• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

3 minutes ago, MrStacker said:

I reckon tt will go straight to 1950 by monday afternoon. By mid wednesday afternoon we could see it break over £2000. With everything going on I cannot see it slow down. Lot's of stackers will be adjusting their approach this year. Even aiming for x1 full gold sovereign might end up being unaffordable per a month.

Build/queue up paper-gold until you have enough and spreads are appealing enough to move that over to physical. Often there's a couple of percent or more difference between 1oz coins and Sov's/fractionals.

3 minutes ago, MickB said:

You can't go wrong with precious metals either way. Gold goes up but is unaffordable and platinum is cheap and affordable. At one time not long ago platinum was dearer than gold. It may go back that way one day. Best to hold it than not.

I agree, don't get me wrong. But if the questions is - what PM to spend £2000 on now - would it be platinum?

3 minutes ago, DisplayName said:

I agree, don't get me wrong. But if the questions is - what PM to spend £2000 on now - would it be platinum?

For £60 more you can buy 2 oz of platinum qb coins or for £100 less one gold 1oz Britannia. It's always up to the individual. 

36 minutes ago, Go65 said:

It is now! 

I feel your pain! 🥹

51 minutes ago, Bratnia said:

Build/queue up paper-gold until you have enough and spreads are appealing enough to move that over to physical. Often there's a couple of percent or more difference between 1oz coins and Sov's/fractionals.

I see what you mean but I’ve never had an interest in paper gold or ETFs. 

Always and only physical for me. 

4 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Oi less of the old!

Welcome back whippersnapper! :D 

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

1 hour ago, Gruff said:

Even when on the gold standard periodic upward revisions occurred. No different nowadays excepting the 'peg' is a channel range, and its easier to revise the price of gold into alignment with the US dollar than the other way around. 1970's upward revision, flat from 1980 for 25 years, upwards again (financial crisis), sideways/flat since 2010.

The Fed have access to (Treasury) gold at $42.222/ounce such that at $2111/oz it has 50x leverage, that increases if the market price of gold rises. More than enough to create/reduce paper-gold (122:1 ratio of paper gold to physical gold) in order to direct the price into alignment with the dollar. Fundamentally still the same however, overall upward nominal price trajectory (rises with inflation), but in a step/plateau price motion manner - that is a useful diversifier for other assets (stocks) that follow a different price motion pathway.