• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are the Latin union golden coins still a good buy ?

Centauri167

I read on the website of a bullion dealer that the old Latin Union coins are bad investments. I like them, a nice format, low premiums and the French Coq has a very nice  design. So what do you guys think ? Still a good buy or better to leave them and buy more modern coins like Krugerands ?

Gold LMU coins are not a bad investment, especially when you are buying them at low premium.

Are easy to buy and sell, are well recognised everywhere, there are plenty of stackers/collectors with main collection of LMU gold.

For you, in Belgium is a very good option to find them cheap.

13 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

I read on the website of a bullion dealer that the old Latin Union coins are bad investments. I like them, a nice format, low premiums and the French Coq has a very nice  design. So what do you guys think ? Still a good buy or better to leave them and buy more modern coins like Krugerands ?

Would you mind sharing with us which website it was?

Especially a Belgian dealer makes no sense. LMU coins, at least the 20 Francs, are very liquid at bullion prices. Vreneli (LMUish) sell better than 20 Mark Kaiserreich here in Germany. I would expect any LMU coin to have a huge recognition in their respective countries, like Sovereigns in the UK. In my opinion you can't go wrong with the French and the Swiss.

I would try to get a feel for what local dealers and pawn shops are carrying. Especially pawn shops.

31 minutes ago, KevinFlynn said:

... Vreneli (LMUish) sell better than 20 Mark Kaiserreich here in Germany. ...

If only any of the German emperors looked at least half as good as our lovable little Vreneli... 😉

Although, Ludwig II of Bavaria was apparently also quite attractively looking young man! 

On 31/10/2021 at 17:20, KevinFlynn said:

Especially a Belgian dealer makes no sense. LMU coins, at least the 20 Francs, are very liquid at bullion prices. Vreneli (LMUish) sell better than 20 Mark Kaiserreich here in Germany. I would expect any LMU coin to have a huge recognition in their respective countries, like Sovereigns in the UK. In my opinion you can't go wrong with the French and the Swiss.

I would try to get a feel for what local dealers and pawn shops are carrying. Especially pawn shops.

In my eyes this dealer is a scumbag but he is one of the biggest in Belgium, therefore I wanted to  ask it here to be certain. Pawnshops we do not really have but LMU coins are bought by the dealers that I know around  -1%Spott price. I like the French Coq LMU coins, it are the only ones I have.

31 minutes ago, Centauri167 said:

In my eyes this dealer is a scumbag but he is one of the biggest in Belgium, therefore I wanted to  ask it here to be certain. Pawnshops we do not really have but LMU coins are bought by the dealers that I know around  -1%Spott price. I like the French Coq LMU coins, it are the only ones I have.

So, you can continue buying with confidence any type and size LMU.

About selling them when the time will come, I am very sure you can have on private market (TSF) a minimum of 5% over spot.

Happy stacking, dear @Centauri167!

Stefan.

Edited by stefffana

On 30/10/2021 at 07:31, Centauri167 said:

"I read on the website of a bullion dealer that the old Latin Union coins are bad investments."

Who said that?

Chards

On 31/10/2021 at 17:02, CollectForFun said:

If only any of the German emperors looked at least half as good as our lovable little Vreneli... 😉

Although, Ludwig II of Bavaria was apparently also quite attractively looking young man! 

I never fancied him! 😎

Chards

On 30/10/2021 at 12:50, daca said:

US bullion dealer ?

On 30/10/2021 at 20:42, CollectForFun said:

Would you mind sharing with us which website it was?

On 31/10/2021 at 14:21, Centauri167 said:

No, one in Belgium. A big one, but one I don't trust at all and were I will never buy anything.

11 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

9 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

"I read on the website of a bullion dealer that the old Latin Union coins are bad investments."

Who said that?

So, go on, and give us a name, if only to save us time and energy searching and guessing. 🙂

Chards

On 30/10/2021 at 12:19, stefffana said:

Gold LMU coins are not a bad investment, especially when you are buying them at low premium.

