• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold nuggets?

Oliman

No idea, my friends nan gave them to them as a present. 

They feel wrong and not weighty enough given their size to me. Also i thought the colour looked weird. 

@arphetheanthanks for the advice. They are thinking of taking them to a gold shop to be tested. 

1 hour ago, Oliman said:

Hi guys,

My friend has these nuggets, weight approx 7-8 grams. Need help identyfying do they look right. 

Any help much appreciated. 

I don't know anything about yours, but these are some I saw a few months ago:

4gramsofgoldnuggetscrop.thumb.jpg.70039de0a2d986427dc6cbceff620c86.jpg

I think these are probably natural, but have not seen enough "natural" gold flakes or nuggets to be certain.

The total weight is approximately 4 grams.

I did a Niton XRF test on one of them, but can't find the file at the moment.

😎

Chards

3 minutes ago, Oliman said:

Thank you @LawrenceChard.

i dont think his are legit as they just dont look right. Yours looks more substansial for 4 grams in weight also. 

There is alot of whatever his is to make up 7-8 grams

They look rather rounded, possibly water worn, but could be molten gold dropped into liquid.

😎

Chards

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224963015818?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=-YvSLQCxQGW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=lXfA0l4pRCW&var=523838096447&widget_ver=artemis&media=MORE

Found this one on ebay. Be worth checking the kit works on verified gold first if you have any scrap available. 

Edited by Mtaybar

Hi

I have seen a fair few nuggets particularly in Australia. Yours don’t look like any I have seen or own.

But that doesn’t mean much. Could be gold in them but I suspect they will have a fairly high copper content.  It does a colour similarity to fools gold - see the pic attached.  I haven’t seen fools gold in this form though.

May be worth cutting one open to see what is inside.  I doubt there is much value in them being intact nuggets vs crushed and melted.

Worth getting tested!

Just for interest - see the pic attached.

(1) Is a Manganese nodule that I found while diving in the South Pacific.  Had it tested by a friend who is a materials science person.  Quite rare (in base metal terms)

(2) Decent sized sample of Iron Pyrite (Fools gold)

The pen is for scale.

Best

Dicker

38B8D03E-B8DE-4E3B-B987-DBFE31142CCD.jpeg

Edited by dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, James32 said:

Look like copper of some description ,and too many for such low weight.

Check @stackerp5 recent post to get an idea how they should look. 

Hi James thanks for the tag!

@Oliman please go on my profile and check my recent listings for gold nuggets.

I'm no expert but those could be copper nuggets judging by the colour. I could be wrong, and I say this because the nuggets I have for reference are minimum 21.5K and they are clearly bright yellow in colour.

I have a gold scratch/testing kit I got for cheap off either ebay or amazon. I would offer to test but if it's copper I dont think the postage would be worth it? EDIT: the cheapest postage is, I think 96p for 2nd class large.

I agree with @dicker's comment but I've also got a couple examples of fool's gold with varying colours and it doesn't seem to be that close. Even the "golden" fool's gold has a dull yellowish tinge/colour to them.

I suspect it could be copper. It may be very low purity gold or have some gold content within (what looks to be) copper but again, I'm not sure.

I hope this comment is of any help 🙏😊

Edited by stackerp5

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

I was thinking something like electrum where there's various silver and gold mixes and depending upon the content of each metal depends upon the colour.

I think copper is highly likely, gold could be present in low quantities, afterall 9ct gold always looks a little coppery to me, but then again so do certain 22ct gold coins which has been a bug bear of our own @LawrenceChard for example. 😁