• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Investigation into Historic Coin Pricing by The Royal Mint

On 04/03/2024 at 01:20, Bruce06 said:

I have bought 2 King George V silver coins from RM site when i started collecting numismatic coins years way back.  After a year, i realized i can purchase similar grade ones at 50-60% from markets, a lesson learned and luckily not sky rocket prices were involved.  These 2 coins are still kept by me up to now and remind me the story behind😅.

👍 

I had a call from the RM today from yet another manager (they seem to change frequently!) trying to flog the George III 2 coin premium set.

This has an 1813 Military Guinea and an 1817 Sov both at MS62. Asking price £31,995!

A bit of research from recent auctions shows these at £9k and £7k as optimistic valuations so about 50% of the price of this set.

That equates to a rather expensive wooden box to house them in!

Just now, cjbcomm said:

I had a call from the RM today from yet another manager (they seem to change frequently!) trying to flog the George III 2 coin premium set.

This has an 1813 Military Guinea and an 1817 Sov both at MS62. Asking price £31,995!

A bit of research from recent auctions shows these at £9k and £7k as optimistic valuations so about 50% of the price of this set.

This is concerning.

Were they pressuring you to buy? Did they say it was a good value set?

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

1 minute ago, BackyardBullion said:

This is concerning.

Were they pressuring you to buy? Did they say it was a good value set?

Usual soft sales tactics. Great value... low mintage on the 1813 and not many left...set has been selling well so reserve one while you can.. quality box (sic)... would you like me to reserve on now etc. etc.

Told him to send over details which was just a link to their sales page..... subsequent research shows how poor value this really is.

I haven't replied to the chap yet but will do in due course

Just now, cjbcomm said:

Usual soft sales tactics. Great value... low mintage on the 1813 and not many left...set has been selling well so reserve one while you can.. quality box (sic)... would you like me to reserve on now etc. etc.

Told him to send over details which was just a link to their sales page..... subsequent research shows how poor value this really is.

Thanks for sharing. 

Really concerning. 

37 minutes ago, cjbcomm said:

31 minutes ago, cjbcomm said:

Same tactic's used on my friend by the mail order mint. It's quite shocking really and another example of price gouging. I typed the term in to bing search and this came up.

United Kingdom Laws and regulations in the United Kingdom do not use the phrase “price gouging” in consumer protection regulation but are similar to U.S. laws. Chapter II of the UK Competition Act 1998 prohibits businesses with market dominance from engaging in "abusive" conduct, including "unfair" pricing.
image.png.30dcca995db2a4ff80ec3c60a52a16fe.png
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging
sounds close to the mark to me. 

13 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Same tactic's used on my friend by the mail order mint. It's quite shocking really and another example of price gouging. I typed the term in to bing search and this came up.

United Kingdom Laws and regulations in the United Kingdom do not use the phrase “price gouging” in consumer protection regulation but are similar to U.S. laws. Chapter II of the UK Competition Act 1998 prohibits businesses with market dominance from engaging in "abusive" conduct, including "unfair" pricing.
image.png.30dcca995db2a4ff80ec3c60a52a16fe.png
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging
sounds close to the mark to me. 

You could be right but certainly profiteering to the extreme

I wonder how these pushers get paid. Percentage bonus perhaps?

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

1 minute ago, Earthmetal said:

Probably. Seems to be enough of them so no wonder their prices are ludicrous 

1 minute ago, Earthmetal said:

I suspect they have OTE (on target earnings) 

So rather than a % of the sale they make they would need to achieve certain thresholds for those bonuses to apply

Just now, BackyardBullion said:

I suspect they have OTE (on target earnings) 

So rather than a % of the sale they make they would need to achieve certain thresholds for those bonuses to apply

maybe they'll explain it all to you on your call 😉

1 minute ago, BackyardBullion said:

Well, I had the call. 

I will be sharing much more in due course. To quickly summarise for those following. 

Some good things and some good feedback to share.

But, also a little bit of "everthing is fine" in some areas. 

I don't quite know what/how to think about everthing right now, I am still digesting it all. 

Great work mate, look forward to hearing about it

3 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Well, I had the call. 

I will be sharing much more in due course. To quickly summarise for those following. 

I don't quite know what/how to think about everthing right now, I am still digesting it all. 

I'm glad to hear it went ahead, and there was some good feedback at least. I look forward to the video on it.

If your p*ss was not already at boiling point, take a gander at this horrific* offering:

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/coin-sets/thomas-simon-premium-exclusive-set/

Seems they didn’t listen to a word you said. 

*you read correctly. It is not ‘historic’ it is horrific.

Edited by AndrewSL76

Just now, AndrewSL76 said:

If your p*ss was not already at boiling point, take a gander at this horrific* offering:

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/coin-sets/thomas-simon-premium-exclusive-set/?utm_campaign=2024-03-col-premium-exclusives&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=297223811&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8BDHj4qL80zbI_KzQfSlKpPSYppVy_NpurGyniw3vj2SljaWK9o6xyYcGp2UOXqTQMRHGJnxD7yAklxjgVCdI1WsSUIQ&utm_content=297223810&utm_source=hs_email

I would guess that for £200k you can get better value buying directly. 

Difficult one for me to make a video about showing some reference sales though, do you have any?

4 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/coin-sets/thomas-simon-premium-exclusive-set/

😮limited edition!😂 great looking coins .. but….🤔🤔😳

6 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Difficult one for me to make a video about showing some reference sales though, do you have any?

I find these super premium sets less objectionable than the lower value carded ‘horrific value sets’. If you have £200k to mis spend with them, then good luck to you and I don’t really care if you don’t have the time to research (or pay someone to).  

It’s the everyday chappie that’s being swindled that annoys me. Having said that .. if it’s mis sold as some sort of pension scheme (not that I think this is happening) then that’s worse. 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

4 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

References for the 1660 broad will be difficult give how rare it is, but there have been plenty of the others sold. You could get the Crown for less than £10k. The 1656 Broad would be about £50k. Need to check Heritage for results but that’s a ball park. I would say with some time you could get Alun to make a box, source the coins and grade them for (probably) a lot less than £140k.

3 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

I find these super premium sets less objectionable than the lower value carded ‘horrific value sets’. If you have £200k to mis spend with them, then good luck to you and I don’t really care if you don’t have the time to research (or pay someone to).  

It’s the everyday chappie that’s being swindled that annoys me. Having said that .. if it’s mis sold as some sort of pension scheme (not that I think this is happening) then that’s worse. 

I agree with all of this. And my inner communist would say to the Royal Mint to continue fleecing the rich and reduce the premiums on the affordable coins, but that would just result in the rich buying everything. It’s only because they charge such ridiculous premiums that everything is still for sale. 

Surprised more people don’t put two or three coins together and charge a premium 🤔 obviously the cheap one recently was the Elizabeth and Charles Britannias being put in those twin capsules… seemed very popular 🤔Pity the mint seems to take the mickey.

On 06/03/2024 at 22:29, BackyardBullion said:

Well, I had the call. 

Do their marketing people really believe this? And live in a cave seeing the world through spreadsheets?  I think so. 

PS Royal Mint. Your ‘data’ is a lagging indicator. Wake up!

but I suppose no upper manager wants to hear this. 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

They make Arthur Daley look like a honest broker!

I bet they hire people to go on on ebay and buys up a lot of low end stuff and then flog them off at 10 times the price on their website.

Edited by Taikonaut