• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Which sovereigns to buy?

Gruff

Hi Gruff,

I would stick with the older Sovs - Machin and older. It’s a nicer looking coin(gold) and doesn’t look coppery(Modern), and lastly buy whatever has the lowest premium. HGM usually have really good prices from a dealer.. Maybe chards still have the summer sale you could check theirs also.

** I’m no expert, many more knowledgeable people here** 

4 minutes ago, AOB said:

Hi Gruff,

I would stick with the older Sovs - Machin and older. It’s a nicer looking coin(gold) and doesn’t look coppery(Modern), and lastly buy whatever has the lowest premium. HGM usually have really good prices from a dealer.. Maybe chards still have the summer sale you could check theirs also.

** I’m no expert, many more knowledgeable people here** 

Thanks AOB. I'll do some research. 

Hopefully others will chime in. I'm a complete noob when it comes to sovs. Literally know nothing about them.

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

Yes see best value Sov link from dealers such as chards, seems HGM are out of stock:

https://www.chards.co.uk/gold-bullion-sovereigns-secondary-market/1990

Secondly you could ask the likes of @1stsovereign has always stock of sovereigns.
Always great prices and true gent to do business with.

and lastly I have provided a link to BBP they have great info on all the sovereigns from years, monarchs & mintage etc:

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/info/sovereign-mintages

Enjoy the ride, you’ll be a gold bug in no time 🤣💸

2 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Thanks, am a gold and silver bug already, but I've kept closer to Brits as I understand those more.

Good stuff, that’s one part of my stack which is slacking 1oz & fractional 999 gold.. 

9 minutes ago, AOB said:

Good stuff, that’s one part of my stack which is slacking 1oz & fractional 999 gold.. 

And this is it, I feel it will bring some balance to the stack

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

9 minutes ago, Gruff said:

And this is it, I feel it will bring some balance to the stack

I totally agree with you, I need to sit down shortly and reevaluate my stacking and see how to proceed for the coming year.. I defiantly need to start pushing more towards 999 gold 

Very pertinent answers as always, but the best value sovereigns are those made in Gibraltar.

Put a "Wanted" advert on forum and buy them at spot with shipping included.

Can't go wrong and the designs are really nice.

Just sayin'...

9 minutes ago, stefffana said:

Very pertinent answers as always, but the best value sovereigns are those made in Gibraltar.

Put a "Wanted" advert on forum and buy them at spot with shipping included.

Can't go wrong and the designs are really nice.

Just sayin'...

Sounds very like a sales pitch..😉😂

2 hours ago, flyingveepixie said:

It might be worth considering some half sovs too if you can find them at a decent price, but often the premium on them is a bit too high I find.  The reason I suggest them is in case spot goes through the roof (or to the moon...😂) and they will maybe be a bit easier to shift quickly if you need to.

My plan also, 1oz coins are a big chunk of money and in a couple of years I see this getting much worse so sticking with 1/4's, sovs, half sovs and 1/10's if I see them without a massive premium.

May be tempted by some crowned silver brits if I see some at a reasonable price.

"To get to where I need to be, I start by walking away from where I am."

26 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

My plan also, 1oz coins are a big chunk of money and in a couple of years I see this getting much worse so sticking with 1/4's, sovs, half sovs and 1/10's if I see them without a massive premium.

May be tempted by some crowned silver brits if I see some at a reasonable price.

And this is it right, with inflation the way it is, at least you're still adding to your stack with smaller weights, but it's still adding...

15 minutes ago, n1k0s said:

Best buy are for those of lowest premium and highest liquidity.

Sovereigns are just ideal.

if you also add their numismatic aspect on top, they are unbeatable

Do you agree with the sentiments above for getting the current coronation ones, followed by Gillicks and then Machins?

26 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Do you agree with the sentiments above for getting the current coronation ones, followed by Gillicks and then Machins?

Personally, no. I don't see a point collecting the coronation ones. It feels like the royal mint tries to spur collectors into buying. 

Again, you need to ask yourself: are the coronations liquid enough in case you need to ever sell? Is there enough of a market? For me, no there isn't. The market is limited. 

38 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Maybe just get one to add to the collection, like a few in the past, you never know how popular they may end up!