• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Books (those things with print in?) what do you recommend?

Good morning all.

have stacked silver in a small way since 2015 as a means of hopefully saving my money, this year I have moved into gold following the more traditional routes of sovereigns and britannias which I have found increasingly interesting ! the internet is a great place for info. but I do like books, there are many dealing with sovereigns and brittanias some of which are sold by dealers on here (the books that is), what would you good people recommend? I am looking for information, historical, mintages, collectability etc.

Thanks.

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!

I agree with the advice already given.

I think you can buy Spink's decimal coins book separately if you aren't interested in the older UK coinage (most of the main Spink book is about UK predecimal coinage going way, way back in time).  I think the decimal coinage book includes all the gold (and other precious metal) coins issued too, so will cover the Britannias and much more.

In fact, here you go:

https://spinkbooks.com/products/coins-of-england-and-the-united-kingdom-2022-decimal-issues-8th-edition

11 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

Have to start with the obvious for Sovereigns... The Gold Sovereign Series - Michael A Marsh

image.png.3c9860feb4f80c0c21a679528b2b9a06.png

Bit of a 'Bible' where the lovely round circles of Golden Joy are concerned 😁

Look out for a special offer on these from a well known Blackpool dealer.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

I agree with the advice already given.

I think you can buy Spink's decimal coins book separately if you aren't interested in the older UK coinage (most of the main Spink book is about UK predecimal coinage going way, way back in time).  I think the decimal coinage book includes all the gold (and other precious metal) coins issued too, so will cover the Britannias and much more.

In fact, here you go:

https://spinkbooks.com/products/coins-of-england-and-the-united-kingdom-2022-decimal-issues-8th-edition

Spinks Decimal does have the later sovereigns in, and my favourite current coin, the humble 50p 🙂

But if you want to stack / collect anything earlier than Gillicks, then Marsh is a great investment IMHO.

Has info on later ones in too, but so much information on the earlier coins - fascinating reading, if a little heavy going at times 😏

More of a reference work though to be fair, rather than a cover-to-cover book…

Books (as recommended) arrived today, what a wealth of information!  thank you Chards, next problem needing advice is how do I convince my wife that the cash in the bank is better invested in gold? must be an age old problem?

cheers.

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!

A quick squizz at the gold price charts for the last few decades should do the trick…

Plus I’m led to understand that the Ladies are rather partial to the shiny yellow stuff if disguised as Jewellery dontcha know - a promise to buy her something stylish in 22 carat Au should seal the deal I’d say, old chap 🧐

4 hours ago, danieldorkins said:

Books (as recommended) arrived today, what a wealth of information!  thank you Chards, next problem needing advice is how do I convince my wife that the cash in the bank is better invested in gold? must be an age old problem?

cheers.

Actually the more you try to convince the more you will come across as a used car salesman lol. Imagine her telling you about this great opportunity you know nothing about or understand? Would you listen?

Simply leave her with a few thoughts. 

Gold has done really well over the last x amount of years. 

What other commodity can you buy ,but are technically just getting the retail experience for free (spot price depending of course)

We are not spending anything but simply taking digits on a screen and replacing it with something physical of value. Moving money from A to B

Yes gold can drop any minute of most days but long-term it should climb... your digits on a screen may always stay the same.. but they are loosing purchasing power every minute of everyday.

Failing all of the above..promise a handbag for every 1oz purchased 😅😅

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

11 hours ago, danieldorkins said:

cheers.

So far I have failed, my latest attempt is I've got her a sovereign from year of birth that I'm giving her at Christmas with a purchase price paid £335 and what she could get for it at Christmas just praying there's a mark up. 

On 13/08/2022 at 00:23, James32 said:

Actually the more you try to convince the more you will come across as a used car salesman lol. Imagine her telling you about this great opportunity you know nothing about or understand? Would you listen?

Simply leave her with a few thoughts. 

Gold has done really well over the last x amount of years. 

What other commodity can you buy ,but are technically just getting the retail experience for free (spot price depending of course)

We are not spending anything but simply taking digits on a screen and replacing it with something physical of value. Moving money from A to B

Yes gold can drop any minute of most days but long-term it should climb... your digits on a screen may always stay the same.. but they are loosing purchasing power every minute of everyday.

Failing all of the above..promise a handbag for every 1oz purchased 😅😅

I always see silver buying as converting one currency to another.

My savings are in: Pounds, shillings and pence, pre-64 US, pre-68 Swiss Francs, Latin Monetary Union Francs, Third Reich Reichsmarks and Russian Empire Roubles - and what do they all have in common?

They all just happen to be silver.