• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gazette Proclamation - 75th Birthday of KC III

I’m just not that excited. I think it’s overload from the last two years …and a new proof sovereign.  I bought a couple 1/40th to go with my coronation 1/40 set.  Maybe I’ll make them all into shirt buttons one day……

Also grabbed a half ounce silver just to see what it looks like.  Pass on SOTD

18 minutes ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

It’s almost a day after launch and the SoTD is still available. 

i wonder what the mint would do if the demand/pre-order is less than the maximum mintage? Do they mint less on the actual day? 

My thinking is they will strike the full mintage - it’s not that much - and probably see if they can shift them over the upcoming months.

It doesn't seem to make business sense to preempt sales by limiting mintage prematurely. That’s just imo.

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

My thinking is they will strike the full mintage - it’s not that much - and probably see if they can shift them over the upcoming months.

It doesn't seem to make business sense to preempt sales by limiting mintage prematurely. That’s just imo.

I think you are right.

It's the only 2023 sovereign with a bare head monarch so at some time it could become sought after.  At the moment the price is a problem, especially as it's less than a week since they launched the 2024 proof at £725.

Edited by Olivard

19 hours ago, 9x883 said:

True. I don't think he'll be on the throne for long. He'll probably abdicate within a few years. Perhaps the only birthday coin for him

Why? His mother reigned until her death. He is probably going to have a long innings and reign for twenty five years. He has inherited the genes for long life from both sides.

19 minutes ago, Bixley said:

Why? His mother reigned until her death. He is probably going to have a long innings and reign for twenty five years. He has inherited the genes for long life from both sides.

Yeah, he is literally only 75, and obviously receiving the best of diet and healthcare. Short of some tragic accident, or a sudden diagnosis, I don’t see why he won’t live, and reign, for quite a bit more years. 🤷🏻‍♂️  

Having said that, I do agree that the next big birthday or anniversary worthy of a big celebration would be decades away.

Coincidentally, KC III’s 100th birthday and Silver Jubilee of Coronation would fall in the same year!

Of course, the RM knows this is a looong shot and will likely celebrate other birthdays between now and then, such as his 80th, 85th, 90th etc. They did this for QE II as well, although the SotD shenanigans started only after her 85th birthday.

Edited by westminstrel

21 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Yeah, he is literally only 75, and obviously receiving the best of diet and healthcare. Short of some tragic accident, or a sudden diagnosis, I don’t see why he won’t live, and reign, for quite a bit more years. 🤷🏻‍♂️  

Having said that, I do agree that the next big birthday or anniversary worthy of a big celebration would be decades away.

Coincidentally, KC III’s 100th birthday and Silver Jubilee of Coronation would fall in the same year!

Of course, the RM knows this is a looong shot and will likely celebrate other birthdays between now and then, such as his 80th, 85th, 90th etc. They did this for QE II as well, although the SotD shenanigans started only after her 85th birthday.

Yeah he’s got 20 years at least. 

7 hours ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

It’s almost a day after launch and the SoTD is still available. 

i wonder what the mint would do if the demand/pre-order is less than the maximum mintage? Do they mint less on the actual day? 

Sorry I’ve been away. There’s a SoTD? 

Aaaahhh😉

53 minutes ago, Bixley said:

I think Camilla will say enough is enough when Charles hits 80.

After reading through the comments whilst the SOTD is still available I wonder how many people that can afford and also collect these type of sovereigns will be disappointed when it sells out on the RM website and the dealers increase the price 

On 09/11/2023 at 09:43, Steve66 said:

After reading through the comments whilst the SOTD is still available I wonder how many people that can afford and also collect these type of sovereigns will be disappointed when it sells out on the RM website and the dealers increase the price 

I think they're struggling to shift this one, as I've just had my first ever call from the Mint, reminding me it was available and that I haven't bought it yet.

Personally, I think this one will be available in the secondary market well below £850, but I've been wrong before.

I don't tend to look at dealer's sites, as the prices are usually well above what I'm willing to pay.

2 hours ago, Shinus73 said:

I think they're struggling to shift this one, as I've just had my first ever call from the Mint, reminding me it was available and that I haven't bought it yet.

Personally, I think this one will be available in the secondary market well below £850, but I've been wrong before.

I don't tend to look at dealer's sites, as the prices are usually well above what I'm willing to pay.

The RM site has it 'all currently reserved' now.  By that I presume they mean it'll be back on the market when/if the cancellations come in.

Long term I think it'll do ok as it's the only 2023 sovereign with a bare head king.  What happens in the short term is anyone's guess. They made the mistake of marketing it at £850, less than a week after collectors had already spent £725 on a 2024 proof sovereign.

5 hours ago, Shinus73 said:

I just received this information too

IMG_0590.png

2 minutes ago, AR03 said:

Interesting....this is basically the same sovereign but not SOTD. Now we know where the rest of 100 coins will be (limited edition 750, Maximum mintage 860)

More like 100 or so of the SOTD's were put aside for trade customers and the mints account managers customers. Most likely didn't bite so they are still available.

Don't be surprised if there isn't a 2 box presentation with both of them from this year by xmas.

2 hours ago, Olivard said:

That would be a clever move by RM as those who missed out in May try to buy.  It'll no doubt be sold at a hefty premium. 

I managed to get the coronations SOTD in May and I purchased the the 75 birthday one I know it’s an extremely expensive price of £850