• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 Coronation One Ounce Gold Proof

On 20/01/2024 at 09:26, Paul said:

It was made made just for the USA market sadly and sold with even bigger premium.

I wonder if you have a bit more information about this, do you know who originally distributed it state-side and how much the original price was? I would be really interested to know since I've fallen down this rabbit hole.

2 minutes ago, Kitalon said:

I wonder if you have a bit more information about this, do you know who originally distributed it state-side and how much the original price was? I would be really interested to know since I've fallen down this rabbit hole.

Earl @westminstrel popped up the link to govmint for to directly buy no price was shown - as had to call up 

m'thinks it hasnt sold out stateside and now at premium so they sold off back what's left to dealers ?

8 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Bud  you already have someone here that can already get anything that comes out of the mint!  

I do apologise I didn't mean to tread on any toes. It was just a passing comment to the fella in case he wished to join the best bullion and coin collectors forum on the interwebs. It may be that he may never come along, he seems like a very busy man and is already doing very well in his existing marketplaces. I don't know if he's more geared towards the 2nd hand market than directly supplied by the mint. His other business certainly seems more geared towards numismatics. I originally enquired about the coin and he said he had 'access' to one went out and came back with two, one of which was reserved for myself. He told me that he'd never even heard of this reverse frosted variant, neither had I until I came here. Mind you I didn't even know the first thing about sovereigns when I arrived. 😆

Edited by Kitalon

7 hours ago, Kitalon said:

7 hours ago, Paul said:

Earl @westminstrel popped up the link to govmint for to directly buy no price was shown - as had to call up 

m'thinks it hasnt sold out stateside and now at premium so they sold off back what's left to dealers ?

If I recall, the price GovMint quoted upon issue was just over USD 6000, so about £4700 equivalent.

It was (imo) an unrealistic price to begin with, because Sovereign Rarities also had a few available at the same time for the more reasonable price of £3250 and then it went up a few days later to £3450 or so. Still very reasonable and fair upon issue because of difficulty sourcing them I imagine.

I can understand prices going up after coins completely sell out at issue, but for dealers like GovMint to price gouge exclusives at issue just seems wrong to me.

I’d be reluctant to recommend GovMint to anyone for that reason, not to mention their customer service, which came across as quite rude and unreasonable (as I said, they took the time to reply to my email but insisted I make an international call just to find out the price; how stupid is that!)

As for the silver reverse proof, they never told me the price in the end, because by the time we went back and forth over email with them insisting I provide my mailing address, contact details and tell them how many coins I want, the coins sold out. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

This is why I respect  @SovereignRarities and will vouch for them any day; the people are also really really amazing to deal with.

On 31/01/2024 at 23:59, westminstrel said:

If I recall, the price GovMint quoted upon issue was just over USD 6000, so about £4700 equivalent.

It was (imo) an unrealistic price to begin with, because Sovereign Rarities also had a few available at the same time for the more reasonable price of £3250 and then it went up a few days later to £3450 or so. Still very reasonable and fair upon issue because of difficulty sourcing them I imagine.

I can understand prices going up after coins completely sell out at issue, but for dealers like GovMint to price gouge exclusives at issue just seems wrong to me.

I’d be reluctant to recommend GovMint to anyone for that reason, not to mention their customer service, which came across as quite rude and unreasonable (as I said, they took the time to reply to my email but insisted I make an international call just to find out the price; how stupid is that!)

As for the silver reverse proof, they never told me the price in the end, because by the time we went back and forth over email with them insisting I provide my mailing address, contact details and tell them how many coins I want, the coins sold out. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

This is why I respect  @SovereignRarities and will vouch for them any day; the people are also really really amazing to deal with.

Based upon what you had said about them, I had reached out and they were very nice to deal with. 

