• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns won on auction Fake or not

Hello Members 

I need an expert eye on these two Melbourne Sovereigns. These were won from an online auction house and received today.  These coins were bid on to fill missing years and not for sale.

To me there something that does not look correct. The strike looks weak from photos taken with different light settings. The 1914m, right foot  and hand seems strange and part missing. 

What do others think? 

I should say both coins pass the sigma test and are correct weight and dimensions. 

Spyder 

1914-15M Sov 1.jpg

1914-15M Sov 2.jpg

1914-15M Sov 3.jpg

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

6 minutes ago, Petra said:

Not too sure, have you not got ones you can sit side by side and compare? If weight and dimensions are ok then surely should be ok?🤔

Do not have the same dated sovereigns from the M mint, so can not check side by side. I know that some of the Australian coins were weakly struck. Will check online for a same dated coins from M mint.

Not to cause alarm just some observations...

From the final pic a quick look on my phone these 3 things first stood out to the left coin 

It looks quite shiny on your bottom picture

1... What is that in my green circle? 

Maybe just fluff on the coin?

2... The M mintmark looks quite big? On my photos I often struggle to get the mint marks to show clearly 

3...The riders hand in my red circle seems to be missing the 2 fingers and the blob on the horses neck looks a bit odd but could be the photo quality or wear perhaps ?signal-2024-01-24-19-20-52-481.thumb.jpg.ea4f9087f4577798a743217efabce875.jpg

1 hour ago, modofantasma said:

Not to cause alarm just some observations...

From the final pic a quick look on my phone these 3 things first stood out to the left coin 

It looks quite shiny on your bottom picture

1... What is that in my green circle? 

Maybe just fluff on the coin?

2... The M mintmark looks quite big? On my photos I often struggle to get the mint marks to show clearly 

3...The riders hand in my red circle seems to be missing the 2 fingers and the blob on the horses neck looks a bit odd but could be the photo quality or wear perhaps ?signal-2024-01-24-19-20-52-481.thumb.jpg.ea4f9087f4577798a743217efabce875.jpg

Thanks for your input. I have taken another photo of the 1914m.  Passed the coin under some hot water. That mark near the horse knee joint is now gone. Just some dirt and angle of photo. 

Thank you to everyone who gave their opinion, this is why this forum is so great as there are so many eyes to view what others might not see or notice.

1914m Sov 1.jpg

Edited by Spyder

26 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Thanks for your input. I have taken another photo of the 1914m.  Passed the coin under some hot water. That mark near the horse knee joint is now gone. Just some dirt and angle of photo. 

Thank you to everyone who gave their opinion, this is why this forum is so great as some so many eyes to view what others might not see or notice.

1914m Sov 1.jpg

It looks better on that photo 

27 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Thank you to everyone who gave their opinion, this is why this forum is so great as some so many eyes to view what others might not see or notice.

1914m Sov 1.jpg

Looking great😮

There isn’t anything wrong with them.

Australian sovereigns have a much weaker strike than their ‘London’ counterparts.

Just wait until you look at an early George V London mint sovereign and compare it to an early 1930’s Australian Minted sovereign.

Genuine imo. And those wear and tear dings look very genuinely 'Oh noe I've bashed my gold coin and now its edge is dented' but only in the way an authentic gold coin dings so that's ok. And in a 100 years they'll be wondering if my coin is real lol, or forsooth or whatever they were lolling a hundred years ago.