• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gothic Crown 2021 (Alderney's version)

The Alderney version of the 2021 Gothic Crown has appeared on the Web and there are 2 coins...

What are your thoughts on Alderney's verson of this?

What's your opinion as a collector, investor or flipper?

Would you buy both designs or just one and if only one, which one?

Do you think there's enough relief (depth) with the strike?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Screenshot_20210625-202436_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by GoldenGriffin

Thank you for posting this. Interesting, I wonder if it is an indication as to what the RM will issue, like the three graces was.

Personally I won’t buy Alderney coins, to me their value is mainly in their metal content and I have very little interest in collecting them, other than maybe as a filler in a set or run. But, they seem to have a following and do carry a serious premium so maybe I have it wrong.

thanks again, the reverses on both coins look fantastic and I do hope it is what the RM are releasing

14 minutes ago, Chrisplym said:

Nice looking coins. I am not sure that I will be buying them, but I would be interested in seeing the prices and mintages for the range. Please can you let me know where I can find this information? Thanks.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I did a Google search and this link appeared.

https://ukgoldcoins.co.uk/product/new-gothic-crown-gold-proof/

Screenshot_20210626-073613_Samsung Internet.jpg

7 hours ago, SilverMike said:

Thank you for posting this. Interesting, I wonder if it is an indication as to what the RM will issue, like the three graces was.

Personally I won’t buy Alderney coins, to me their value is mainly in their metal content and I have very little interest in collecting them, other than maybe as a filler in a set or run. But, they seem to have a following and do carry a serious premium so maybe I have it wrong.

thanks again, the reverses on both coins look fantastic and I do hope it is what the RM are releasing

I think you're right, this could be a taste of things to come from the RM! 😊

2 hours ago, NewCoins said:

Any idea who else might be selling these when they are released ?

Unfortunately, I didn't see any other dealers in my search, but that's not to say that other dealers won't sell further down the line, so keep your eyes peeled 👀

Wondered how they would release this coin, a 2 coin set with the reverse and obverse on a separate coin.   Glue it together and make a Piedfort gold proof gothic crown! 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave
typo

32 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

Unfortunately, I didn't see any other dealers in my search, but that's not to say that other dealers won't sell further down the line, so keep your eyes peeled 👀

I have sent a few emails, will update if I get anything back.

I want this coin!! For the right price

1 hour ago, GoldenGriffin said:

I suppose RM could release their version in 2022 with a special portrait?

Interesting thought!

Yeah, I’m almost 100% sure the RM will do a special portrait for 2022.  They did it in 2016 for HM’s 90th on the Sovereign.  If they did something similar, the special portrait would go on the 2022 Sovereign, so what might the 2021 and 2022 Great Engravers be? 😊

Another thought… Alderney has used a younger portrait of HM.

The young Queen Victoria portrait was fine because she was young in the 1840s when the Gothic Crown was released.

I’d hope for the RM to use a portrait that more accurately reflects our current Queen at 95. 

Edited by westminstrel

Look forward to the Gothic Crown by RM later this year or 2022, as it is a lovely lovely coin...but need to fight hard again to secure 1 for collecting.

Come cross one dilemma to my mind, if an original VF Gothic Crown cost 3k, and the new one cost 2k...which 1 I shall choose...For me, I may choose the 1847 one.

35 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

A daft question. Based on uk gold coins..

Am I correct in saying you get TWO x 10oz proof coins for 1580?

That doesn't seem too bad a price on the face of it, considering they will be graded 70.

Any thoughts ?

Screenshot_20210627-075222_Google.jpg

I'd assume it would be, as they have 2 designs.

£79 per oz isn't bad at all! 😊

Just to say that Mark (who runs Ukgoldcoins) also has the silver proof and Matt proof collections. The commonwealth mint manage Alderney coins and only sell to trade, so you will only get from somewhere like Mark on the primary market. 

I just got the PF70 Silver Proof set for £460 (plus postage) which isn’t too bad. The process was easy and Mark’s communication was excellent.

Should be with me in a few weeks.

31 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Just to say that Mark (who runs Ukgoldcoins) also has the silver proof and Matt proof collections. The commonwealth mint manage Alderney coins and only sell to trade, so you will only get from somewhere like Mark on the primary market. 

I just got the PF70 Silver Proof set for £460 (plus postage) which isn’t too bad. The process was easy and Mark’s communication was excellent.

Thanks @AndrewSL76!

We'd be very grateful if you could share some pictures when you receive them! 😊

Lovely coins!

12 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Thanks Andrew. I was taking a closer look at these yesterday.

The one thing that's putting me off is the pictures on uk gold coins.

They are not clear enough to gain an appreciation of the detail and relief on the reverse.

Personally holding off until I can see better pictures

Edited by NewCoins

I think we are expecting the same from the Royal Mint in November, save for the reference to Alderney! Note the involvement of Jody Clark...the portrait is likely to be the same, or not? What do you guys think?

My view is that it is worth getting this one as it will be a nice set to have alongside the Royal Mint one. 

12 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I’ll post pics as soon as I can. I think the pics on the site are quite good.

The pictures of the silver do seem clearer that the gold!

756DCE3D-9D36-4490-99BE-66EC29C37535.jpeg

I was being a little OTT and trying to compare those images with a good image of an original gothic crown.

They just weren't a high enough resolution to be satisfied, at least for me. But as I said I was being over the top perhaps!

What is it with JC? He's head of design at the commonwealth mint and does he freelance for RM?

I am sure he's in the know with what's going on with RM so it would make sense that's what RM are going to do.

3 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

I was being a little OTT and trying to compare those images with a good image of an original gothic crown.

They just weren't a high enough resolution to be satisfied, at least for me. But as I said I was being over the top perhaps!

What is it with JC? He's head of design at the commonwealth mint and does he freelance for RM?

I am sure he's in the know with what's going on with RM so it would make sense that's what RM are going to do.

Jody Clark is an engraver at the Royal Mint.