Are easy to buy and sell, are well recognised everywhere, there are plenty of stackers/collectors with main collection of LMU gold.

For you, in Belgium is a very good option to find them cheap.

On 30/10/2021 at 13:31, KevinFlynn said:

They are not, especially in Europe. They're a good method to get fractional gold at a competitive price.

On 30/10/2021 at 14:33, modofantasma said:

It depends. If you can buy them at low premium and sell them easily enough when the time comes then I wouldn't call them bad. Personally I prefer the modern bullion, krugs, brits etc but I've had a few lmu coins and they are nice 

On 04/11/2021 at 11:15, stefffana said:

So, you can continue buying with confidence any type and size LMU.

About selling them when the time will come, I am very sure you can have on private market (TSF) a minimum of 5% over spot.

Happy stacking, dear @Centauri167!

Stefan.

Some dealers, and private individuals use hype, lies, propaganda, and partial truth to sell you what they want to sell you, and some also try to poison the minds of potential customers away from buying other coins, possibly because they don't make as much profit on them. It is not just coin and bullion dealers who do this, many other businesses use deceptive practices.

If you like Latin Monetary Union, and other "traditional" circulation or bullion coins, certainly buy, collect, and invest in them.

My age-old advice for precious metal investment is to buy gold if in the UK or EU, because it is VAT exempt, and also to buy at the lowest premium within reason.

LMU gold coins are often equivalent in their own countries to British gold sovereigns, often with similar premiums. While gold sovereigns are among the most popular gold coins in the UK, French 20 Francs are understandably popular in France, but also in neighbouring countries.

When it comes to selling, you may find it slightly harder to get good prices for non-British coins in the UK, but you might find the same thing in reverse in France, and other EU countries, to some extent.

It is good that you have discovered that some dealers are bullshit dealers rather than true bullion dealers. 😎

Chards

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/13090-20-franc-coins-of-the-lmu/

The above is (hopefully), a link to one of the most interesting threads on this forum, everything you would want to know about LMU coins …well worth a read. @Centauri167

Having just looked on the Chards website (where I bought lots of my LMU coins from), they are sold out of 20Fr roosters, and angels (as always!), so demand for them must be strong.

I am sure if I ever decided to part with my modest collection,   @LawrenceChard would be interested in making me a generous offer 😉. Although maybe not for the rarities…1888,1896 torches’ , which carry a significant numismatic premium.

How can you not want to collect LMU coins:-

Roosters

B6A1B802-C901-4038-81C4-5BE813A66411.thumb.jpeg.cfabe1d6f8e51387f4d9c36de589ff40.jpeg

Angels (less the two rarities)

99DA190E-A469-4511-B747-A3C97BDABF76.thumb.jpeg.d773eceb229f9cd55d84b5d5d5066169.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/13090-20-franc-coins-of-the-lmu/

The above is (hopefully), a link to one of the most interesting threads on this forum, everything you would want to know about LMU coins …well worth a read. @Centauri167

Having just looked on the Chards website (where I bought lots of my LMU coins from), they are sold out of 20Fr roosters, and angels (as always!), so demand for them must be strong.

I am sure if I ever decided to part with my modest collection,   @LawrenceChard would be interested in making me a generous offer 😉. Although maybe not for the rarities…1888,1896 torches’ , which carry a significant numismatic premium.

How can you not want to collect LMU coins:-

Roosters

B6A1B802-C901-4038-81C4-5BE813A66411.thumb.jpeg.cfabe1d6f8e51387f4d9c36de589ff40.jpeg

Angels (less the two rarities)

99DA190E-A469-4511-B747-A3C97BDABF76.thumb.jpeg.d773eceb229f9cd55d84b5d5d5066169.jpeg

I'm certainly going to read the info what is in the link, thx for it !

And loving your Coq/ Roosters coins, I see you have a lot of different years. I have more Roosters but less years ...