• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What’s a COA worth?

So over the weekend I purchased a proof 4 coin sovereign set from a large online dealer. 
received an email from them saying there’s an issue with my purchase, so I’ve called them up thinking the worst. 
turns out the set doesn’t have the original COA in the box, so they offered a full refund or a discount of £126 on the set which I happily accepted. 

is an original COA really worth £126? 

id have been happy with £10 off or free delivery 

Some proof coins come with no CoA. Pre-graded coins which the mint sends straight to NGC then some auction sites, for instance, have boxes but not numbered CoA.

In principle it's just a piece of paper, and it's the coin you're buying, not the certificate. Same applies to grading. But you see the price difference between graded and loose coins. An NGC or PCGS plastic coffin adds more sales value to the coin than the CoA but the little piece provides a sense of completion. If you have OCD then yes, it's worth a lot.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Back in 2019 I used to own a set of 1989 three coin proof sovereign which I ended up selling the coins individually on the forum ,  I also sold the empty box and COA for £45  .

so I think £126 refund for COA is quite generous and sign of an honourable dealer .

Edited by Nick1368

I think the dealer did the right thing. CoA is worth a different price based on the coins and the personal opinion. I’d question buying a second hand set without a coa for instance, even if you can just buy one of eBay. I had a similar issue with a large size platinum bar, where I had to question it with the dealer, they didn’t bring it up to me, but they then offered a good deal on resale which I was happy with. 
what I would say is I don’t know who the dealer was you dealt with but I’d buy from them. Solid service 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

18 hours ago, Thomast said:

So over the weekend I purchased a proof 4 coin sovereign set from a large online dealer. 
received an email from them saying there’s an issue with my purchase, so I’ve called them up thinking the worst. 
turns out the set doesn’t have the original COA in the box, so they offered a full refund or a discount of £126 on the set which I happily accepted. 

is an original COA really worth £126? 

id have been happy with £10 off or free delivery 

Cracking deal, keep your eyes open on eBay for one, I bought a 1/10th Proof gold Britannia from a forum member last week all in original RM packaging with no COA, I got the original COA on eBay for a fiver 👍🏻

IMG_8741.png

Edited by Sovhead
Typo

25 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

There are definitely (NGC) graded sets, labelled as such. I'm just unsure if a box/CoA is required for this.

Example from Ebay:

800.jpg.dd889923aa991265780ab84fca751384.jpg

Early doors with the memorial gradings the COA wasn't needed. I don't think many people (myself included) knew or wanted them putting them as a set when/if they get sold down the line.

I think later down the line you did need to send box and COA in but Dave can say better on that. Luckily they stopped the set on the label for the coronations. They just decided to give everyone 69's instead so swings and roundabouts. 

2 minutes ago, SiCole said:

Early doors with the memorial gradings the COA wasn't needed. I don't think many people (myself included) knew or wanted them putting them as a set when/if they get sold down the line.

I think later down the line you did need to send box and COA in but Dave can say better on that. Luckily they stopped the set on the label for the coronations. They just decided to give everyone 69's instead so swings and roundabouts. 

I thought I remembered this being mentioned by Dave.

I wonder if it is required for older sets now too? If so, it makes having the CoA a must (assuming you want the set label).

34 minutes ago, SiCole said:

69’s are now 70’s with my magic 🤗

Also @Darr3nG submitting coins as a set could potentially have a negative effect if you split and sell the set, and or the other issue if the coins in the set you grade don’t all get the same grade you wanted, so swapping them out will mix the sets up. 

Same for first release, getting a mixed result means you are shopping around to buy other  FR for the set 

2 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Also @Darr3nG submitting coins as a set could potentially have a negative effect if you split and sell the set, and or the other issue if the coins in the set you grade don’t all get the same grade you wanted, so swapping them out will mix the sets up. 

Same for first release, getting a mixed result means you are shopping around to buy other  FR for the set 

Totally agree - as you well know, I always opt for the standard/traditional labels on my graded coins, for just this reason. :) 

Anyway, this thread is about CoA's and their value, so we're saying that they do have some importance for grading sets, but not all...

40 minutes ago, jason94151 said:

I wonder what about hand signed COA, like the SOTD sovereigns.

Depends on who signs it I suppose.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

6 hours ago, jason94151 said:

Oh now I'm wondering whose signature coa is worth collecting, or is this more what postion that signs the coa?

If the His Majesty signs it himself it will be very much worth collecting. Or you could get, say, Elton John to sign the Elton John coins. 

Portraits with authentic signatures and hand-written letters go on the collectable market and do quite well.