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

They will ALWAYS have a historical significance, the Coronation will only happen once in a monarchs reign and given that and very small mintages for the gold, it is the sort of coin that would only get sold in case of a dire emergency, not one to be routinely flipped out. 

i.e. A krugerrand would be sold sold out to replace the boiler, not this one    

I would assume that those holding the gold, most wont have any plans to sell on and will be holding for the long term if they are true collectors

I would personally try to get one of each if budget allows over the next year or two.  Once you have both together especially if both in PF70 plastic coffins.  In a few decades time in a "premier" auction sale, sold at as pair would appeal to those with big pockets  

A fair point but I actually just liked the design and having it slabbed means I can look at it. Simple I be.😁

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

They will ALWAYS have a historical significance, the Coronation will only happen once in a monarchs reign and given that and very small mintages for the gold, it is the sort of coin that would only get sold in case of a dire emergency, not one to be routinely flipped out. 

i.e. A krugerrand would be sold sold out to replace the boiler, not this one    

I would assume that those holding the gold, most wont have any plans to sell on and will be holding for the long term if they are true collectors

I would personally try to get one of each if budget allows over the next year or two.  Once you have both together especially if both in PF70 plastic coffins.  In a few decades time in a "premier" auction sale, sold at as pair would appeal to those with big pockets  

Spot on

Not my circus, not my monkeys

On 31/01/2024 at 16:24, Kitalon said:

I do apologise I didn't mean to tread on any toes. It was just a passing comment to the fella in case he wished to join the best bullion and coin collectors forum on the interwebs. It may be that he may never come along, he seems like a very busy man and is already doing very well in his existing marketplaces. I don't know if he's more geared towards the 2nd hand market than directly supplied by the mint. His other business certainly seems more geared towards numismatics. I originally enquired about the coin and he said he had 'access' to one went out and came back with two, one of which was reserved for myself. He told me that he'd never even heard of this reverse frosted variant, neither had I until I came here. Mind you I didn't even know the first thing about sovereigns when I arrived. 😆

Mate there’s no worries there’s plenty of business for everyone!……. Hope to do some business with you sometime.  

42 minutes ago, SiCole said:

A raw one went for £3150 recently but cant say on graded ones as i wouldn't mind one myself.

Soooo tempted with a Grading comment. Just ‘Bump’ then😁

-Royal Mint 2024

4 hours ago, dicker said:

I have thought about this thread a bit.

Long term a good investment in my view.  What would be a better investment is to have both the US and U.K. varieties.  I suspect in 20 years they would sell well at auction as a pair, especially given the mintages and that a chunk won’t really be in the U.K.

Best

Dicker

Hmm I think we're on the same wavelength I was thinking about this a while back. A can't remember if someone mentioned about getting the pair but I'll definitely keep my eye out for another. 🤔

😉👍

1 hour ago, Kitalon said:

Hmm I think we're on the same wavelength I was thinking about this a while back. A can't remember if someone mentioned about getting the pair but I'll definitely keep my eye out for another. 🤔

😉👍

;)

6 hours ago, NGMD said:

Based upon what you had said about them, I had reached out and they were very nice to deal with. 

I went over my emails to refresh my memory before writing that post, and was reminded of how difficult it was to deal with them for a simple query: “what’s the price of this coin?”

So, lucky you for having a better experience than I did. 🙂

4 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I went over my emails to refresh my memory before writing that post, and was reminded of how difficult it was to deal with them for a simple query: “what’s the price of this coin?”

So, lucky you for having a better experience than I did. 🙂

I meant Sovereign Rarities. Decent. Looking at a 5 off them.

The other- Nah.

Edited by NGMD

-Royal Mint 2024

3 minutes ago, NGMD said:

I meant Sovereign Rarities. Decent. Looking at a 5 off them.

The other- Nah.

Ah thanks for clarifying.

Indeed, I’ve never had a bad experience with Sovereign Rarities, even for multiple enquiries that didn’t result in me buying anything from them.

9 hours ago, westminstrel said:

These are the MAX mintages from my research:

- 2oz matte proof: 106

- 1oz reverse proof: 200 (this is presentation; not sure about max mintage, someone with the box might know)

- 2oz regular proof: 306

- 1oz regular proof: 685

- 1/4oz regular proof: 1,360

@Paul @GoldDiggerDave @Kitalon

Thanks for your hard work mate!