• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

PVC Coin Wallets

Kate1918

Hi everyone, 

Just wondered if anyone could advice me on the best place to get some coin wallets in bulk and get a logo either printed or melted into it (dont know what its called)?

Thanks in advance 

35 minutes ago, Kate1918 said:

Hi everyone, 

Just wondered if anyone could advice me on the best place to get some coin wallets in bulk and get a logo either printed or melted into it (dont know what its called)?

Thanks in advance 

14 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

@LawrenceChard the oracle would probably know!

I might have known about 40 years ago.

PVC is or can be unstable, and can cause corrosion, discolouration, and permanent damage to coins.

Chards

14 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I might have known about 40 years ago.

PVC is or can be unstable, and can cause corrosion, discolouration, and permanent damage to coins.

Ahh interesting. Is this why you use bags? Where do you get yours? 

I was going to say something similar. You best find another material other than pvc. I have a laser engraver and cutting or engraving pvc is a no no, due to the harmful gases and corrosion to the machine. Printing is difficult as pvc sheets are often used to transfer a image onto another material because nothing sticks to it. Having said all of that, it can be done with a bit of trial and error. 

If you can change the material from pvc to acrylic or rubber then it can be engraved.

1 minute ago, Bigmarc said:

I was going to say something similar. You best find another material other than pvc. I have a laser engraver and cutting or engraving pvc is a no no, due to the harmful gases and corrosion to the machine. Printing is difficult as pvc sheets are often used to transfer a image onto another material because nothing sticks to it. Having said all of that, it can be done with a bit of trial and error. 

If you can change the material from pvc to acrylic or rubber then it can be engraved.

Ahh thank you. Haven't purchased any yet so its good to know. May have to use the capsules and then a bag with the logo on. Don't think a logo on the capsule would look good.

15 minutes ago, Kate1918 said:

Ahh thank you. Haven't purchased any yet so its good to know. May have to use the capsules and then a bag with the logo on. Don't think a logo on the capsule would look good.

What about foil laminating and fold your own envelope. Really cheap to do all yo need is a laser printer and a laminator. If you don't want to do it yourself you could probably approach anyone on Etsy that makes cards and comission them to do it. 

25 minutes ago, Kate1918 said:

Ahh interesting. Is this why you use bags? Where do you get yours? 

I don't actually know.

We get some plain ones, with write-on panel, in a few different sizes, but we have to buy about 20,000 (maybe more) at a time to get good prices.

I think our branded ones come from China, and we still need to buy quite large quantities.

Chards

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I don't actually know.

We get some plain ones, with write-on panel, in a few different sizes, but we have to buy about 20,000 (maybe more) at a time to get good prices.

I think our branded ones come from China, and we still need to buy quite large quantities.

Perfect. Thank you 

11 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

What about foil laminating and fold your own envelope. Really cheap to do all yo need is a laser printer and a laminator. If you don't want to do it yourself you could probably approach anyone on Etsy that makes cards and comission them to do it. 

I shall take a look at this. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Kate1918 said:

@SVcollector had some with his logo on, unless my memory has completely gone to pot😁

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 29/04/2022 at 23:48, sovereignsteve said:

@SVcollector had some with his logo on, unless my memory has completely gone to pot😁

image.thumb.jpeg.1308bdca0f10d1bd600fc435d72c328a.jpeg

Here's one of SVCollector's flips. I can see there's another name on it, ABAFIL, possibly the manufacturer or supplier? 

I buy non pvc ones for submission and they work out 25p each.  I’d have to guess you would have to buy them in the 10,000 plus to get them made for you.  

Might work out to be an expensive endeavour, buy the clear non pvc ones and then get a clear sticker made up for the outside? 

I was at a barbecue last night supposed to be engaged in conversation when this thread popped into my head. I remembered with the aid of a beer that the process of printing onto pvc is called sublimation. It's used for ID cards, t shirts, mugs. I think you can get a cheap machine from cannon for about £1000 so there should be plenty of people doing it from their sheds if you want to commission someone to do it. 

I am confused and perhaps a bit worried by the information about the potential harmful effects of PVC (which I had vaguely wondered about even prior to reading this thread). I bought some standard flip over wallets to fit sovereigns from an ebay seller. Are these likely to be PVC ones? And the ones I have received from Chards and Atkinsons, are they also likely to be PVC? If not, where can I get more of that type? Finally, is there an easy way to tell PVC from non-PVC material? Grateful for your advice.

29 minutes ago, RDHC said:

I am confused and perhaps a bit worried by the information about the potential harmful effects of PVC (which I had vaguely wondered about even prior to reading this thread). I bought some standard flip over wallets to fit sovereigns from an ebay seller. Are these likely to be PVC ones? And the ones I have received from Chards and Atkinsons, are they also likely to be PVC? If not, where can I get more of that type? Finally, is there an easy way to tell PVC from non-PVC material? Grateful for your advice.

I'm not sure if there's a way to tell if a PVC flip is a none-PVC flip but to err on the side of caution, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, that's enough for me to look for a different option. 

Any coins I buy that come in PVC flips I swop into acrylic capsules. It's not worth the worry of wondering if your coins are one day going to turn green and mouldy thanks to encasing them in material better suited for drainpipes. 

1 hour ago, GoldDabbler said:

I'm not sure if there's a way to tell if a PVC flip is a none-PVC flip but to err on the side of caution, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, that's enough for me to look for a different option. 

Any coins I buy that come in PVC flips I swop into acrylic capsules. It's not worth the worry of wondering if your coins are one day going to turn green and mouldy thanks to encasing them in material better suited for drainpipes. 

Good point. Thank you.

Agreed, when I buy coins in a PVC looking flip I take them out and put them into SAFLIPs which contain no PVC or oil which can damage coins. SAFLIP is what PCGS recommends for sending coins in for grading.

Edited by stataman

22 minutes ago, stataman said:

Agreed, when I buy coins in a PVC looking flip I take them out and put them into SAFLIPs which contain no PVC or oil which can damage coins. SAFLIP is what PCGS recommends for sending coins in for grading.

Very useful information. Thank you.