• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

eBay.co.uk - GOLD - The " That's not a bad deal " thread

Paul

Hi guys, i have had time on my side the past few nights, and have been trying to single out what my next gold buy(s) will be. 

Now, its the first time i have looked in depth on eBay.co.uk while looking to buy. In my head i have just written it off as always too expensive for gold.

It looks like nothing has changed, 95% of everything out there is still dear, and some priced downright daft or looking to profit from the inexperienced out there.

eBay offers choice of items, that you cant just go and buy from HGM, Chards or Atkinsons however

There are bound to be diamonds in the rough out there to be found, the one 'good deal' in the sea of 100s of others 

I think i have found an idea for what 'may' be a good thread for here on the forum, for continued replies ongoing, a mega thread with time. A thread you'll revisit/re-post to

What my idea is, while you are on your ebay.co.uk travels looking/searching around & you find an item that seems to tick all the boxes of being an 'alright/good value deal', please post it here

Share the love your bargain hunters eyes have found with others here, if you cant afford it or don't intend on buying it yourself, please post the item number or eBay.co.uk item link here for others to benefit from buying or put it out to the floor for discussions why it is a good deal or worth buying 

This might include, an item that:

1. is a reasonable(ish) price

2. It is a good price for the grade 

3.  One sold at XXXX on XXXXm this one is priced lower

4.  XXX is listed at the same £RRP it was on issue from The Mint when released

5.  its a c**p grade but its only X% ovber spot for a graded coin

Maybe best to just restrict to "buy it now" items only, as auctions can be appear £ low but loads of folk could have watches/snipes in place to bid it up from cheap to expensive in last minute

My hope is, through collective shared searching here on the forum we can cut ourselves hours of looking through page after page looking for the diamond in the rough bargain 

Also can hopefully keep newbies away from paying over the odds or buying dodgy goods or overprice stuff

Any input or thoughts guys ?

If this thread for GOLD ended up working, same could be done for SILVER good deals 

Mods : if you feel this thread wont add value to forum, feel free to amend or delete thread as you see fit

Although there are some reputable people on ebay. There are lots of rouges espically on ebay, they go for things with intrinsic value, like gold. There are threads on here that people have really had thier fingers burned from ebay. For me I would rather pay a little more than a load of old tonk from ebay. Just be very care my friend!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Just now, HerefordBullyun said:

Although there are some reputable people on ebay. There are lots of rouges espically on ebay, they go for things with intrinsic value, like gold. There are threads on here that people have really had thier fingers burned from ebay. For me I would rather pay a little more than a load of old tonk from ebay. Just be very care my friend!

Im not a newby to all this @HerefordBullyun im nearly 15 years now stacking, 22 years buying and selling one Bay and it would be my hope that with the collective shared pooled knowledge here we could help people not get their fingers burnt.

Its takes a good few years buying and selling experience on ebay to know how to weed through the rubbish and bad sellers, know what to look for, what red flags to look for, the scams to avoid  

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

Im not a newby to all this @HerefordBullyun im nearly 15 years now stacking, 22 years buying and selling one Bay and it would be my hope that with the collective shared pooled knowledge here we could help people not get their fingers burnt.

Its takes a good few years buying and selling experience on ebay to know how to weed through the rubbish and bad sellers, know what to look for, what red flags to look for, the scams to avoid  

I dont doubt you buddy for one second. But I feel it seems like a lot of hard work for what sometimes could be a headache. I really wish you the best. Id hate it for any of fellow forum members to be ripped off. I do admire your tenacity to pick up a bargain mate :). My post is with all good intentions and I am sure yours is!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Buying on EBay is a gamble. It is very easy for sellers to misrepresent items or simply not understand what they are selling. There are bargains but also overpriced items and fakes. Of my three recent buys there two were in far better condition than expected at good prices and the other not so much. In comparison all of my buys from accredited coin dealers have exactly as expected being in excellent condition. My advice is if you are not sure don’t do it, I would not feel comfortable recommending EBay buys to anyone else. Please don’t take this as a criticism, it’s just my view.

I’m sure most members of the silver forum have a basic understanding of the precious metals game.

If there are any deals to be found they can be discussed and the eagle eyed, or more experienced members can share their thoughts on whether items are indeed genuine/good value for money etc.

@Paul I like the idea 👍

Just now, Shep said:

I like the idea 👍

@Paul, I also like the idea.

