• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Half sovereigns. Are they worth buying?

1 hour ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Or indeed millions of low hopeless homeless and helpless parroting puppet Frankenstein master race earphone radio slavery of the Worldwide Mad Deadly Communist Gangster Computer God [Francis E. Dec, 1971-1985]

Couldn't have put it better myself 

I have a few half sovs from earlier big events when a half was all I could/would afford.  Have an 89, 2002, 2012.  They are still nice to look at, not that much smaller, and certainly more affordable.  Usually the mintage is smaller and that helps collectibility.  

I see them pop up at Chards and Britannia for fair prices.  I happen to be a raw coin guy so I like the box, COA, etc.  If you prefer slabbed, graded coins they are out there as well in large quantities 

All that said the real market seems to be in full sovs and sets, but buy and enjoy what you can afford.

On 10/05/2023 at 19:02, CazLikesCoins said:

With the state of gold prices these days I'm becoming attracted to buying fractionals especially half sovereigns - despite the additional premium over full sovs.

I quite like the idea of spending smaller amounts of cash yet still managing to keep the gold fever at bay :D 

Any thoughts?

My thoughts are the same as yours, and as full sovs continue to grow in price and more and more people get involved in PMs not all of them will have full sov money so the half sov market could become a much bigger scene in coming years

On 10/05/2023 at 20:37, CANV said:

they will be bringing out the 9 carat sov soon. the balance made up with eco friendly hemp 

I never thought of reducing the gold content but it's obvious if gold rockets. A mate showed my a 1/40 Charles coin he bought. I guess in future like baseball cards it'll be the condition of the cardboard (holder) that makes it valuable 

Another question.  If the mint debased the sovereign would people still buy it ? I'm sure they would especially if they wrapped it in a nice box with a certificate.  Would they , can they ? I can't see it ever happening but gold is getting very expensive.  

Edited by pricha

Im starting to be tempted by halves. Seem to have spent my way into a bit of a hole at the moment (keep an eye on the today i recieved thread for further updates lol) so half sovs may be the way to keep the spending all my money dream alive 😄

1 hour ago, CazLikesCoins said:

Just ordered a half sov. Nice way to get into fractionals without going microscopic.

Mind you, one gram bars still do it for me. Bet they'll be £150 quid a pop in five years 😄

Yeh, ive got a couple of 1g bars. Nice to look at (when ive got my specs on).

4 hours ago, AaaGee said:

Yeh, ive got a couple of 1g bars. Nice to look at (when ive got my specs on).

it's ok when they come on a billboard sized wrapper :D A bit of random variation in the mix does a soul good and gold still seems to be on its way steadily to da mooooOOOOooon.  I'm going all out on a 1/10th Brit next.