• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gazette Proclamation - 75th Birthday of KC III

9 hours ago, AR03 said:

Interesting....this is basically the same sovereign but not SOTD. Now we know where the rest of 100 coins will be (limited edition 750, Maximum mintage 860)

Not sure what your understanding is… these are all the same SotD Sovereign, struck on Nov 14.

The RM just set aside 100 for (likely) Mint Marque members, trade partners etc., and as demand is (probably) low, they are now just using a FOMO tactic to sell them as a last chance offer rather than increasing the allocation available for purchase directly off the website.

On 11/11/2023 at 09:50, westminstrel said:

Not sure what your understanding is… these are all the same SotD Sovereign, struck on Nov 14.

The RM just set aside 100 for (likely) Mint Marque members, trade partners etc., and as demand is (probably) low, they are now just using a FOMO tactic to sell them as a last chance offer rather than increasing the allocation available for purchase directly off the website.

Gone from all currently reserved at the mint to no longer available so I presume they managed to sell all of the 100 over the weekend to Mint Marque members.

On 11/11/2023 at 00:04, AR03 said:

Interesting....this is basically the same sovereign but not SOTD. Now we know where the rest of 100 coins will be (limited edition 750, Maximum mintage 860)

Isn't the SOTD a Matte finish, so this sounds like something totally different.

43 minutes ago, Steve66 said:

How do you find out how many is in stock thanks 

Depends on the product, but sometimes you just need to play with the quantity numbers to find out the available stock on BBP. In this case we have 750 SOTD 75th birthday sovereigns so I assume that BBP allocation is approx 50 or less.. you just enter a number in the box and the system will return current available stock to purchase. Same works for Chards, Atkinsons and HGM. Tavex’s system is not picking up available stock.

38 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

They’re the same SotD Sovereign. The RM is using the terms “frosted” and “matte” interchangeably.

This is bizarre.  It was bad enough to call the matte coins, Brilliant Uncirculated (I never understood how something could be matte and at the same time Brilliant!), but now to say they are frosted, this is just weird.  Surely the proofs are frosted?

7 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

This is bizarre.  It was bad enough to call the matte coins, Brilliant Uncirculated (I never understood how something could be matte and at the same time Brilliant!), but now to say they are frosted, this is just weird.  Surely the proofs are frosted?

I thought it was the opposite for proof's. Highly polished and reflective? Or am I just imagining it? Happy to be corrected.

11 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

Do any UK dealers have these available does anyone know?  RM has gone from all reserves to no longer available. 

Bullion by Post and Allgold has them

BBP is a £100 cheaper! They're offering them at the issue price of £850.

17 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

On a Proof coin, frosting refers to the textured or matte portion of the design, as opposed to the reflective or mirrored “field”.

For a typical Proof coin, taking the obverse as an example, the frosted / matte portion is King Charles’ portrait.

So if a coin is fully frosted (has no mirrored areas), it can indeed be called a matte coin.

But yes, the interchangeable terminology can make one’s head spin.

Thanks for the explanation.

28 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

On a Proof coin, frosting refers to the textured or matte portion of the design, as opposed to the reflective or mirrored “field”.

For a typical Proof coin, taking the obverse as an example, the frosted / matte portion is King Charles’ portrait.

So if a coin is fully frosted (has no mirrored areas), it can indeed be called a matte coin.

But yes, the interchangeable terminology can make one’s head spin.

The RM is confused themselves. They came up with the idea of BUNC then found they look the same as proof, so they decided to strike the proof coins 6 times (and still cr*p with some having smooth surface others wavy). I have a 2017 BUNC five sov which looks exactly the same as proof on reverse, and the obverse is different only because the portrait and legend aren't frosted. 

The 1902 is probably the proper matt proof they made. Then you have matt BUNC today (as in SOTD and the big £5 ones) and full-frosted proof (as in British Monarchs Henry 7th and 8th), they're not that different. There are also those coronation matt 2oz no one knows if they're proof or BUNC

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

3 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

The RM is confused themselves. They came up with the idea of BUNC then found they look the same as proof, so they decided to strike the proof coins 6 times (and still cr*p with some having smooth surface others wavy). I have a 2017 BUNC five sov which looks exactly the same as proof on reverse, and the obverse is different only because the portrait and legend aren't frosted. 

The 1902 is probably the proper matt proof they made. Then you have matt BUNC today (as in SOTD and the big £5 ones) and full-frosted proof (as in British Monarchs Henry 7th and 8th), they're not that different. There are also those coronation matt 2oz no one knows if they're proof or BUNC

Yes. They have mucked about a bit in the past and seem to have only recently settled on something that clearly differentiates the various varieties. However, they still sometimes blur the lines by calling some matte coins proof and others BU. 🫤

Question is.. is the £5 Matt BUNC with lower mintage the better buy over a more expensive single £5 if you had the choice of a split set? The matte has really grown on me tbh. 

Aaaahhh😉

Just now, Agaupl said:

Question is.. is the £5 Matt BUNC with lower mintage the better buy over a more expensive single £5 if you had the choice of a split set? The matte has really grown on me tbh. 

I personally do like the matte Sovereigns, including the SotDs which also have plain edges, and not just because they have lower mintages. 

2 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

Buy both

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Just now, westminstrel said:

I personally do like the matte Sovereigns, including the SotDs which also have plain edges, and not just because they have lower mintages. 

No the whole thing is great. But the lower mintage and price has made me think again about what’s preferable between them and the £5 proof. 

Just now, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Buy both

If someone ever buys my sales thread then no prob… 🤣

Aaaahhh😉

14 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Just to confound things even more, proof sovereigns are only struck 3 times, which I'm sure is the same amount of times most BU coins are struck.

46 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

Do any UK dealers have these available does anyone know?  RM has gone from all reserves to no longer available. 

https://ukgoldcoins.co.uk/product/2024-gold-sovereign-strike-on-the-day-king-charles-75th-birthday/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=2024-gold-sovereign-strike-on-the-day-king-charles-75th-birthday

they have two in stock 

38 minutes ago, Steve66 said:

They have added £30 to the price. At least it's not £100 like Allgold. BBP still the cheapest - not something you say too often.