• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Who’s collecting Kookaburra's...?

TheBeast

33 minutes ago, platinreloaded said:

Evolution of time: Nice  antiqued coin but has no kookaburra motiv on it at all

kookaburras reiter apokalypse 011.JPG

kookaburras reiter apokalypse 008.JPG

Wow nice! I like that antiqued finish. 

Is this the only one you got? You’ve got a very nice collection!👌

The Kookaburra evolution 10oz coins started in 2001 & finished in 2005 they were produced as single 10oz coins with antiqued or coloured reverse. They also feature in the Kilo sets from 2001 to 2005 & other than having the word Kookaburra on the reverse have nothing to do with the kookaburra series IMHO.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

10 hours ago, TheBeast said:

Wow nice! I like that antiqued finish. 

Is this the only one you got? You’ve got a very nice collection!👌

Thank you. It was the only one of the series "evolution" I got. It was in one of the 3 coins sets and I sold it a few years ago because I collect only the kookaburras and bought something else for my collection.  A month ago I have seen on eBay the complete 10 oz silver series "evolution" as single coins. But the price was not low.

Edited by platinreloaded

4 hours ago, platinreloaded said:

Thank you. It was the only one of the series "evolution" I got. It was in one of the 3 coins sets and I sold it a few years ago because I collect only the kookaburras and bought something else for my collection.  A month ago I have seen on eBay the complete 10 oz silver series "evolution" as single coins. But the price was not low.

The prices are somewhere between €400-500 each, in my opinion a little to high, was it hard to sell the coin? I don't think there's much demand on these.

Edited by TheBeast

The coin was in the 3 coins set. I sold it after   two or three weeks on eBay to a collector for a good price. Think because of the rare 2 oz Kookaburra PP in the set!   

For sure it was hard for me to give it away. But I can`t collect every thing. I got the 2 oz Kookaburras complete, also some rare Kookaburras in Gold and the rare 2oz PP Kookaburras in the red boxes (not all but most of them). For a collector it is going to be year by year harder to complete Kookaburras and Lunar collections. 

Edited by platinreloaded

New guy here, and I do like the Kookaburras (as well as Koala's if the truth be known).  I'm a bit perplexed by the "privy" marked coins in these series though.  Are those typically collected along with the yearly coins or as a separate distinct set?   I'm not quite sure how that came about or where they fit in?

What say all the "kooks" watching in this thread.?

Edited by BSquared

@BSquared Collect the Privy KOOKS at your peril...I do, and it has cost me a small fortune (but it’s also been a pleasure). Having said that, to get them all we are talking less than £5k GBP, so not too bad financially compared to other coins!

Information on them is also hard to come by.

Do I regret collecting them...No

Welcome to the Dark Side!

PS I started by collecting the 1oz BU coins from 1990, but that was too easy...I then went after the Privy coins. If you have any specific questions on these, the forum is a great place to obtain information..just ask!

5 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

@BSquared Collect the Privy KOOKS at your peril...I do, and it has cost me a small fortune (but it’s also been a pleasure). Having said that, to get them all we are talking less than £5k GBP, so not too bad financially compared to other coins!

Information on them is also hard to come by.

Do I regret collecting them...No

Welcome to the Dark Side!

PS I started by collecting the 1oz BU coins from 1990, but that was too easy...I then went after the Privy coins. If you have any specific questions on these, the forum is a great place to obtain information..just ask!

What's the difference between Privy KOOKS and normal kooks  apart from the little animal stamp?

it's probably a silly question but I don't know the answer and I have always wondered. 

28 minutes ago, silverdocket said:

What's the difference between Privy KOOKS and normal kooks  apart from the little animal stamp?

it's probably a silly question but I don't know the answer and I have always wondered. 

The price!

Mintages are much lower.

Thats about it I reckon...some celebrate places or events as well.

6 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

The price!

Mintages are much lower.

Thats about it I reckon...some celebrate places or events as well.

really, the privy ones are more expensive? how things must have changed.

when i was really looking for kooks around 4 -5 years ago, I made a decision not to bother with the privies as i think they are naff as a general rule, but they were much more readily available and at lower prices.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

34 minutes ago, silverdocket said:

Nothing, Perth mint often add a privy to break mintage limits. The Kook has an insane amount of privy coins mainly 1oz & 2oz versions both proof, Bu & specimen. The privies come in all sorts of forms not just animals, there are cars, sovs, artists, glamour, ancients, palindrome, European cities etc etc, I've collected kooks for years & don't know all the privy versions.There was a great Australian website now gone that had them all on it & there were hundreds of them.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

4 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

really, the privy ones are more expensive? how things must have changed.

when i was really looking for kooks around 4 -5 years ago, I made a decision not to bother with the privies as i think they are naff as a general rule, but they were much more readily available and at lower prices.

I can assure you, the Privy coins are currently more expensive than the normal issue kooks.

I have a spreadsheet which lists all of the 1oz Privy coins which have been minted since 1992 (117), I own most of them, and have bought carefully from all over the world over the last 4 years. My average price paid per coin is over £35 each, but this does include the F15 versions as well, which are becoming stupidly expensive for what they are...now they are becoming ‘naff’.

Some of the rarities 1992 and 1993 Eagles will set you back over £100 and £200 each respectively, and there are at least another dozen or so that will be hard to source for less than £40;each.

As to them being ‘naff’ that’s your opinion, and I can think of a few that I would describe in a similar way. However, compared to the carp the Royal mint are pumping out on a regular basis these days, I think the quality of most of the Perth Mint coins compares favourably.

There's no doubting the vast amount of bad issued over the last few years. Even the Perth Mint have been churning them out to a certain degree but have been consistently the best over the long term. They certainly went to town though with the kook privies.

Privy marks have been routinely used to increase mintage figures and to artificially create a new collector series. It is for this reason that I avoid them along with my opinion that the marks often ruin the original design. Each to their own.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

10 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

I can assure you, the Privy coins are currently more expensive than the normal issue kooks.

I have a spreadsheet which lists all of the 1oz Privy coins which have been minted since 1992 (117), I own most of them, and have bought carefully from all over the world over the last 4 years. My average price paid per coin is over £35 each, but this does include the F15 versions as well, which are becoming stupidly expensive for what they are...now they are becoming ‘naff’.

Some of the rarities 1992 and 1993 Eagles will set you back over £100 and £200 each respectively, and there are at least another dozen or so that will be hard to source for less than £40;each.

As to them being ‘naff’ that’s your opinion, and I can think of a few that I would describe in a similar way. However, compared to the carp the Royal mint are pumping out on a regular basis these days, I think the quality of most of the Perth Mint coins compares favourably.

I appreciate all the great information you guys have been offering.  I believe I've snagged all th 1oz. privy marked Kooks and Koala's except two, if my information is correct.  Missing a 2012 Koala (Berlin Bear) and that Kookaburra F15 thingy.  What exactly is it, a Privy Mark or special packaging, etc.  I can find no details etc.

10 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said: