• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns: to halve or not...

greektony

Evening all, now that I am coming close to completing my first monster box of silver I am looking at diversifying into gold. In all your expert opinions is there an issue when it comes to buying half sovereigns? I am hoping to buy 1 coin a month to get in the habit of continuing to stack and a full sovereign maybe a bit of an ask some months if I have been social! :( I have looked on the for sale part of the forum and they do seem to shift when posted. I'm, just after any advice before I pull the trigger. I'm under the impression that a sovereign is a sovereign whether full or half, but I'm still quite a newbie to all this

Thanks.

I feel I would be biased should I give any input on the matter.... ;)

Most will say buy what you can pay for and when it comes to full or half sovs you are in good hands.

A half and a full sov will shift very easily.  A half normally costs more than half the cost of a full sov due to economies of scale I guess.

Nothing wrong with buying a half sovereign, especially a 2019 one, should you find one for sale in the for sale thread.

Ahem.

You won't go far wrong buying Sovs or half Sovs.

I you buy it and wish you hadn't then they are easy to sell on the Forum so the risk is very small.

You can even sell them at jewellers or pawnbrokers but probably won't get the best price.

They take up less space than all that silver too.

I've been buying quite a few half sovereigns over the last few months - and if you are prepared to put the time and effort in, you can fairly readily pick them up at very reasonable prices

Only slight downside to half sov is the have bit more premium.  You might catch that if you sell on privately but the bullion dealer doesn't care.  The advantage is the lower cost makes then fit smaller budget.  If holding for years looking for long term rise, the 1-2% on the premium shouldnt matter. 

Not much in it mate and buying bullion, not much of a difference between half or full and advantages of this coin thereof. 

Looking at proof coins, halfs are generally a lot cheaper but I think they will do well longer term. Just my opinion. Better sticking with bullion for pure gold/location/liquidaty 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Thanks everyone. This forum is a great place to learn and get advice. I'm just a long way from giving it out myself! Just bought what may be a largish last order from GS.be so funds look like the will dictate the way forward is the half! :)

Doesnt really matter as mentioned you do pay a slight premium for half sov, similar to 1/2oz gold coins compared to 1oz.  

Do your research, as Gold prices fall i dont see sellers adjusting prices on here whereas bullion dealers do, i have seen many sovs list on here recently for more than what you pay at HGM/Atkinson after postage etc

6 hours ago, silvernewbie said:

Do your research, as Gold prices fall i dont see sellers adjusting prices on here whereas bullion dealers do, i have seen many sovs list on here recently for more than what you pay at HGM/Atkinson after postage etc

@silvernewbie is right - the price of PM’s dipped this week and there are a lot of items for sale on the forum at the moment that do not reflect that price dip. That’s ok and nothing wrong with that as the price is fluctuating a lot at the moment and could easily upturn come Monday. But if you are cost conscious then perhaps stick to bullion dealers like Atkinsons and @BleyerBullion who’s prices run parallel with spot changes. 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

Hi @AurumArgenti

I used to think the same but now far prefer sovereigns.  They are very liquid, really interesting, and as long as you stay away from the modern Sovereigns there are some amazingly detailed strikes available, errors, anomalies etc. 

Whatever you choose, good luck and enjoy!

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, dicker said:

and as long as you stay away from the modern Sovereigns there are some amazingly detailed strikes available, errors, anomalies etc. 

For the very same reason I stick to only modern Sovs! I just stack them so don't wish to be drawn into what I suspect would be a very time-consuming and extremely fulfilling hobby on top! Plus as a modern proof collector it just fits in nicely :)

5 hours ago, dicker said:

@kimchi and that is why this is such a nice hobby!  Nice people, massive choices and varieties!

Best

Dicker

Absolutely! I have no doubt whatsoever if I got started with the 'prope'r Sovs I would be hooked for life, and would love my new hobby/passion - I just simply do not have that time ! For me if a job's worth doing I want to perfect it - non-modern Sovs can be a lifetime's work!

Archived