• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

925 silver

Damon

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes i think 925 is worth buying.  If you are going to buy it make sure it is stamped 925 and it tests 925.   Some of the antique 925 sterling silver is just under 925 they did not have as accurate testing facilaties 200 years ago. 

2 hours ago, Damon said:

Bin offered 1kg of 925 silver in a block, he has his own auction business and gets it well below scrap price and pours its himself for £395 yay or nay?

MY lcs does that too, probably more use in smaller bars so they can be remelted easier in future...some refiners are not fans of large ingots, too skittish about foreign bodies think...although under the gun all truth is told.

8 hours ago, Damon said:

Iv got a decision to make so do I go 925 1kg for £395 or 999 for £650kg what's peoples thoughts ?

He's offering the Sterling for $17.57 per ounce of pure silver by my math, when spot is $24.00. Why? Seems strange.

Sterling might be less liquid with stackers. But I wouldn't expect such a huge discount to be real.

55 minutes ago, Damon said:

It's my coach from the my gym he owns auction business and pretty much for nothing well under scrap price then melts it into bars 

Why sell so cheap when he could walk into a pawnbrokers and get 95% spot, 90% on a bad day. Is he getting them hallmarked? If not its probably because your coach has no idea on the purity as he’s been throwing allsorts in. Complete gamble and likely against you as he’s making money at whatever price he sells you, you’ll regret it, buy some brits or a proper bar 👍

14 hours ago, Damon said:

Iv got a decision to make so do I go 925 1kg for £395 or 999 for £650kg what's peoples thoughts ?

You could always refine the 925 bar to 9999 fine using electrolysis in a silver nitrate bath then pour your own pure silver bars.  It's relatively easy to do.

Dissolve it, precipitate it, melt it, electrolyse it and pour yourself a stash worthy of a king!  Then bury the fecker under a tree :)

So, where did the other 210.5g go?  Not as good a deal as your coach originally proposed and you're only saving yourself about £25 on the spot price of pure silver.  Bit of a bummer

Dissolve it, precipitate it, melt it, electrolyse it and pour yourself a stash worthy of a king!  Then bury the fecker under a tree :)

3 minutes ago, Jimmock said:

This might not be correct,I might just be making this up. 😂😂 But dont all pm bars that are sold in this country have to by law be hallmarked. Maybe somebody like @BackyardBullion can confirm this or not.

You're bang on @Jimmock, yes they do.

5 minutes ago, Jimmock said:

This might not be correct,I might just be making this up. 😂😂 But dont all pm bars that are sold in this country have to by law be hallmarked. Maybe somebody like @BackyardBullion can confirm this or not.

Hallmarking is not a legal requirement for bars and rounds that can be defined as just simple bullion bars. 

It is when they start getting pretty and having nice artistic elements to them like hammering or pretty patterns and ripples that you get into grey areas of legislation. 

Personally I am very much of the mind that a pretty hammered finish bar with designs and stamps on it is NOT a simple bullion bar - which is why I assay and hallmark everything regardless. 

It is down to interpretation from trading standards at the end of the day - and I just never want to be on the wrong side of that. 

These bars, no need to hallmark. Make it pretty and add value to it - in my opinion 100% yes. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I should also add, Selling NON hallmarked silver that is required to be hallmarked on the second hand market can actually be an offence in the legislation too - so buying something from someone that is not hallmarking their silver and then you subsequently selling it at a later date could get YOU in trouble. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

15 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

MY lcs does that too, probably more use in smaller bars so they can be remelted easier in future...some refiners are not fans of large ingots, too skittish about foreign bodies think...although under the gun all truth is told.

Depends on the gun, the operator and the thoroughness of both. I’ve worked in metal all my life (until April this actually...love Covid..) and you wouldn’t believe the lengths people will go to to rip you off. Plenty of dealers have been stitched up - bales are worse than ingots to be fair, but ingots are often the target of a nefarious plan. You need to gun at 5 points along the length of the bar and then along the longest axis to be relatively sure. 

All of the above is with non-Pm non-ferrous, but of people the that hard to rip you off in the copper/brass/Ti/SS arena, I imagine there’s plenty that try in the PM world.

The Niton brand guns are best, but bugger me they are expensive! XRF in general have a very narrow band of detection, so although the penetration is good (so she said 🤣) the width of detection is, usually, not.

I reflected in my comment and it is not meant to be rude.  I simply dont get why people don’t by 925.

I have over 20 kilos of 925 collected slowly over the years (all in coin format) and people really do dislike it.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

12 minutes ago, dicker said:

I reflected in my comment and it is not meant to be rude.  I simply dont get why people don’t by 925.

I have over 20 kilos of 925 collected slowly over the years (all in coin format) and people really do dislike it.  

Best

Dicker

I love 925 because it's usually way cheaper than spot for equivalent silver weight.  Chuck it through a refining cell and pour my own pure silver bars.  I need to get with it and start talking to the assay office though as it's time I got those bars certified.

Archived