• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1869 Sovereigns

ChrisUKproofs

Hope everone's keeping well. Only my second post and probably not very interesting, but here goes.

I bought a couple of 1869 full sovereigns years ago. I recall paying rather a lot for one. One is clearly a Die 15 coin. The other is either a very slim 7 or a 1.

To my untrained eye, both look to be in similar condition. I've picked the Die 15 example to photograph. I've been quite cruel with the lighting in a bid to show any imperfections. Looking at it through a loop, it actually looks much better.

Covid/Lockdown hit me hard as regards work, and I'll reluctantly be looking to move a few old, bullion and proof gold coins on over the winter, to help pay the bills.

Is it OK to ask, on here, what kind of quality this coin is and what it might be worth? Apologies if this isn't the place.

Thankyou to whoever replies in advance. All good wishes. Chris

1862_Sov_Die15_1small.jpg

1862_Sov_Die15_small.jpg

Edited by ChrisUKproofs
grammar

I'd grade that at gVF - aEF (approx AU53)

1869 is a common, unremarkable year. As to value, have a look around at sale prices for similar but I would say about £380, but I a notoriously bad at valuing sovereings😁

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

51 minutes ago, RDHC said:

Isn't there a very rare die number - 36 - for this year? Or am I muddling things up? I don't go in for sovereign rarities so I'm probably wrong.

@RHDC I had not heard of that bout would be interested to know it that’s the case!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

51 minutes ago, RDHC said:

Isn't there a very rare die number - 36 - for this year? Or am I muddling things up? I don't go in for sovereign rarities so I'm probably wrong.

On 28/02/2019 at 12:31, Zhorro said:

I have been on the lookout for an 1869 Die No.34 for a while because of its "yellow gold" designation.  I now think I have found one.  The pictures here show this 1869 sovereign compared to an 1871 one (the nearest I had in date) and the 1869 one does look to be a different colour to the 1871 one (the 1869 sovereign does look to be yellow).  I have then shown the reverse of the 1869 sovereign, but the Die number is not easy to see.  So, I then used a magnifying glass and I am 99% convinced it is "34" as opposed to "54".

1869compf.png

1869compb.png

1869compone.png

1869comp34.png

Do you mean the Die 34 yellow gold variety?  There is a separate thread about this.

Lucky Zhorro!  Yes, I remember the thread started by 'TheGoldSovereign'  in Feb 2019. re the 1869 die 34 -  quite a debate if I recall. Marsh 53A has it struck from "Yellow Gold" according to Steve Hill. This must have been experimental because at the same time Marsh 373 -1868 'Australia'  is also shown as yellow gold alloyed with 8.33% silver, and Marsh 374 - 1869 'Australia' (dated 1868) shown as "red" gold alloyed with 8.33% copper! Anyway Die34 is rated R3. Otherwise as Sovereignsteve  said, the 1869 is fairly common, but very desirable in good condition. By coincidence I also have a die 15 1869 Sov.  Perhaps I'm common as well! 😊  

For quick reference https://auctions.thecoincabinet.com/lots?search=1869+sovereign

Compare the coin you have in hand to the images - and also remember fluctuations in gold spot may have affected the sale price.

(If you'd sell in these auctions, you'd have to pay 10% vendor commission - so subtract that from the hammer price.... then consider your options. This Forum is a great place to sell.).

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

51 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Well I can't shift my 1866 for 360 so less than than that mate 

Based on the photos I'd say this coin is in a finer grade than the 1866 you are selling. My valuation of this 1869 is £360 - £380

4 hours ago, Leonmarsh said:

Well I can't shift my 1866 for 360 so less than than that mate 

The tides of gold trading on the forum appear quite unpredictable...I don't think it's that your coin isn't worth what you're asking, it's just getting the right eyes on it at the right time. Judging by what a lot of dealers are asking for specific date sovereigns I would wager yours is extremely well priced.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, ChrisUKproofs said:

Popped this one on Ebay, as I had a special reduced seller-fee offer, and it just sold for £405.50 (10 day auction).

about as expected then, considering the increase in gold spot recently.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon