• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coronation Coin in Gazette Proclamation?

@westminstrel Always a pleasure seeing you go to the effort to post this information  Looks like they can't make their mind up what they are going to mint.....by the looks of it, a £5 pound coronation coin, with it being cupro-nickel something thats likely to be an unlimited run similar to other coronation coins.......Just waiting to see if they do a coronation proof sovereign set.  

Coronation coin, they will want to cover all the nations individually  making up Great Britain, plus a coin to include us all together. No doubt sell as individuals and as some sort of set to make as much as possible. No need to queue as there will be hundreds of thousands, plus🤔🫢

5 hours ago, westminstrel said:

In the Gazette Proclamation for the British Monarchs - Charles I coin, there’s a strange description given for the cupro-nickel coin which doesn’t match the descriptions for the rest of the denominations.

It states:

For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · D · G · REX · F · D · 5 POUNDS ·” and the date of the year;

For the reverse either:

(a) a depiction three lions passant guardant, being that quartering of Our Royal Arms known heraldically as England and the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”; or

(b) a depiction lion rampant within a double tressure flory counter-flory, being that quartering of Our Royal Arms known heraldically as Scotland and the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”; or

(c) a depiction of a dragon passant, being Our Badge for Wales and the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”; or

(d) a depiction of a celtic cross charged at the centre with an annulet therein a pimpernel flower and overall an ancient torque, symbolising that part of Our United Kingdom known as Northern Ireland and the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”; or

(e) a depiction of a lion, a unicorn, a stag and a dragon surrounding a crown accompanied by the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”.

Source: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/4277741

These designs seem like something that would work for a Coronation themed range of coins. Thoughts?

Thanks for spotting and posting this and the others as usual.

... and I though I was going to have a nice quiet weekend!

😎

Chards

All five of those in a set would be pretty smart, I think.  Probably will cost about £100 assuming it comes in a nice folder or something.  

Be even better if they made them in 1/4 oz gold bullion, or 1 oz silver bullion...

I bought the Cupro-Nickel £5 Platinum Jubilee coin last year and I think that's an absolute belter of a design.

Was too slow for the proofs of that design and they were somewhat pricey (but I would love to own them in 1oz gold and 1oz platinum).

I'll be happy with a Cupro-Nickel coronation coin, or coins.

On 17/02/2023 at 13:01, westminstrel said:

In the Gazette Proclamation for the British Monarchs - Charles I coin, there’s a strange description given for the cupro-nickel coin which doesn’t match the descriptions for the rest of the denominations.

It states:

For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · D · G · REX · F · D · 5 POUNDS ·” and the date of the year;

For the reverse either:

(a) a depiction three lions passant guardant, being that quartering of Our Royal Arms known heraldically as England and the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”; or

(b) a depiction lion rampant within a double tressure flory counter-flory, being that quartering of Our Royal Arms known heraldically as Scotland and the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”; or

(c) a depiction of a dragon passant, being Our Badge for Wales and the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”; or

(d) a depiction of a celtic cross charged at the centre with an annulet therein a pimpernel flower and overall an ancient torque, symbolising that part of Our United Kingdom known as Northern Ireland and the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”; or

(e) a depiction of a lion, a unicorn, a stag and a dragon surrounding a crown accompanied by the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”.

Source: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/4277741

These designs seem like something that would work for a Coronation themed range of coins. Thoughts?

On 17/02/2023 at 13:08, GoldDiggerDave said:

@westminstrel Always a pleasure seeing you go to the effort to post this information  Looks like they can't make their mind up what they are going to mint.....by the looks of it, a £5 pound coronation coin, with it being cupro-nickel something thats likely to be an unlimited run similar to other coronation coins.......Just waiting to see if they do a coronation proof sovereign set.  

On 17/02/2023 at 15:26, Petra said:

Coronation coin, they will want to cover all the nations individually  making up Great Britain, plus a coin to include us all together. No doubt sell as individuals and as some sort of set to make as much as possible. No need to queue as there will be hundreds of thousands, plus🤔🫢

On 17/02/2023 at 18:39, Stuntman said:

All five of those in a set would be pretty smart, I think.  Probably will cost about £100 assuming it comes in a nice folder or something.  

Be even better if they made them in 1/4 oz gold bullion, or 1 oz silver bullion...

A first thought about a Welsh dragon design:

2023kingcharlesiiiwales5poundsMOCKUP.thumb.jpg.3feda0ebeb1b31d5093c6c04eef2ac80.jpg

Although "5 Pounds" makes it a rather lightweight dragon!

😎

Chards

At the end of the day, from previous coronations there have been some really great coins, issued individually and in sets, let’s just hope that continues later this year with a variety that enables lots of people to get something at a wide as possible price point. 🤔🫢(and decent quality!)

• 3 weeks later...

I did some poking around to see if any current / past coins might give us an idea of what these could look like.

Here we go…

(a) a depiction three lions passant guardant, being that quartering of Our Royal Arms known heraldically as England and the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”; or

image.jpeg.097f4da9d3644576d7f5586da8462a45.jpeg

(b) a depiction lion rampant within a double tressure flory counter-flory, being that quartering of Our Royal Arms known heraldically as Scotland and the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”; or

image.jpeg.90632d388e34c5a3cd16a579bd227948.jpeg

(c) a depiction of a dragon passant, being Our Badge for Wales and the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”; or

image.jpeg.1af66a8512f9439b97261d9f60bd8e37.jpeg

(d) a depiction of a celtic cross charged at the centre with an annulet therein a pimpernel flower and overall an ancient torque, symbolising that part of Our United Kingdom known as Northern Ireland and the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”; or

image.jpeg.0b59941e052fb1c4d479543d5966d81d.jpeg

(e) a depiction of a lion, a unicorn, a stag and a dragon surrounding a crown accompanied by the inscription “FIVE POUNDS”.

image.jpeg.e7ff8ceef81bf58fc05d2621344e1289.jpeg

Edited by westminstrel

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/04/2023 at 10:37, westminstrel said:

I just wanted to resurrect this thread because I have a feeling that along with the Coronation Proof Sovereign range, we might see some “sets” containing these coins, as they aptly represent the four nations of the UK.

Would it blow your mind to discover that most of the coins mentioned in this thread have already been released? :) 

At least, I think so - I think they are the cupronickel £5 proof coins exclusively available from the shop at the Royal Mint Experience. The Wales, NI and England ones have already come out, and the Scotland one should be next out in a few months.

The last one in the list sounds like the 2022 Four Nations £5 base proof coin that was released over a year ago, so I wonder if they will be re-releasing it as a sort of completer coin with the KC III obverse.

The 2022 Four Nations coin had a maximum mintage of 7,500, but incredibly remained in stock for a whole year. None of the new individual country ones have limits but are still exclusive to RME, so I don't think we'll be seeing sets of these being sold.

• 2 weeks later...

From 9am you'll be able to buy the three lions one on the RM website in BU and silver proof. I think they'll end up doing all 4 coins like that.

The base metal proofs are still going to be exclusive to the RME shop I hope! 

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/limited-editions/2023-national-celebrations-womens-football-world-cup/pride-of-england-2023-crown-silver-proof-coin/

Unlimited mintage on the £5 silver proof (limited only by time (3 months?))

And the bunc for £14.50

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/limited-editions/2023-national-celebrations-womens-football-world-cup/pride-of-england-2023-crown-brilliant-uncirculated-coin/

Makes the base metal proof look like good value at £20 and shows there must be quite a huge markup on the silver proofs that can't be explained away as manufacturing costs.

@paulmerton - I saw this and thought of you. 🙂

Separately, I love the little logo they’ve added to the box for the silver proof coin.

I hope they will do something similar at least for the Coronation Proof Sovereigns. The box for the SotD is the most boring packaging ever and I thought (hoped!) they’d do something special as it was part of the Coronation range. I’m secretly hoping the Proof sets will also be slightly different from the regular ones. Coronation year and all that. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/05/2023 at 17:28, paulmerton said:

The last one in the list sounds like the 2022 Four Nations £5 base proof coin that was released over a year ago, so I wonder if they will be re-releasing it as a sort of completer coin with the KC III obverse.

Haha, called it!

They have just released a new 2023-dated Four Nations coin with the exact same reverse design as the 2022 one as far as I can tell, but with KC III on the obverse.

You can also get a presentation box for all 5 coins in the base proof coin set.

52 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Haha, called it!

They have just released a new 2023-dated Four Nations coin with the exact same reverse design as the 2022 one as far as I can tell, but with KC III on the obverse.

You can also get a presentation box for all 5 coins in the base proof coin set.

What? Where? You always have the best inside information. 😎

6 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

What? Where? You always have the best inside information. 😎

They're exclusively available from the shop at the Royal Mint Experience again. No edition limit, unlike the 2022 coin which had a limit of 7,500.