, dicker said:

- Tax

- Liquidity

- Any numismatic value

@LawrenceChard Used to have a page titled something along the lines of “Why buy circular bars”.  Worth googling because if it exists still, it answers your question.

Best

Dicker

Sorry for that Dicker, I did take a look, clearly not hard enough 😉 I'll try to find Mr Chards page 👍

5 minutes ago, Mightymogs said:

Sorry for that Dicker, I did take a look, clearly not hard enough 😉 I'll try to find Mr Chards page 👍

Don’t worry or apologise - I was a little short of time but wanted to help!

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

For me coins all the way when it comes to liquidity for re-selling, Sovereigns or Britannia's, they are just so well known in the UK.

Certain gold bars have a reputation for being faked, like the Lady Fortuna PAMP Suisse bars, ebay is probably flooded with them!

I guess ultimately as long as you have a little something tucked away no matter if its coins or bars you are on the right track 👍

41 minutes ago, GoldStatue said:

For me coins all the way when it comes to liquidity for re-selling, Sovereigns or Britannia's, they are just so well known in the UK.

Certain gold bars have a reputation for being faked, like the Lady Fortuna PAMP Suisse bars, ebay is probably flooded with them!

I guess ultimately as long as you have a little something tucked away no matter if its coins or bars you are on the right track 👍

Good stuff, the only thing I need to get my head around is that gold is so much smaller than silver 😜

2 hours ago, dicker said:

- Tax

- Liquidity

- Any numismatic value

Best

Dicker

It is probably this one:

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/coinsorbars.html

Written about 20 year ago, but still relevant.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, GoldStatue said:

Gold Britannias?

Never even existed until 1997!

Now, gold sovereigns, famous since 1489!

There are fake sovereigns of course, just like there are fakes of almost everything.

It's worth knowing who you are buying from.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

4 minutes ago, SidS said:

Always makes me wonder if someone ever wanted to buy a fake coin and got duped by a real one and thought... Aw shucks.

Actually yes,  it has probably happened. 

Contemporary counterfeit George III halfpennies, pre 1799, are quite collectable, and often sell for more than genuine ones!

😎

Chards

I would go with bars.If you are thinking long term investment coins can get damaged in many ways so can capsules.Some capsules are impossible to replace. Most buyers dislike toned silver coins(which could happen over the years) but collectors prefer toned and banged up bars:)

Most of us as newbies started off with collecting coins as they are nice and shiny but soon almost all moved to bars.

Good luck with your stacking:)

2 hours ago, dragafem said:

Most buyers dislike toned silver coins...

I love toned silver. I didn't used to.

A coin dealer said to me many years ago, "The appreciation of toned coins comes with time and experience" - I thought, "Nah! Never gonna happen."

Well I guess I was wrong. I've seen too many polished coins for my liking, utterly ruined. So coins with a bit of grime and dirt seem honest now.

5 hours ago, dragafem said:

I would go with bars.If you are thinking long term investment coins can get damaged in many ways so can capsules.Some capsules are impossible to replace. Most buyers dislike toned silver coins(which could happen over the years) but collectors prefer toned and banged up bars:)

Most of us as newbies started off with collecting coins as they are nice and shiny but soon almost all moved to bars.

Good luck with your stacking:)

Bars have no advantage over coins, except they can be cheaper to buy.

Most people including dealers are less enthusiastic about buying bars than coins, so you may get lower prices when selling.

Most British coins are exempt from CGT when selling, so even if this does not directly affect you, other people may be keener to buy them than bars or foreign coins.

😎

Chards

EDIT: sorry thought we were talking about silver 🤐

Edited by ArgentSmith

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024