• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

General newbie new member

Morning all!

Just saying 'hi'. I'm new to gold and silver, I guess driven to metal by high stock market prices and the spectre of inflation. So far I have a couple of gold sovereigns, 1/4 gold Britannia, gold 20 Francs, 5g bar and 4 silver Britannias. My plan is to keep things balanced; some money into my pension, my graphics card is ticking over when I'm not using it doing a little mining in case Bitcoin does go to the moon (I'm not looking to start a thread on this topic btw) and finally the equivalent of a gold sovereign each month...maybe push to a full Britannia in a dip and then have a couple of months off. 

What I didn't expect is the instant hobby side this...OMG how gorgeous are the coins?! I know I am preaching to the converted here, but they are lovely and the kids think they are great. The hobbyist in me likes the idea of going around the world in 1oz silver coins and having a little display folder with info on each one, I might look to swap the 5g gold bar for silver Britannias once I know what a fair swap would be. Later, I'd like to go around the world in 1oz gold coins...I know this isn't sensible investing but I can think of worse hobbies! Worst case I guess I'll pay a premium for the hobby side of it.

I found this forum because of the @BackyardBullion YouTube channel. As much as I enjoy the entertainment of "Holy smokes", "$3000 silver!", "It's going to the moon!", "BUY METAL NOW...but use my affiliate link" type headlines and videos, I also want to be educated in a nice calm way. He/the channel is also one of the reasons I joined as a paid member straight away, I know how much effort a YouTube channel takes. Not sure what BYB's relationship is to the forum but I hope this helps his cause.

Anyway, I'm glad I found the forum. Looking forward to chatting, learning a bit and gently dipping my toe into private buying coin by coin with my 'around the world in silver coins' collection 🙂 

Edited by MarkInSol

Hello and Welcome, i too enjoy the hobby side of it and collect any silver set that takes my fancy... yeah you may end up paying a bit over the top but hopefully as its a long term collection you will reap the benefits, other side of it is that i also stack brits, maples etc and flip when i can which of course pays for more of the shiny stuff...... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Welcome to the forum and to your stacking journey!

There's a wealth of information on here so you should be able to find answers to most of your metal related questions. 

Though purchasing is at your own leisure, if you're looking to do some different world coins in silver, I'd recommend checking out some of the well known and running series. Thinks like Australian Kookaburra's or Koala's, maybe a Chinese Panda, any of the lunar year type coins, etc. In the first year of my stack building I ended up buying a variety of silver coins with no real strategy other than appreciate the goodies. It really helped me in understanding what type of coins do I enjoy, but also to understand different price points, premium, quality of design, etc. 

Either way, stack responsibly and it's a hobby for life, with a bit of stress and fomo, but a lot of enjoyment I'm sure!

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2021 at 07:52, MarkInSol said:

Morning all!

Just saying 'hi'. I'm new to gold and silver, I guess driven to metal by high stock market prices and the spectre of inflation. So far I have a couple of gold sovereigns, 1/4 gold Britannia, gold 20 Francs, 5g bar and 4 silver Britannias. My plan is to keep things balanced; some money into my pension, my graphics card is ticking over when I'm not using it doing a little mining in case Bitcoin does go to the moon (I'm not looking to start a thread on this topic btw) and finally the equivalent of a gold sovereign each month...maybe push to a full Britannia in a dip and then have a couple of months off. 

What I didn't expect is the instant hobby side this...OMG how gorgeous are the coins?! I know I am preaching to the converted here, but they are lovely and the kids think they are great. The hobbyist in me likes the idea of going around the world in 1oz silver coins and having a little display folder with info on each one, I might look to swap the 5g gold bar for silver Britannias once I know what a fair swap would be. Later, I'd like to go around the world in 1oz gold coins...I know this isn't sensible investing but I can think of worse hobbies! Worst case I guess I'll pay a premium for the hobby side of it.

I found this forum because of the @BackyardBullion YouTube channel. As much as I enjoy the entertainment of "Holy smokes", "$3000 silver!", "It's going to the moon!", "BUY METAL NOW...but use my affiliate link" type headlines and videos, I also want to be educated in a nice calm way. He/the channel is also one of the reasons I joined as a paid member straight away, I know how much effort a YouTube channel takes. Not sure what BYB's relationship is to the forum but I hope this helps his cause.

Anyway, I'm glad I found the forum. Looking forward to chatting, learning a bit and gently dipping my toe into private buying coin by coin with my 'around the world in silver coins' collection 🙂 

I recently wrote a Newbie general advice page:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/newbies-investment-guide/1008

It's not the first I have written, but an updated version, aimed at covering about 90% of commonly asked questions, and was prompted by a few similar newbie questions recently on TSF.

Hopefully you should find it free from hype. Feedback welcome.

P.S. I can recommend a good dealer! 🙂

Chards

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder & Administrator

Hello and welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• 2 weeks later...