• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Another disappointment from Royal Mint

I received a 2oz proof silver "6 Decades of 007 - 1970's" last weekend, about 2 months after ordering it.  Unfortunately, it had a lot of small impacts and fine scratches, just visible to the naked eye.

These are microscope shots.  I didn't open the capsule; the out-of-focus marks are on the capsule rather than the coin, but it's easy to tell the difference.

The microscope obviously makes them look worse than with the naked eye, or even a loupe, but I still would expect better.  There's no way I'd grade it - I'd expect to get 67-68 at best.

I kept the capsule closed so there's no way they could say I caused the marks.

I assume I am not being over sensitive in wanting to return this.

WIN_20240126_11_12_52_Pro.thumb.jpg.3718e6852b59a89076e35bd25d333366.jpg

WIN_20240126_11_12_12_Pro.thumb.jpg.a426f4b5e98f1edb9434b605ed6d7d66.jpg

WIN_20240126_11_12_44_Pro.thumb.jpg.df5381958175ccc2253f2513e138badc.jpg

WIN_20240126_11_12_48_Pro.thumb.jpg.c84a509af1a3bfe47daae7cb839a443e.jpg

WIN_20240126_11_10_57_Pro.thumb.jpg.e09cdbf46913d663b70c4360de66f117.jpg

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

I’d just return it for a replacement.

If you complain in any shape or form, they’re not listening. They have some very nice designs but Quality control is atrocious n top of the Milking issues.

I’m at a 50% yield with RM Proofs. A sad reality with them, if this was a private company, they’d be some serious shake ups.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

I've only ever bought one proof coin brand new and I returned it because it was damaged.  What is the point of paying proof prices for bullion quality?  I'd return it for a full refund including any delivery and return charges then buy a bullion one instead.  But that's just me 😂

You can return regardless, covered under distance selling, I have returned more to them than I have kept in the past few years.  It got that frustrating I stopped buying silver from them at the start of 2023 and sold the partial sets I had :( 

4 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

I received a 2oz proof silver "6 Decades of 007 - 1970's" last weekend, about 2 months after ordering it.  Unfortunately, it had a lot of small impacts and fine scratches, just visible to the naked eye.

These are microscope shots.  I didn't open the capsule; the out-of-focus marks are on the capsule rather than the coin, but it's easy to tell the difference.

The microscope obviously makes them look worse than with the naked eye, or even a loupe, but I still would expect better.  There's no way I'd grade it - I'd expect to get 67-68 at best.

I kept the capsule closed so there's no way they could say I caused the marks.

I assume I am not being over sensitive in wanting to return this.

WIN_20240126_11_12_52_Pro.thumb.jpg.3718e6852b59a89076e35bd25d333366.jpg

WIN_20240126_11_12_12_Pro.thumb.jpg.a426f4b5e98f1edb9434b605ed6d7d66.jpg

WIN_20240126_11_12_44_Pro.thumb.jpg.df5381958175ccc2253f2513e138badc.jpg

WIN_20240126_11_12_48_Pro.thumb.jpg.c84a509af1a3bfe47daae7cb839a443e.jpg

WIN_20240126_11_10_57_Pro.thumb.jpg.e09cdbf46913d663b70c4360de66f117.jpg

You, all the perfectionists, are pushing too hard your expectations! 

On NGC grading standards, a PF70 is judged under x 5 magnification.

In your picture I can only guess, but I think it is at last 20 times more than NGC standards.

What do you expect? To see a shiny perfect mirror surface with extra sharp lines on letters if you look closer and closer? 

Have a look at microscope your coin and definitely should be sent back, it's hideous!

Jeeeez!

image.png.71f09cd20ed7e8ab0bc77fc2e4a47b94.png

Screenshot_20240207-233304.thumb.png.2e3ff6cc4130e371c96cc5550684b367.png

16 minutes ago, stefffana said:

In your picture I can only guess, but I think it is at last 20 times more than NGC standards.

What do you expect? To see a shiny perfect mirror surface with extra sharp lines on letters if you look closer and closer? 

Most of those scratches seen on the 2 oz coin will be visible with the naked eye

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Most of those scratches seen on the 2 oz coin will be visible with the naked eye

I really dont think these are scratched. 

Can be dust, microfibre from gloves...

Screenshot_20240208-000028.png

Screenshot_20240208-000016.png

12 hours ago, NGMD said:

I’d just return it for a replacement.

If you complain in any shape or form, they’re not listening. They have some very nice designs but Quality control is atrocious n top of the Milking issues.

I’m at a 50% yield with RM Proofs. A sad reality with them, if this was a private company, they’d be some serious shake ups.

