• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Half sovereigns. Are they worth buying?

With the state of gold prices these days I'm becoming attracted to buying fractionals especially half sovereigns - despite the additional premium over full sovs.

I quite like the idea of spending smaller amounts of cash yet still managing to keep the gold fever at bay :D 

Any thoughts?

Edited by CazLikesCoins
typo

8 minutes ago, CazLikesCoins said:

With the state of gold prices these days I'm becoming attracted to buying fractionals especially half sovereigns - despite the additional premium over full sovs.

I quite like the idea of spending smaller amounts of cash yet still managing to keep the gold fever at bay :D 

Any thoughts?

Great option, especially if gold is heading where we think it's heading in next 5 years. 

They often pop up at half the price of a full on here, £400/£200 respectively. So really not if any premium over their counterpart at all. ( obviously dealers are different)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Bullion is bullion and it's the gold content that matters. But 1 sovereign is already fractional (bit under 1/4oz) and many people mix them with quarter eagle, quarter Brits, etc.

If you are talking about collectable coins most would prefer £1 and £5 if not completing a set. At least you know £1/2 were once circulated and have no obvious downsides. £1/4 pieces are a modern invention and are a bit unnoticeable. Not to mention the £1/8 jokes from the likes of Hattons of London and London Mint Office. Even from serious mints there are 1/40oz coins which are completely pointless.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

Great option, especially if gold is heading where we think it's heading in next 5 years. 

They often pop up at half the price of a full on here, £400/£200 respectively. So really not if any premium over their counterpart at all. ( obviously dealers are different)

I'm thinking same thoughts. A 'To da' moon' scenario whereby even 1/10ths become lucrative. Perhaps a few fractionals are a good investment after all thus tamping down the fever and having a few pennies left over to keep the heat on and eat once in a while. What am I thinking! What's eating? Where's the sovs at! :D 

1 minute ago, SeatonKev said:

Worth keeping a eye on what's selling at auction. Half sovereigns seem to go unnoticed by a lot of buyers. There was loads sold last week at a coin auction for spot or below, even with the 26 percent buyers fees added. 

I'm a frog of few ponds. That way I don't get eaten by randoms selling chocolate coins. I even get put off of slabbed coins if the scratches don't match up on the website pix lol.

9 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Bullion is bullion and it's the gold content that matters. But 1 sovereign is already fractional (bit under 1/4oz) and many people mix them with quarter eagle, quarter Brits, etc.

If you are talking about collectable coins most would prefer £1 and £5 if not completing a set. At least you know £1/2 were once circulated and have no obvious downsides. £1/4 pieces are a modern invention and are a bit unnoticeable. Not to mention the £1/8 jokes from the likes of Hattons of London and London Mint Office. Even from serious mints there are 1/40oz coins which are completely pointless.

I don't usually bother with collectibles. Finding buyers who will spend extra on some coins I spent ££££s on because I happen to like the jib of a tiny crown on a long dead queen makes my stress levels rise just thinking about it. Bullion all the way.

I started picking up half sovereigns over the last few months for exactly this reason. Todays ‘affordable’ sovereign for the masses may become a little less attainable in years to come and half Sovs  may fulfil that requirement (as well as satiating your need to buy more gold 🤣)

4 minutes ago, JamesH said:

I started picking up half sovereigns over the last few months for exactly this reason. Todays ‘affordable’ sovereign for the masses may become a little less attainable in years to come and half Sovs  may fulfil that requirement (as well as satiating your need to buy more gold 🤣)

Exactly. I think I'm on a sliding scale inevitably heading towards a 1 gram bar. :D 

As the gold price continues to rise half sovereigns will be in high demand.

Its better to have a half of something than a half of nothing if it fulfils your gold buying goals.

Either that or we’ll all be cutting full sovereigns in half to sell like they did in Medieval times with hammered coins.

12 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

As the gold price continues to rise half sovereigns will be in high demand.

Its better to have a half of something than a half of nothing if it fulfils your gold buying goals.

Either that or we’ll all be cutting full sovereigns in half to sell like they did in Medieval times with hammered coins.

At this rate we'll be selling capsules that once held a sov to eager purchasers wanting a sniff of where gold once lay. Bit like buying autographs or Madonnas old knickers on eBay. Worthless yet profitable.

10 minutes ago, Solachesis said:

I've been tempted to pick some up, but so many are total clangers. Seriously what are people doing to Machin halves, they are not circulation coins but most look like they've gone through a blender. 

Letting them slip through your fingers like sand. Not that I do this myself because I'm mainly 1oz and £1 sovereigns, but I imagine it's good fun, especially if you've already 20% up. I might buy a few dozens of quarter sovereigns just to play with, in the future anyway.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

15 hours ago, CANV said:

we will all be pound trillionaires. and it will be the FTSE 10,000.  but a pint of milk will cost 92,000 digital credits 

But you'll only be able to buy it within 0.8km of your registered housing cubicle and it will expire within 6 hours. The reminder to be recycled into insect toppings to keep what's lefty of your body after implants and vaccines in a semi nutritional state. All will swear allegiance to Satan by way of the 666 hand nodule or face starvation and homelessness. Mass panic, mass migration, lockdowns, jabs killing millions. Not much difference then lol.

Costco, membership implants, overpriced digital sovs displayed on screens instead of cabinets, nothing tangible, nothing edible nothing buyable, chips in hands, chips in heads, chips in bums, but no 'kin chips in their freezers why? Because we're all eating bugs that's why! 

...... 🤪

Edited by CazLikesCoins
Costco upgrade

18 minutes ago, CazLikesCoins said:

But you'll only be able to buy it within 0.8km of your registered housing cubicle and it will expire within 6 hours. The reminder to be recycled into insect toppings to keep what's lefty of your body after implants and vaccines in a semi nutritional state. All will swear allegiance to Satan by way of the 666 hand nodule or face starvation and homelessness. Mass panic, mass migration, lockdowns, jabs killing millions. Not much difference then lol.

Someone get this girl a coffee ffs lol

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

42 minutes ago, CazLikesCoins said:

Or indeed millions of low hopeless homeless and helpless parroting puppet Frankenstein master race earphone radio slavery of the Worldwide Mad Deadly Communist Gangster Computer God [Francis E. Dec, 1971-1985]