• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Information. What is the 2nd most popular silver 1oz coin bought

Spyder

Hello

I am trying to work out what is the 2nd most bought 1oz silver coins after the Royal Mint Britannia. 

I am in the process of working on a double 1oz gauge and so would like it to work on two different mint coins.

From early research the 1oz Krugerrand is 2nd and 3rd is the Maple. 

Do members agree that the Krugerrand should be on the gauge.

Will return later to see if anyone has replied. 

Thanks in advance

Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

as paul mentioned above - depends where you are talking about.

heres my tuppence worldwide guess

Silver Eagle

Maple

Panda ( only cause of the chinese )

Brit

Kangaroo

Generic Rounds may come into the top five if you add them all together but thats cheating!  Also Libertads may sneak in as the yanks may buy a lot of them

Uk

Brit

Maple

Roo

Silver Eagle

Krug

Thanks for everyone who has replied.  I am looking at what is the most bought by forum members.  Having spoke to one of the biggest seller on the forum, 90% are Britannia followed by Krugerrand, and Maples.  Eagles do not feature in the top three. 

Regarding a gauge, it would be for modern Britannia and and another coin. I always thought that the second would have been the Eagle, but maybe due to the high cost to purchase now, very few are buying them.   

4 minutes ago, MickB said:

Whatever between the silver maple and ASE has the largest mintage figures I'd say is the 2nd most popular.

Worldwide that might be correct, but I do not think that is what is happening on this forum. 

6 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Worldwide that might be correct, but I do not think that is what is happening on this forum. 

Ever since cgt allowance lowered and will again next year, it'll probably change again.

44 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Thanks for everyone who has replied.  I am looking at what is the most bought by forum members.  Having spoke to one of the biggest seller on the forum, 90% are Britannia followed by Krugerrand, and Maples.  Eagles do not feature in the top three. 

Regarding a gauge, it would be for modern Britannia and and another coin. I always thought that the second would have been the Eagle, but maybe due to the high cost to purchase now, very few are buying them.   

The premiums on ASEs are outrageous so that likely plays into it. They are finally coming down a bit so I may eventually get some but I’m American and still prefer Britannias. 

Libertads are in a similar boat with stratospheric premiums though they have far lower mintages so it makes more sense. They are also the first true silver bullion coin I believe so there is a history behind them that adds to the collectability.  And they are beautiful, especially the older series. 

I love Krugerrands but the silver ones are hard to find here at my LCS.  I have bought online though as I like them. Britannias and Maples are much more common at my LCS. 

Are you trying to make something like that can be used for full and half sovereigns? I take it you taken the measurements for the popular silver one ounce coins? If you are making something from a printer, why not make different ones? One that can measure two types .. a Britannia and an another? 🤔🤔

3 hours ago, Petra said:

Are you trying to make something like that can be used for full and half sovereigns? I take it you taken the measurements for the popular silver one ounce coins? If you are making something from a printer, why not make different ones? One that can measure two types .. a Britannia and an another? 🤔🤔

That is exactly what I want to do, a double 1oz gauge with the two most bought coins. Top will be a Royal Mint Silver 1oz and bottom will be the 2nd most bought.  I have a special design, just need to know the 2nd coin.

Maybe you need to change the desing to acomodate 5 type of coins

From orizontal to vertical like a old CD rack?

51utIC1ks1L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Like Post OPffice letter size check but one on the top of each other?

img-7905-copy.png

Edited by theman73

More silver coins on my website

dancu.co.uk

On TSF where there are more members from the UK, I suspect the silver Britannia would be the most popular followed by the silver Maple Leaf.

The 1oz silver Maple Leaf was first introduced back in 1988 and has been mass produced and sold at a low premium. So any seasoned stackers will have a number of these in their collection.

By comparison, the silver Krugerrand is very much a new kid on the block, first introduced back in 2017 albeit a premium edition.  

So my vote is Britannia then Maple. Final answer !

Personal preference 

Maple

Philharmonics 

Krugerrands 

ASE

Panda

Britannia looks like a cheap and bad quality knock off compared with other major coins, of course they are selling well here but I never understand why.

Edited by theman73

dancu.co.uk

I think I have decided that after all the comments, that the second coin will be the Maple.  What swayed the Maple was that the Canadian Mint makes so many wild series and from my understandings are the same sizes as a silver maple (just checked one of my maple against one of my cougars).

Thank to all. 

Will update when the final gauge is made.  Believe me, I probably make about ten designs before settling for one.

Edited by Spyder

6 hours ago, Spyder said:

I think I have decided that after all the comments, that the second coin will be the Maple.  What swayed the Maple was that the Canadian Mint makes so many wild series and from my understandings are the same sizes as a silver maple (just checked one of my maple against one of my cougars).

Thank to all. 

Will update when the final gauge is made.  Believe me, I probably make about ten designs before settling for one.

I am sure that it will just as brilliant as your sovereign gauge, look forward to seeing your work 🌞

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).

41 minutes ago, Petra said:

Don’t see too many maples for sale on here?🤔🫢

I have a full box of Maples around 3 weeks ago, if I remember correctly only 65 coins were sold here, rest of them on other platforms, we need to accept reality, there is no strong interest for other types of coins on the forum. 

Britannia or no sale.

dancu.co.uk

11 hours ago, theman73 said:

Personal preference 

Maple

Philharmonics 

Krugerrands 

ASE

Panda

Britannia looks like a cheap and bad quality knock off compared with other major coins, of course they are selling well here but I never understand why.

That's a weird list

The best bullion coin in the world is the Kookaburra. I keep an eye out for Kooks and sometimes they have spots but the majority are spot free, even those that are 33 years old! Some great designs along with Perth Mint quality and relatively low mintage makes them very desirable. The only downside is the more premium price

The Phillies are c**p in silver, I hate the smooth edge and they look cheap to me. Phillies in gold are spectacular though

Krugs in silver for me are not attractive and are often in bad condition. I only own a few

Maples are one of my favourites, the post-2018 ones anyway. I'm not a fan of the obverse (Sigourney Weaver) but the reverse is beautiful. When you look at older Maples a lot of them are heavily spotted and toned. The later ones are the best bullion coin in their price range in terms of production quality. With design the Maple Leaf is nice but gets a bit boring and Sigourney Weaver never fails to disappoint

Pandas are good but in their price range they are up against Kooks and Libertads. I'd take a Kook or Lib over a Panda every time but some of the Pandas are very nice. IME it's more common to find a milky Panda than a milky Kook or Lib. Plus you have the weird Chinese 30g thing 

ASEs? Hmm, tough one. They should be the cheapest bullion due to the high mintage figures but because of the US Mint's failure to meet their legal obligations and unscrupulous official supplier practices, the ASE is hugely overpriced. Like the Britannias they are prone to toning and milking. I like older ASEs that haven't milked. Some proof ASEs are beautiful and in general I like the design of the Eagle and Lady Liberty

With all of those coins part of their attraction in the UK is their relative rarity. The ASEs, Maples, Kooks, Krugs and Pandas depending on your POV, are from former British territories/dominions/colonies

The Britannias. Take away the milking problem from recent Britannias and they're awesome coins. QEII looks good (screw KCIII) and Britannia is a beautiful design. Add to that the world-leading security features and it's a big winner, apart from the milking. You can buy later Britannias with impunity as long as you can see the security features. The earlier Britannias are arguably of higher quality and are favoured amongst collectors. In the UK we get bored of Britannias. They are CGT-free and our national coin so they are ubiquitous. Objectively though if you take away the milking issue the Britannia is the best bullion coin in its price range in the world. Milking is a serious disappointment, the only real downside. 

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative