• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Devon & Cornwall Police Forced To Pay The Price For Coin Fiasco

On 18/10/2021 at 13:56, ChardsCoinandBullionDealer said:

It would have been better to have included a brief introduction or résumé before the bare link. @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer.

I wonder if Devon and Cornwall Police will have the initiative or imagination to pay Brett in Royal Mint non-circulating legal tender commemorative coins?

If so, they should try and capture the occasion on video.

I also wonder whether Brett would resist accepting them.

The RM could probably manufacture s special batch of base metal coins for the occasion, probably for a minimal cost.

One other aspect of the Brett Richardson case is to consider the VAT implication for the Royal Mint, but that is probably a better subect for discussion under its own Topic.

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

I wonder if Devon and Cornwall Police will have the initiative or imagination to pay Brett in Royal Mint non-circulating legal tender commemorative coins?

As if Brett wouldn't use them at Tesco 🤪

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

7 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

If so, they should try and capture the occasion on video.

I also wonder whether Brett would resist accepting them.

I think he'd welcome it, as it would save him some time!

From https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16521776/coin-collector-tesco-fuel-compensation-police/:

"Dad-of-four Brett plans to spend the compo on more coins."

So the use of commemorative royal mint coins can't be used to pay for fuel or goods! 

Then what about the £2 commemorative coins shakespear or DNA double helix or even the 50p Paddington bear?

Headline ' Post office refuse £2 coins as customer wants to buy stamps to return damaged royal mint proof coin'

To be fair, his point is well made, has hit the media and demonstrates a number of points.  

I suspect even the boys in blue would be savvy enough to realise that paying him in the same sort of coins would lead to more fuel station shenanigans:-)

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Well it's obvious that he's going to continue to do it.

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 minute ago, paulmerton said:

Looks like Jeremy Vine will be covering this on his Radio 2 show today.

God I cannot stand that monotoned monoeye-browed turd!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 minute ago, paulmerton said:

You don't like the chap, then? :D 

A James blunt of the highest order!

On 19/10/2021 at 12:15, 4Nines7Hills said:

The police were right the guy was wrong no one here ( apart from one guy in the chain ) understands what legal tender is , and a shop can accept or reject any form of payment they wish .

The way I understand it, the guy was right:

He took petrol from the tank into his car.

The petrol now becomes his property, and he owes the station a debt.

He offered to pay his debt in legal tender.

The station refused this payment.

So far everything above is fine and legal.

The station then required him to sign a "No means to pay" form.

But, he did have means to pay, it was legal tender.

The police charged him for making off without payment, but he tried to pay in legal tender.

The only two options that the petrol station had were to:

A) Accept the coins, whether other individuals, banks and businesses accept them or not

B ) Refuse the coins, but simultaneously void the debt, as the debtor has offered to pay in legal tender

They can't refuse the legal tender and then sue for non payment or making off without paying

The real crux of this issue is that the coins in question are legal tender and the "villain of the peace" in this saga had a letter from tesco confirming they were happy to accept these coins.

Assuming that part is true, he had every right to proceed as he did and fill up his car, with the intention of using the coin to pay.

Anything else is irrelevant.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon