• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

No it's the jubilee head 1892 1. Well that's wots in the pic it's just listed as a jubilee head half shield.

Edited by Lea79

Picked up some coins from a pick and mix tray in Hatton garden

fb0c7f4f12b2ef305157f8003e911afa.jpg

1992 10 yuan snow leopard

1993 5 yuan yin/yang

1911 Hong Kong trade dollar

1994 kangaroo

Maple and ase

Tip of the day: if you look at the yin/yang on the floormat of the 5yuan, the yin section is mirrored. If you ever see one where both yin and yang are frosted - pick it up as they go for many hundreds of pounds.

Edited by DrDime

No I bought the capsule from eBay. They're only a few quid and come in all sizes.

Anybody any experience of airtite caps for sovereigns (or halves) either direct fit or ringed?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Anybody any experience of airtite caps for sovereigns (or halves) either direct fit or ringed?

A nightmare .  

Full sovereigns will go into a A22 Direct Fit or T22 Ringed.  A Rings only go to 19mm.

A Half Sovereign will go into a A19 Ringed.  T Rings start at 20mm.

A Half Sovereign will not fit a A19 Direct Fit because as the coin is ever so slightly too big.  It will fit a A21 Direct Fit but the coin is too small so there is a quite a bit of rattle.  They don't make a A20 Direct Fit.

You can have them in Direct Fit A if you don't mind rattling.

You can have them in Rings but they will be of different capsule sizes.

Edited with size corrections.

@sovereignsteve what happened with the £5 sov? since you haven't posted about it I'm fearing the worst.

No, it should be OK. They tested it by IRF and it analysed spot on 22ct, so good start.

It arrived today but I wasn't in the receive it, will pick it up tomorrow.

Watch this space.

No, it should be OK. They tested it by IRF and it analysed spot on 22ct, so good start.

It arrived today but I wasn't in the receive it, will pick it up tomorrow.

Watch this space.

Ah ok, well fingers crossed. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Picked up some coins from a pick and mix tray in Hatton garden

1992 10 yuan snow leopard

1993 5 yuan yin/yang

1911 Hong Kong trade dollar

1994 kangaroo

Maple and ase

Tip of the day: if you look at the yin/yang on the floormat of the 5yuan, the yin section is mirrored. If you ever see one where both yin and yang are frosted - pick it up as they go for many hundreds of pounds.

Nice - did you manage to get good prices on them? Is there any particular stores you'd recommend on Hatton Garden? I practically work on the next street, but whenever I wander over all I see is expensive looking stores filled with jewellery which always scared me off a bit!

A tube of 20 quarter ounce 2015 silver Noah's Ark coins from Abbotsilvercoins. Picked them up on the way home from work tonight.

Rookie question, can you share the web address? I am struggling on Google to find them lol. 

Hey Melon. Yes, all coins in the tray were £14 so got some good bargains there (most of the others were royal commemorative etc).

If you work nearby you could definitely pick up some deals but I think it would be a case of checking often (maybe go for a walk lunchtime a few times a week).

The place to go is called the Heart of Hatton Garden. It's got lots of stalls inside. There are a few stalls at the back that often have silver coins tied to the spot price with no regard to collectability ( they don't know anything about coins and buy and sell just for the metal content). I think that could be a fruitful endeavour for you if you persist at it.

The stall in the very back at the left deal a large volume of silver / gold and keep a box or two of silver coins but you have to ask to see them

Edited by DrDime

• Founder & Administrator

@Melon I don't know if they have a website or if it is indeed a business name, but I do know abbotsilvercoins is a member here and had some stuff listed in the trade forums.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Hey Melon. Yes, all coins in the tray were £14 so got some good bargains there (most of the others were royal commemorative etc).

If you work nearby you could definitely pick up some deals but I think it would be a case of checking often (maybe go for a walk lunchtime a few times a week).

The place to go is called the Heart of Hatton Garden. It's got lots of stalls inside. There are a few stalls at the back that often have silver coins tied to the spot price with no regard to collectability ( they don't know anything about coins and buy and sell just for the metal content). I think that could be a fruitful endeavour for you if you persist at it.

The stall in the very back at the left deal a large volume of silver / gold and keep a box or two of silver coins but you have to ask to see them

Awesome, thanks for the really detailed reply. I'm definitely going to check it out, will post if I pick anything up  :)

@Melon I don't know if they have a website or if it is indeed a business name, but I do know abbotsilvercoins is a member here and had some stuff listed in the trade forums.

Ah thanks that makes a lot more sense! I couldn't believe Google had failed me lol

Ah ok, well fingers crossed. 

Well, got it.

Looking good so far. It weighs up OK on my basic balance, I'll take it to work next time I'm in and check it on my analytical balance (0.0001g accuracy and regularly calibrated and certified). Haven't had it under the loupe yet but I'll take a high res picture to look at later.

Just going to see my jeweller friend who'll measure it up accurately for me, I don't have a good caliper set.

It's in pretty good condition as are most of these, as it was rare for these coins to be used in circulation.

So....... :) :) :) :) :wub: