• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Honesty the best policy?

mr-dead

22 hours ago, danmc82 said:

TBH If it was me who found it, I'd think I was being set up and probably leave it alone.

That thought did cross my mind. The menial Pakistani cleaner would have his hand amputated under sharia law for theft. He’s not as foolish as some people think.

14 hours ago, Abyss said:

I recall several years ago I was self check out at ASDA and somebody in front of me done a cash withdrawal £50 forget to take their money. I put my groceries on the counter and ran after the man to hand him his cash. As soon as he realised his error he snatched the cash out of my hand and walk away without even a thank you. I felt gutted after handing him the cash that I simply did not keep it. Honesty the best policy but only with people who are genuinely appreciate you and are thankful for your honesty but you can never ascertain this beforehand IMHO.

People are strange, you just don't know what is happening in some folks heads or lives, maybe the guy was a real so'n'so, but maybe he was in a bad place. I had someone tell me once to cheer up when I stopped in a shop on my way back from a funeral!

My sister found an expensive phone and called the owner. She spent ages moaning that the woman hadn't seemed very thankful, and when she came to pick it up the kids took it to the door for her. Mum quizzed them 'was the lady really grateful?' etc and got quite cross that she hadn't seemed to be. Well I got a knock on the door the next day and it was the lady. She was a complete bag of nerves and could hardly get a sentence together or make eye contact (no idea why), but she said how very grateful she was, and she'd bought a nice plant for my sister and sweets for all the children, and driven quite a long way to bring them up.

As a metal detectorist I can safely say I would return it and be happy about doing it, I wouod,insist on meeting the person who lost it and getting my pic taken with them, but I would return it, I know that sometimes you take thjngs to the police station and they don't get returned and those things then go through the,police auctions and the money raised goes,to the police and in this case would just red use the amount of money the local government gave that area so it was really taken by them...in the same way as lottery taxes are for education.

I think though it's good karma and in a country that relies on that to continue to function then it's the right thing to do...and perhaps it was international stackers secret stash so we'd be helping a fellow stasher....either way, to keep it is to steal it when you know for,certain someone is looking for it, whether they are a good person or bad person that's not your call.

16 hours ago, Tn21 said:

Yh ok foolishness a bit harsh maybe but I have seen with that those who tread a straight line live honest lives get very little. On the opposite side the dodgy folks seem to be raking it in and have the big houses and cars etc.

In this life, yes, but this world isn't worthy of the genuine noble souls who lives a truly humble and righteous life. Not saying such a life is easy, but the world is the mess it is exactly because of the dodgy people and their behavior. 

16 hours ago, Kman said:

I had a similar moral dilemma recently, well, similar but also very different 

There's some domains dropping next week, related to pm's actually, I know of the owner 

I could have given them a heads up to be kind so they could renew them, but instead I've chosen to keep quiet and I hope to catch them myself 🤐

I did have a little internal debate whether to tell them or not but realistically a chance of making £xxx-x,xxx vs being nice.. couldn't do it, this is business and they're domains, it's not sentimental and I don't know the registrant personally

Chris suddenly nips off to check when the silverforum domain expires :)

2 hours ago, dicker said:

I would always return - especially in Saudi. Chop Square is no joke....

Pfft a hand's only a hand. Just don't try to smuggle it away tucked down the y-fronts :o

1 hour ago, Tn21 said:

@AuricGoldfinger and I are the only guys that would keep the loot if we found it, all be it at the expense of a hand. 

the rest are honourable chaps that would do the right thing and hand it over. 

Fair play.

I think it would be a very, very hard call for anyone so it's all hypothetical really, I'd like to believe I'd do the right thing but you have to be there imvho.

It's a tricky one if it's likely to be proceeds of major crime which the police would cash in if it was turned in and not claimed! I thought in the UK if no-one claims it within a time period it goes back to the finder, but folk on this thread say different (?)

Also seen 'karma' at work first hand many times so despite any temptations I wouldn't have any choice really (well yes, freewill just to do the honest thing even if the cops are corrupt - that's their problem).

Valid point there kimchi, I have seen karma go round and come around too. On that note I might have second thoughts on taking the hypothetical bag of gold.

The problem this fella had was he found it while cleaning at work. The chances of him getting away with trousering it were extremely thin. There would likely be CCTv and he stood to lose his job at best.

My problem in this type of situation is who is going to get their sticky mitts on the loot. I would be very reluctant to hand something over to the authorities of any description. I would do everthing possible to keep hold of the goods and try to find the rightful owner myself. I have done this on a couple of occasions, being successful just the once, sadly.

I once picked up a purse that had fallen off the roof of a car speeding past my house. It had the usual plastic cards and cash. I contacted banks etc and found out her address. I then drove the 20 miles only to be told she was the previous tenant but had moved out several months ago. I left my contact details with all and sundry but heard nothing more about it.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

For me it's a really easy decision.  Of course I'd return it or hand it in to the authorities.  I could then walk down the street with my head held high - and with both hands still attached to my wrists 😉

Archived