• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is your most rare sovereign?

Foster88

• 2 months later...

I had to sell/trade my Ansell some years ago (PCGS62) as partial trade for a very rare pattern silver set of 1937.  

Even more unbelievable, I also threw into the trade a proof milled edge 1838 and as well as a couple of other patterns (these to Baldwins). I think I'd have done better financially to keep the sovs, but since I could not hope to complete a collection of such and my proof silvers were so advanced, I let them go. 

Saved but a PCGS53 1879 that really is not very attractive.

As far as the Ansells, I suspect the 10-25 figure as stated above is quite low and would guess it to be treble that or possibly even more. The best I'd seen was a "64".

The 1913C is thought of as rare, however it IMO appears that most were saved and seems that one can be found at any time as long as the buyer is happy with a 62-63 coin. 64 is very much harder to come by, although I suspect for some reason that interest is limited in this coin. I sold a 63 and then rebought another as I had a like 1914C; I think if the right offer came along I would sell both.

Hi All,

Just wondered if any of the following are really worth getting graded? They all seem good, some very good on the eye however sending them to PCGS can be expensive. I already have a 1918 I MS64 and 1880 S AU53.

1875S, 1898, 1912P, 1889M, 1911C, 1914, 1925SA, 1908

Thanks

37 minutes ago, PNE said:

Hi All,

Just wondered if any of the following are really worth getting graded? They all seem good, some very good on the eye however sending them to PCGS can be expensive. I already have a 1918 I MS64 and 1880 S AU53.

1875S, 1898, 1912P, 1889M, 1911C, 1914, 1925SA, 1908

Thanks

Something I ask myself too. Over 2/3rds of my (albeit relatively small) collection are older than 100 years old, but for the most part all are VF of better (or were sold as such). 

Judging by selling prices I see for slabbed coins, it would appear that most command in excess of the £25 cost of getting it graded, over the price that non graded examples secure. 

Of course, I'm still a rookie at this game. i'd love to have someone cast an eye over my own collection (or photos of at least) and give some idea of what would benefit from being graded.   

I wish I could help you out but as yourself I'm a newbie that bought a few coins, much to the missus distress as I'm always on the laptop trying to find out more information lol.

Hopefully someone will get back to me on the post above,

Thanks

8 hours ago, PNE said:

I wish I could help you out but as yourself I'm a newbie that bought a few coins, much to the missus distress as I'm always on the laptop trying to find out more information lol.

Hopefully someone will get back to me on the post above,

Thanks

Have you got the latest revised Sovereign book by Marsh?

For information I’d start there. With regards to grading it’s based on a Coin by coin basis and comes down to the individual coins condition.

I’m looking to grade a few of my rare Sovereigns. Unless low mintage or rare I don’t see any reason to grade but that’s just my opinion.

The latest version of The Gold Sovereign by Marsh has just been released and it’s a good resource for research.

4 hours ago, Foster88 said:

For information I’d start there. With regards to grading it’s based on a Coin by coin basis and comes down to the individual coins condition.

I’m looking to grade a few of my rare Sovereigns. Unless low mintage or rare I don’t see any reason to grade but that’s just my opinion.

The latest version of The Gold Sovereign by Marsh has just been released and it’s a good resource for research.

I have also found Spink's Coins of England and the United Kingdom an invaluable source for identifying coins which may have greater than bullion value, even in lower grades. Both the pre-decimal and decimal editions are available as ebooks on Google Play Books, which is far more convenient. I have instant access to them on my tablet or phohe. 

Coins of England and the United Kingdom 2020, Emma Howard. - Pre 1971 
https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=p17dDwAAQBAJ

Coins of England & the United Kingdom (2021), Emma Howard. - post 1971 
https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=R_4VEAAAQBAJ

6 hours ago, Foster88 said:

Thanks for the information, no I haven't got the book, but will take a look for it now

18 minutes ago, PNE said:

Thanks for the information, no I haven't got the book, but will take a look for it now

If you are buying the latest gold sovereign book, it also works well with the Spink coin book. I often find myself using both together, as the Spink lists all the variety types for the year that’s not always listed in the gold sovereign book. 

DISH for jubilee heads is a must you can download a pdf of this on line. 

cheers 

Dave 

3 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

If you are buying the latest gold sovereign book, it also works well with the Spink coin book. I often find myself using both together, as the Spink lists all the variety types for the year that’s not always listed in the gold sovereign book. 

DISH for jubilee heads is a must you can download a pdf of this on line. 

cheers 

Dave 

Cheers for the info Dave