Agreed. I'm not bothering to complain. But they do ask why you return it and for a description, which I give.  I am a believer in feedback.

11 hours ago, Orpster said:

You can return regardless, covered under distance selling

I know I can return. Just whether I should (which has been answered thanks).

10 hours ago, SiCole said:

Back she goes. When your paying £200+ for £35 of metal it needs to be almost perfect.

Strong agree.

8 hours ago, stefffana said:

Big difference between perfection and visible scratches. As I stated, these are visible to the naked eye, especially the 'bullet hole' that looks like an extra full stop.

I have kept most things from RM, and when graded, they were all 69 or 70. I am not a perfectionist, otherwise I would return everything. But I will return things that I can see flaws in with my own eyes, when I bought them new.

I don't use the microscope to look for flaws. I used it here to share pictures. Otherwise you wouldn't know what I was talking about.

8 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Yes.

8 hours ago, stefffana said:

I really dont think these are scratched. 

Can be dust, microfibre from gloves...

Screenshot_20240208-000028.png

Screenshot_20240208-000016.png

They are scratches or some other fault in the surface. They are not dust.

8 hours ago, Spyder said:

I would never buy a proof direct from the Mint. Wait and buy in the secondary market. You get to see the coin you are buying. If one is lucky could even be cheaper.

You hardly ever get to see the coin in enough detail, and seller descriptions are often insufficient (to be generous).

I generally only buy directly from RM coins that are not going to come up very often, or that are obviously going to be very desirable.

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

12 hours ago, PhilOdgny said:

I've only ever bought one proof coin brand new and I returned it because it was damaged.  What is the point of paying proof prices for bullion quality?  I'd return it for a full refund including any delivery and return charges then buy a bullion one instead.  But that's just me 😂

I was going to buy the bullion versions as well. 🤣

Although I didn't know they were doing them for these until I'd started on the proofs.

2 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Agreed. I'm not bothering to complain. But they do ask why you return it and for a description, which I give.  I am a believer in feedback.

I know I can return. Just whether I should (which has been answered thanks).

Strong agree.

Big difference between perfection and visible scratches. As I stated, these are visible to the naked eye, especially the 'bullet hole' that looks like an extra full stop.

I have kept most things from RM, and when graded, they were all 69 or 70. I am not a perfectionist, otherwise I would return everything. But I will return things that I can see flaws in with my own eyes, when I bought them new.

I don't use the microscope to look for flaws. I used it here to share pictures. Otherwise you wouldn't know what I was talking about.

Yes.

They are scratches or some other fault in the surface. They are not dust.

You hardly ever get to see the coin in enough detail, and seller descriptions are often insufficient (to be generous).

I generally only buy directly from RM coins that are not going to come up very often, or that are obviously going to be very desirable.

👌

I have never had any issues with my purchases so far.

A good polish with Goddards cloth and any tiny scratch can be removed from my coins spoons.

Just sayin'...😊

Just think, it could be worse!

I got so fed up with not just issues like these (most of them much worse to be fair), but also the way they dealt with it - replacing coins with even worse ones, insisting I returned entire sets that contained one bad coin and then sending back a different set with 2-3 bad coins in it, and finally doubling down and insisting multiple times that a proof sovereign with a scratch visible at arm's length was perfectly acceptable and that they would not replace it! And that was after taking it to the top.

I ended up having an IRL meeting with their head of production, sales, quality etc near the end of last year. They agreed that the scratched sovereign did not meet their standards.

I'd made a YouTube video about some of the poor quality sets I'd received, and I was surprised to find that they had made everyone in the factory watch it. I had high hopes after that meeting - they really seemed to care about their products, acknowledged that they'd let me down, and wanted me to give them another chance. I made it clear that 10% off my next order wasn't going to cut the mustard this time, so they arranged to send me a 2023 silver proof definitive set for free.

Considering the circumstances of everything that had led up to this free gift, you'd have thought they'd have actually checked it was acceptable quality before sending it to me...

image.png?ex=65cdf6b8&is=65bb81b8&hm=46957d507585199f16fe85d4b0564d2c75e510f6d10931caf7e0fc42fd737b52&=

image.png?ex=65cdf6a3&is=65bb81a3&hm=32b828733188b55ab033ed2621a9c485903a5759e6d19d501ece2b02f319b80f&=

3 minutes ago, SovereignBull said:

Received today! Unbelievably poor quality! 

arrived in a card envelope with no plastic cover. The card isn’t sealed properly and is peeling away from the edge! For £100 for 1/40th oz I expect everything to be superb, it isn’t!

IMG_4113.jpeg

IMG_4112.jpeg

At £4k an ounce, not great.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip