• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bullion being sold at insane prices on the Highstreet in the UK, who is buying it?

18 minutes ago, iacabu said:I think a lot of purchases will be from the less scrupulous individuals who hold large amounts of cash and want to convert it. This was also agreed when I was chatting with a local jeweller I buy from. 

I understand shops have large overheads to cover and can't just get by on making a tenner, but it still leaves the question as to who buys it. 

That's interesting to hear, personally I don't think this is the case since you never hear about precious metals being seized during these raids and from knowing quite a bit about that world growing up around those sorts of people they are almost all extremely stingy with money and won't overpay if it can be avoided so they just would outright refuse to overpay after comparing prices online where they could still buy and then claim they sold it or use a third party to order on their behalf which is something these people do a lot when making large purchases like a car. Bitcoin also rapidly became the vehicle for discreetly storing wealth in those circles so even the old practice of having jewellery that could be pawned in an emergency died out. 

From what I observed it seemed like there are older people who trust the shop because there is always a person available (ironic since the prices are so inflate) and buy mostly metals to pawn a few years down the line should they need cash using it like a savings account except the appreciation is almost non existent if they aren't holding for over 5 years or in case of the platinum even if the price doubled they would still only be breaking even.

I want to hang out there and figure this mystery out but they probably don't want me hanging around!

I know someone who worked at H&T for a short time and am as puzzled by their pricing as you. I also know the rates they paid for 9ct, 18ct and 22ct at the time (this was two years ago). (they paid the same for 24ct as 22ct). Absolute top whack they'd pay on 22ct was about £30 a gram and this when spot was mid to high £40s. Essentially if your coin or jewellery was in excellent condition you'd get scrap value, otherwise you'd get less. The rates didn't change regularly so it wasn't adjusting to the market. Silver was always 25p a gram. 

He said there is high staff turnover and they get minimum wage. Testing is the acid kind as that's all the have in store so will be destructive, so only encourages poor condition items or desperate sellers who need cash instantly. Maybe that is factored into their pricing 

Edited by Blockhead

46 minutes ago, Petra said:

Possibly you should think about the people who are selling to these places!? Getting ripped off and don’t have a clue as to where else to go🤔😮🫣

Very true, Petra and very sad!

Over 90% of people have not another options to sell their goods and the pawn shops and jewellers are taking advantage.

The pawn shops round here have the same stuff in the windows for ages, they must be making money from somewhere? The one here that often has small gold bars in the window usually see them go pretty quick as they are well priced, unlike their coins, or when you go in, their silver Britannias! The only place I have seen them more is an advert seen today on tv for the first time wanting £40 for a sliver Britannia!🤔

15 minutes ago, Petra said:

The pawn shops round here have the same stuff in the windows for ages, they must be making money from somewhere? The one here that often has small gold bars in the window usually see them go pretty quick as they are well priced, unlike their coins, or when you go in, their silver Britannias! The only place I have seen them more is an advert seen today on tv for the first time wanting £40 for a sliver Britannia!🤔

what does one of those places pay per gram for scrap gold mate?they probably make a good profit buying cheap and selling on to a bigger dealer

I'm alright, Jack, Keep your hands off of my stack

Loads of people simply see then buy without any real thought.  It’s not inexpensive items, it extends to cars and brash consumer goods.

I’m sure it’s not just me that has friends that pay full whack at car dealerships and are thrilled to get a set of mats and a t shirt….

Not my circus, not my monkeys

What would you consider a good price for a shield sovereign these days?

I'd only consider spending £500 on a pre-Victoria, an 1840s shield sovereign, or a higher grade 1850s. No way on earth I'd spend £500 on a St George or even shields from 1860 onwards.

3 hours ago, SidS said:

What would you consider a good price for a shield sovereign these days?

I'd only consider spending £500 on a pre-Victoria, an 1840s shield sovereign, or a higher grade 1850s. No way on earth I'd spend £500 on a St George or even shields from 1860 onwards.

😮😮🤔best you not come shopping round here!🤔

On 01/10/2023 at 12:12, BLOOMMAN101 said:

Not saying this is the answer but always something to keep in mind , I think we will all be guilty of this when/if we decide to sell

Greater fool theory

Thanks for this comment, we see this behaviour with equities all of the time but with metals its so much easier to understand their value that I thought it would stop businesses getting away with charging these sort of insane prices.

I guess the answer is that people assume that they are paying a fair price based on assumption.

On 01/10/2023 at 10:25, iacabu said:

I too have wondered the same.

I asked at a local pawn broker to me (Nathan and Co), they buy in sovs at ~£300 (spot £360ish at the time) and sell for £500!

I think a lot of purchases will be from the less scrupulous individuals who hold large amounts of cash and want to convert it. This was also agreed when I was chatting with a local jeweller I buy from. 

I understand shops have large overheads to cover and can't just get by on making a tenner, but it still leaves the question as to who buys it. 

My business mind is that I would rather keep stock moving and sell at a more reasonable price in order to buy the next item, rather than have a £500 sovereign sat in the window for months. 

This was my first thought. Effectively washing the proceeds of "illegal" activities

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

• 2 weeks later...

I was excited to start the day as I had a number of bids in for various items ending today. As with most auctions I've bid on, it was short lived...the hammer prices are crazy. 

For example, £330 for a run of the mill 1913 Sovereign. Make that £432 with fees plus delivery on top (£20 from this particular auction house, unless collecting in person). 

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

3 minutes ago, iacabu said:

I was excited to start the day as I had a number of bids in for various items ending today. As with most auctions I've bid on, it was short lived...the hammer prices are crazy. 

For example, £330 for a run of the mill 1913 Sovereign. Make that £432 with fees plus delivery on top (£20 from this particular auction house, unless collecting in person). 

Most sovereigns I see for sale (other than at the bullion dealers) are north of £390, most in the £400s.

Well someone is buying! Saying that, local to me, some of the stuff is in the window a long time. One has a small gold coin in for £115, they tried to tell me it was a 1/4 sovereign, it isn’t, been in the window a month.

another shop actually has silver coins displayed inside, however, unless you want to pay £40 for a 1oz silver Britannia, they seem to be sitting for a while!