• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Monitoring Thread £ (GBP) only.

Message added by ChrisSilver

To discuss price action in USD instead, please see here: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19861-silver-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

2 minutes ago, bobski said:

I'm shooting blind here, but I always thought it was a way of indicating when to sell one and buy the other. 

Sure. If those were the only things to buy.  Or if you were buying one with the other.

But if both go up, like now for example, it doesn't tell you anything about which to buy with fiat.

Just seems a pointless measure to me.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

1 minute ago, Charliemouse said:

Sure. If those were the only things to buy.  Or if you were buying one with the other.

But if both go up, like now for example, it doesn't tell you anything about which to buy with fiat.

Just seems a pointless measure to me.

I meant, in an exchange from one to another. Not buying with fiat effectively (I know it's still going to be the middleman)

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

Posted (edited)

(Joking of course 😆)

That bell 🔚 pretending to be Barbie wound me up.

Made women look so thick!

But it's very rare you get chancers on here. They're soon worked out.

Edited by katyc
Spelling

Posted (edited)

Thank god for feedback to help avoid scams. But not always guaranteed if someone hasn't been around long unfortunately.

Edited by katyc

9 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Honest question from someone that hasn't been doing this very long.

What is the point of the gold/silver ratio?  Other than a fun derivative stat that people talk about (a lot), or a way to measure your own holdings, does it actually matter?

I mean they are two separately traded commodities.  They have completely different supply and demand chains.  So why does their ratio matter?  I guess historically people would trade between them as prices fluctuated, but these days there are hundreds of thousands of things people (institutions) could just as easily move money between.  And literally no one agrees on what it 'should' be.

So why measure it?

I think it might make more sense to move from one to the other in parts of the world where they are on more of an equal footing. Here in the UK silver attracts the old Vodka and Tonic so the gold silver ratio would only be relevant if it took this in to account. 

43 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Honest question from someone that hasn't been doing this very long.

What is the point of the gold/silver ratio?  Other than a fun derivative stat that people talk about (a lot), or a way to measure your own holdings, does it actually matter?

I mean they are two separately traded commodities.  They have completely different supply and demand chains.  So why does their ratio matter?  I guess historically people would trade between them as prices fluctuated, but these days there are hundreds of thousands of things people (institutions) could just as easily move money between.  And literally no one agrees on what it 'should' be.

So why measure it?

I’m in the same boat, when I started I would always gauge my purchases around the current ratio.. but honestly I stopped very quickly - I ain’t traded from one metal to another enough to keep my stack close to the ratio.

I have steered more to buy what I like when I like.. oh and graded coins are my new found hobby 

6 hours ago, Shuaib121 said:

Where there is gold there is no god. Greed turns people into animals. Cutthroat capitalism eventually becomes the order of the day.

It’s not  a ideal system , but it’s the best we have , and I agree it can be brutal, especially On the individual, , people ,and nations