• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

925 silver

Damon

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

I don't get why more people will buy .900 junk silver then .925 sterling?..I know, its cos its coinage but if you're only worried about silver as a hedge then what's printed on it matters less then its pm content surely.

Sure, I don't know much about sterling myself but have come across some nice coins that happened to be sterling and scooped them up: the Austrian Kreuzer re-strike which was below-spot and the pre-libertad Mexican Onzas which were high-premium. So it would see it depends on where you are and what it is. I assume LCS around me wouldn't want sterling bars, and that would have to sell to a scrapper/refiner.

Additionally if a real physical silver shortage comes to pass then selling sterling will probably become easier and get better prices.

I made my biggest gains in buying sterling and 50% silver. I used to buy kilos of the stuff when spot was low and when spot doubled cashed them all in. They are a pure play, but low, and aim to sell at or below spot. 

I don’t get the obsession with 999 silver but if your strategy is to cash in at scrap place then junk silver is the way to go. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

3 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I made my biggest gains in buying sterling and 50% silver. I used to buy kilos of the stuff when spot was low and when spot doubled cashed them all in. They are a pure play, but low, and aim to sell at or below spot. 

I don’t get the obsession with 999 silver but if your strategy is to cash in at scrap place then junk silver is the way to go. 

Nice!  Peoples dislike .925 works for me!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 minute ago, dicker said:

Well done @ilovesilverireallydo

Very attractively displayed. What type of capsules are you using? Preferable to the RM screw capsules would you say?

Best

Dicker

I got most loose so had to improvise. 
queen’s beast capsules with sovereign inserts for piedfort and Britannia capsules for the standard ones. Sourced from coingallery. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Just now, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I got most loose so had to improvise. 
queen’s beast capsules with sovereign inserts for piedfort and Britannia capsules for the standard ones. Sourced from coingallery. 

Many thanks.  I like the proportions, makes the very best of a beautiful coin.  

1 hour ago, dicker said:

Many thanks.  I like the proportions, makes the very best of a beautiful coin.  

Thank you. I think they look stunning that way. Look great in a box now, the “3D” feel of the piedfort in those capsules look great. 

Just in case anyone is interested, by my reckoning there are 35 distinct one pound Piedforts to collect. (The old one pound style of course).  @PapaLazarouand I discussed this on mail and I think we both agree on 35.  

Some, like the 2014 shield piedfort have  very low mintages only 487 minted! All credit to @PapaLazaroufor funding that into.  

Best

Dicker

1 hour ago, dicker said:

Just in case anyone is interested, by my reckoning there are 35 distinct one pound Piedforts to collect. (The old one pound style of course).  @PapaLazarouand I discussed this on mail and I think we both agree on 35.  

Some, like the 2014 shield piedfort have  very low mintages only 487 minted! All credit to @PapaLazaroufor funding that into.  

Best

Dicker

I believe there is a thread with a list will find and link here

On 07/01/2021 at 14:09, DarkChameleon said:

I don't get why more people will buy .900 junk silver then .925 sterling?..I know, its cos its coinage but if you're only worried about silver as a hedge then what's printed on it matters less then its pm content surely.

Here in the US it might be different but all our coinage pre-1965 was always .900, never .925.

I focus on the .900 because it is universally recognized as currency, and if it's going to be used as silver money then people will recognize it. These things weren't faked (or not widely so if ever) so there's no question that they're genuine.

I like all circulated silver as it has a history and worn coins usually show its genuine however the problem is some coins are rare and actually are copied/faked a lot

Morgans etc are readily  available on lots of sites like Alibaba  etc

55 minutes ago, MikeG1978 said:

I like all circulated silver as it has a history and worn coins usually show its genuine however the problem is some coins are rare and actually are copied/faked a lot

Morgans etc are readily  available on lots of sites like Alibaba  etc

They were and some Kennedys too when they were in circ....now they're looking at destroyed coins being faked because of the buyback scheme the government has its had to start an investigation for coins that seem to have been damaged in the same places and coins that have been melted down not meeting exact percentages of metals...seems they'll fake everything including real actual junk...lol

On 12/01/2021 at 19:24, KPW82 said:

Do you care about picking up doubles of royal crowns or would you take whatever you can get if the price is right, the same as 999 bullion?

Yes.  If I am buying to scrap them. 

Archived