Most people are aware of the potential dangers of Ebay, and a thread like this, could be just the thing to help people make better choices, when it comes to buying on there.

Interested to see where it goes...

50 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

It’s a great idea @Paul but the ones I currently have my eyes on I don’t want to shout about 😂 

Exactly my thoughts when I saw the OP

If it's a BIN then fair enough, which I see you mentioned on re-reading.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Good timing for it... there is a no seller fee eBay UK promo going on right now so there might be gold nearer spot as buy it now (check to see when the listing started though as the promo started a week ago and ends in a week)

Just please please check any PGCS or NGC codes first, a coin might not be fake but massively misrepresented. An example from a seller I almost posted in here but didn't (not for just this reason either)

Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 04.02.51.png

@Prophecy Agreed....the differences between the two images is pretty stark.  

I am not an expert photographer, but the photo has been taken in a way that presents a very different view from the NGC photo or it has been 'photoshopped'

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

hhhmmm so feelings are reasonably positive, to the idea.  I totally getting you folk saying you wouldn't want to share info that may be a good buy, if you have your eyes on it for yourself, that is fair enough, keep it to yourself and enjoy the item 

But if you are just killing time on the bus to work looking what on ebay and think .....oohhh "I wish it was pay day i would go for that" cant afford it, ill just pop it on the forum

With any purchase a buyer makes,  no responsibility would fall on the forum, poster, as with anything in life "buyer beware", buyer should always do their own due diligence and checks on an item/seller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Gold-Proof-Five-Pounds-Crown-Countdown-To-2012-Olympics-NGC-PF70-UCAM/114263704578?hash=item1a9aa5c402:g:KsEAAOSwZUle1pGU   2009 Gold Proof Five Pounds Crown. Countdown To 2012 Olympics, NGC PF70 UCAM  - £1848.60

Comment: "great price for a £5 gold piece in MS70 grade,  £369.72 per sovereign part of it.  Olympic theme coin dont seem the most popular in my opinion, been on ebay a few times. Established seller, with many previous gold sales"  

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Gold-Proof-Five-Pounds-Crown-Countdown-To-2012-Olympics-NGC-PF70-UCAM/114263704578?hash=item1a9aa5c402:g:KsEAAOSwZUle1pGU   2009 Gold Proof Five Pounds Crown. Countdown To 2012 Olympics, NGC PF70 UCAM  - £1848.60

Comment: "great price for a £5 gold piece in MS70 grade,  £369.72 per sovereign part of it.  Olympic theme coin dont seem the most popular in my opinion, been on ebay a few times. Established seller, with many previous gold sales"  

Save myself £50 and buy from someone known in the forum 

errr it "sold"

and compared to other £5 gold pieces on eBay this is one of the cheapest available in good grade. 

the thread is meant to be for ebay specific only.  i have found my best bargains on the forum here

Just now, Notafront4adragon said:

Yes to be fair it is a good price on eBay

This is what i am trying to start. 

ANY gold item on eBay will have 10% front loaded to the price to cover fees and commissions so it will never compete with forum & facebook groups

Just try to find and point out the diamonds in the rough that are available on eBay.co.uk 

Good idea. An equivalent for silver may be a good idea as well (unless it's there and I missed it).

Something that sometimes happens and can cause an auction price to remain low is mistakenly putting a coin or bar into medals and memorabilia. It's worth trawling that sub category not just for that but also for the not infrequent bargains on sterling silver 'medal' coins and the like. I've had a few near spot price deals on stuff like this. 

Based on some of the feedback, I'd suggest top-loading the thread with all the necessary warnings and caveats, particularly for all the recent, new members.

I am someone, who definitely has learned lessons from years of Ebay trading, and started my precious metals journey vowing never to go there, but a resource / thread like this, I would use "responsibly" (maybe not for my bank balance), accepting any and all fall-out, positive or negative.

I still use Ebay as a "price guide" now, to get an idea of sold-item prices and have consistently found TSF Buy & Sell to win out. I agree, however, there are always Ebay listings that fall between the cracks - we should definitely exploit that! :) 

Maybe this thread could be moved to the Premium Members section, otherwise could your thread be found via search engines? 

Just a thought. 

Apologies if I've misunderstood how this works. 

It could be classed a premium member benefit to have i guess. 

The collective searching of 100s of forum stackers/collectors sharing the best deal they find 

Archived