• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Information. What is the 2nd most popular silver 1oz coin bought

Spyder

Have checked what I have bought in the last months regarding 1oz silver coins, out of 110 oz and not one has been a Britannia. Majority were from US and Canadian Mints.  

I think too many people worry too much about CGT  and thus keep on buying Britannia.  My theory is buy what you like.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

2 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Have checked what I have bought in the last months regarding 1oz silver coins, out of 110 oz and not one has been a Britannia. Majority were from US and Canadian Mints.  

I think too many people worry too much about CGT  and thus keep on buying Britannia.  My theory is buy what you like.

Maples are just the shiniest nicest looking and they have the bonus of having the queen on them. Britannia's are legal tender and recognisable. In a SHTF situation, they would be the most popular here in the UK. I think that makes up the most of the reason for their popularity in my opinion

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

38 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Pandas are good but in their price range they are up against Kooks and Libertads. I'd take a Kook or Lib over a Panda every time but some of the Pandas are very nice. IME it's more common to find a milky Panda than a milky Kook or Lib. Plus you have the weird Chinese 30g thing 

ASEs? Hmm, tough one. They should be the cheapest bullion due to the high mintage figures but because of the US Mint's failure to meet their legal obligations and unscrupulous official supplier practices, the ASE is hugely overpriced. Like the Britannias they are prone to toning and milking. I like older ASEs that haven't milked. Some proof ASEs are beautiful and in general I like the design of the Eagle and Lady Liberty

With all of those coins part of their attraction in the UK is their relative rarity. The ASEs, Maples, Kooks, Krugs and Pandas depending on your POV, are from former British territories/dominions/colonies

The Britannias. Take away the milking problem from recent Britannias and they're awesome coins. QEII looks good (screw KCIII) and Britannia is a beautiful design. Add to that the world-leading security features and it's a big winner, apart from the milking. You can buy later Britannias with impunity as long as you can see the security features. The earlier Britannias are arguably of higher quality and are favoured amongst collectors. In the UK we get bored of Britannias. They are CGT-free and our national coin so they are ubiquitous. Objectively though if you take away the milking issue the Britannia is the best bullion coin in its price range in the world. Milking is a serious disappointment, the only real downside. 

“The ASEs, Maples, Kooks, Krugs and Pandas depending on your POV, are from former British territories/dominions/colonies”

ALMOST right. China was not a colony unless you count Hong Kong but the pandas are decidedly a PRC coin and were minted in China even during the time of British HK. 

Agree that Britannia is a lovely design though. I do quite like the KCIII portrait with the crown on it though the definitive version is kinda bland. 

8 minutes ago, Spyder said:

I try hard to only buy Britannias but:

7tyfte.jpg.5b8ebbc6bbffec4906ff5e05e0b305ab.jpg

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

1 minute ago, Spyder said:

This is my favourite 10oz coin and it is a maple. It is also the first 10oz coin I ever bought in the year it came out and I remember paying £180 for it, so is perfect with no milking.

10oz Silver Maple.jpg

What's not to love about it? They're so crisp and shiny

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

1 minute ago, DTL1982 said:

“The ASEs, Maples, Kooks, Krugs and Pandas depending on your POV, are from former British territories/dominions/colonies”

ALMOST right. China was not a colony unless you count Hong Kong but the pandas are decidedly a PRC coin and were minted in China even during the time of British HK. 

Agree that Britannia is a lovely design though. I do quite like the KCIII portrait with the crown on it though the definitive version is kinda bland. 

We (including the USA) messed them up so bad the Chinese call it, "The Century of Humiliation", which is good enough for me 😁

I have nothing against China, just a little jingoism. You're right though, China was never formally a territory, dominion or colony, but it's clear who was in charge and it wasn't the Chinese! 

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2023 at 19:30, theman73 said:

I have a full box of Maples around 3 weeks ago, if I remember correctly only 65 coins were sold here, rest of them on other platforms, we need to accept reality, there is no strong interest for other types of coins on the forum. 

Britannia or no sale.

I am more than happy to buy other coins as many on this forum knows

Edited by HillWalkerDundee

• 1 month later...

In the final stages of the silver gauge. I have two examples for interested members to leave some feedback on. 

1. Should I go with a three coin that covers most 1oz silver or the two and that cover the most popular. 

2. Thinking of incorporating some form of a silver slide, but this might not be cost effective (decent large magnets are not cheap) and I want to keep them below £18.

Let me know what you think. 

silver gauges.jpg

28 minutes ago, James32 said:

Bottle opener at the end?

I think there would be too much pressure on the plastic.

33 minutes ago, Gordy said:

yep, same here, but a 1oz brit, an eagle and a sov all in one go would be great too

Are you meaning silver Brits and Eagles with the sov or all gold 1oz?

37 minutes ago, Aldebaran said:

I would like to see the three coin variant 🌞

It seems like the three coin variant it will be.  

2 hours ago, theman73 said:

More the merrier 

I am listening

2 hours ago, James32 said:

I'd go with three, the eagle is pretty popular too.

I have coins from different mints and the three coin variant will covers most. 

No one has mention magnet, so without magnets. 

Thank you for everyone who has commented

Just now, Petra said:

Why are you making these? I haven’t heard of fake silver coins that would pass a magnet test but not a size test?😮🤔

if these are around, fair enough, gap in market well spotted.😮🤔

Next step up from the sovereign gauge.  There are many fake silver coins that are being sold. Not here but on ebay etc.  These are no money spinners, just a little bit of fun.  My target is to sell about 20 and move onto something else or not.

4 minutes ago, Gordy said:

yeah, silver brits and eagles with the sov... 

The reason the Maple was number two, was because on the earlier vote, it was proven that that covers more bases and more have been sold than Eagles on this forum

Just now, Spyder said:

The reason the Maple was number two, was because on the earlier vote, it was proven that that covers more bases and more have been sold than Eagles on this forum

one I would go for if they were done would be the three coin one for silver as discussed plus a one for full, 1/2 and 1/4 sovs

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 minute ago, Spyder said:

Next step up from the sovereign gauge.  There are many fake silver coins that are being sold. Not here but on ebay etc.  These are no money spinners, just a little bit of fun.  My target is to sell about 20 and move onto something else or not.

👍(can’t like at moment🤔) good idea, personally very unusual for me to buy bullion on eBay, but there is a market out there!

Just now, Gordy said:

one I would go for if they were done would be the three coin one for silver as discussed plus a one for full, 1/2 and 1/4 sovs

The sovereign and half is already available. I just do not see too many 1/4 sovereigns being sold or faked

Just now, Spyder said:

The sovereign and half is already available. I just do not see too many 1/4 sovereigns being sold or faked

how much?

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.