• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A stacker's first purchase

Hello everyone

I'm new here on the forum and I thought this query would serve as my "introduction".

I live in Europe and for a long time I have been interested in prepping etc. One area where I haven't prepped is when it comes to money, because I'm not really money-oriented.

However, I'm not blind to inflation and since I've gotten a better personal economy with time, I've wanted to get into silver stacking. I like the idea of it because of the off-grid nature of it, both away from electronics and the banks in general.

Now, I've looked around for quite a bit, trying to garner general knowledge of the business so to speak and now I'm looking to make my first purchase. From what I've seen these two get mentioned quite often when it comes to good stores. From what I've seen, I haven't found any good lists of actual store/sites, hence me asking. If you have any other that are equal or better, I'd love to hear of them.

EuropaBullion

GoldSilver

Secondly, I will be doing this mainly as inflation protection, not to continually trade that specific coin from that year etc, not as a collector basically. At least not to start off.

So the second part is this: From what I've seen, Europa Bullion's "Goddess Europa" coin and "Bull/Bear" coin, along with the Philharmoniker coin, seems to be the cheapest 1oz units, considering both coins and rounds. Am I correct in this? (in general of course)

As a stacker, should I be going for these (or any that are the cheapest) as the most silver for my money, or is there a good reason to buy, for example silver maple or silver eagles instead?

Or some of several?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you may impart.

• Founder & Administrator

Moved to the welcome new members section. Welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Hi @SilverDwarf and welcome 

sounds like you have a very good plan to go out, goodluck with it all !

but all your questions r way to intelligent for the mob found on here ! 😅

only joking !

Your at the best place, I would definitely be trying to pick your silver up like you mention on the sale thread.

it would be cheaper then elsewhere and from a trusted source 

all your other queries you will definitely find the answers for in the search bar

or you may be in luck someone will kindly try and answer them for you 

all the best 

magpie79 

15 minutes ago, SilverDwarf said:

Thank you.

I tried searching for it but the only things I found was quite a few years old and didn't cover the new coins for example.

Again, thanks

immersive yourself in as many threads as possible and your find everything you need in time 

best of luck 

Welcome!

So one of the things to definitely consider is also the liquidity of your purchases, considering that your current stacking strategy of getting the cheapest ones (this may change over time, neither is right or wrong imo). What is important either way is the liquidity of your stack.

Say you have some bills to pay and you need to sell of some of your holdings, can you do this without issues? Certain coins are recognized around the world and will give you no trouble when it comes to sell, thinking of Britannia's, Philharmonikers, Kurgerrands, and to an extent i think the Goddess Europa and Bull&bear coin will be fine as well

Keeping in mind that you may have to sell when you don't want to, make sure you actually can sell part of your holdings. If you were to get certain silver pieces that are hard to shift, you may run into some issues. It's for this reason that I would stay away from bigger sizes initially. 1oz, 50g's or 100gs will be fine, but maybe shy away from the 10oz + sizes for the time being.

On a side note, I'll say that Europabullion and the Europeanmint are good for silver purchases. Europabullion is quicker in terms of delivery, but both have a good stock of items and are trust worthy. I have not purchased any items from Goldsilver.be, so I can't comment on that.

All the best,

Alex

G'Day and welcome.

@Alex944 makes a good point about convertibility of stack into Fiat. Develop a balanced stack of coins and bars, silver and gold and sizes. If you plan to apportion part of your stack for long term wealth preservation, then lower premium larger bars may suit, but always keep some part of the stack in smaller sizes for easier / faster conversion to cash if needed. 

The other rule of stacking...don't tell anyone you are stacking. It's your own State Secret.

To add to the good advice a little, they are rare but there are sometimes opportunities to add extra value to your stack by spotting good coins that aren't very much higher in price than the cheapest bullion. A couple of examples would be the Oriental Britannias and the early Marvel coins. Good wishes!

On 24/12/2021 at 14:21, Centauri167 said:

Welcome on this great forum, it will be a place were you will learn a lot more about collecting and stacking !

For me, Goldsilver.be is the place to be, lowest prices in Europe and a great service.

I'll check it out as well.

On 19/12/2021 at 17:37, SilverDwarf said:

Hello everyone

I'm new here on the forum and I thought this query would serve as my "introduction".

I live in Europe and for a long time I have been interested in prepping etc. One area where I haven't prepped is when it comes to money, because I'm not really money-oriented.

However, I'm not blind to inflation and since I've gotten a better personal economy with time, I've wanted to get into silver stacking. I like the idea of it because of the off-grid nature of it, both away from electronics and the banks in general.

Now, I've looked around for quite a bit, trying to garner general knowledge of the business so to speak and now I'm looking to make my first purchase. From what I've seen these two get mentioned quite often when it comes to good stores. From what I've seen, I haven't found any good lists of actual store/sites, hence me asking. If you have any other that are equal or better, I'd love to hear of them.

EuropaBullion

GoldSilver

Secondly, I will be doing this mainly as inflation protection, not to continually trade that specific coin from that year etc, not as a collector basically. At least not to start off.

So the second part is this: From what I've seen, Europa Bullion's "Goddess Europa" coin and "Bull/Bear" coin, along with the Philharmoniker coin, seems to be the cheapest 1oz units, considering both coins and rounds. Am I correct in this? (in general of course)

As a stacker, should I be going for these (or any that are the cheapest) as the most silver for my money, or is there a good reason to buy, for example silver maple or silver eagles instead?

Or some of several?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you may impart.

Welcome to the forum, and I have started as a stacker also. That quickly went out the door when I started collecting consecutive dates, then also different coins, and before you know it you are paying crazy premiums for that specific coin ;).

I like Goldsilver as a European dealer. Many on this forum can tell you otherwise because some had bad experiences, but my business with them has always been good. 

I also stack Philharmoniker coins, they come out cheapest and are also beautiful coins. There are 20 in a tube so a little less coins per tube than other mints use. But that means you don't have to spend much to have 20 coins protected in a plastic tube at once ;) 

5 hours ago, Jvw said:

Welcome to the forum, and I have started as a stacker also. That quickly went out the door when I started collecting consecutive dates, then also different coins, and before you know it you are paying crazy premiums for that specific coin ;).

I like Goldsilver as a European dealer. Many on this forum can tell you otherwise because some had bad experiences, but my business with them has always been good. 

I also stack Philharmoniker coins, they come out cheapest and are also beautiful coins. There are 20 in a tube so a little less coins per tube than other mints use. But that means you don't have to spend much to have 20 coins protected in a plastic tube at once ;) 

Can you tell me more about this bad experiences ? I am buying at Goldsilver from 2013 and never had a problem so I am interested.

1 minute ago, Centauri167 said:

Can you tell me more about this bad experiences ? I am buying at Goldsilver from 2013 and never had a problem so I am interested.

No I can not (see my next sentence)

5 hours ago, Jvw said:

All my experiences were good with them. But I seen some bad reviews on this forum from other members.

10 minutes ago, Jvw said:

No I can not (see my next sentence)

All my experiences were good with them. But I seen some bad reviews on this forum from other members.

I read that you, just like me, had no bad experience but I thought you maybe knew some of the issues the members who complained had because you mentioned them ?

1 minute ago, Centauri167 said:

I read that you, just like me, had no bad experience but I thought you maybe knew some of the issues the members who complained had because you mentioned them ?

Use the search function mate. When I first came to this forum I've read some of them. But I use them all the time and I had nothing but great experiences. They have good prices and do a good job (so far). Only thing is shipping is costly. 

On 02/01/2022 at 09:12, Jvw said:

Yeah the Philharmoniker seem to be one of the cheapest available in Europe